EM.TV to Sell Muppets to Jim Henson's Children for $89 Million

radionate

Reaction score
What I would like to know is:
  • What will Charlie's role be in the company now
  • Are the kids just looking at this as a continuation of thier father's legacy, or are they going to turn around and sell the company again in a few years for more money
  • Will Brian be doing his characters now (I know there was talk around here when he stepped down that he wouldn't carry on with his stable of felt troops, i.e. Sal)
  • Will this cause more bad blood between the company and Eisner? Will there be any chances of crossover projects?
  • Will they focus on the main troop of Muppets, or repeat history and focus more on the creature shop

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So is it too soon to start raising frog-labeled banners in honor of the homecoming and start singing "Together Again"? And a few questions...
What does this mean for the overall company's promotion of the Muppets?
What does this mean for future seasons, should there be any, of Sesame Street?
What does this mean for, should they happen, any future Muppet crossovers?
What does this mean, if anything, for the future of the vonderful vork done by Palisades Toys with their current Muppet action figure line?

Great thanks go out to those who can shed some light on these new Muppety mysteries. Thanks and have a good day.

ZootandDingo

Reaction score
This is fantastic news!!!!!!

Let us hope that mouse never rears its ugly head again.

:cool:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
They've started the process. They still need approval, though. Though at Hoover's Online the Henson Company is listed as "Private" again.

And Phil, when you add this to the timeline, call them the Jim Henson Family, and not his children or kids. They are of course, but Family is just sounds classier and more official.

And also, we've broken the "most users ever online" thing from 2/27/03. And we're nearing 200. And what better day to break that mark, eh? Let's keep it up!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Raisin,

the reason we broke it is because everyone on the mailing list got an email telling them what has happened today, So they want to come and read the press release and post.

see ya

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
PRAISE THE LORD! AMEN!! HALLELUJAH!!!

Never again shall I threaten to thwarp Brian Henson in the back of his head with my rubber chicken!!

He has totally and undeniably just redeemed himself of the EM.TV mistake all those years ago.

I had no idea, and was terrified that it was between Disney and Classic Media, and am SO thrilled to find out who the unnamed party bidding on the JHC was the 'Jim Henson Five' all along!!

Yes, that's what I shall call them now: The Jim Henson Five.

OOOH! I'm so happ-ee!!

I offer up a celebratory
WOCKA! WOCKA!!

Daylight

Reaction score
Woah! :eek: Wow! :excited: And Wohoo!!!!!! :smile:

I may be a bit emotional due to my current life circumstances, but I swear reading the email from Phil started me crying. :cry:

I'd just like to say 'Good Luck' to the Henson Family. It's a rough road ahead, but I believe you're the best people for the job. :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
http://search.cnn.com/cnn/search?source=cnn&invocationType=search/top&sites=cnn&query=HENSON
I don't know what CNN.com was thinking by applying a photo of Elmo and Hoots the Owl from Sesame Street as part of this story, but I suppose as a news reporter it isn't your job to be 100% accurate :rolleyes: :
Muppet family back together

Wednesday, May 7, 2003 Posted: 11:59 AM EDT (1559 GMT)

FRANKFURT, Germany (Reuters) -- Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy and their Muppet friends are homeward bound.

Ailing German media company EM.TV & Merchandising AG said on Wednesday it agreed to sell Jim Henson Co., the producer of the Muppets, to the children of their creator -- the late Jim Henson -- for $89 million.

The deal ends a nearly two-year hunt for a buyer.

Taking more turns than Miss Piggy's mood, the auction had attracted interest from several media firms, including giant Walt Disney Corp., media investor Haim Saban and a group around investor Dean Valentine.

EM.TV bought Henson from the family for $680 million at the peak of the stock market bubble in 2000. It has since sold off pieces of the company, including the Sesame Street characters and its stake in children's network Noggin.

Five Henson siblings would be on the 45-year-old company's board. Two of them, Brian and Lisa Henson, would help manage Henson and its singing, wise-cracking puppets.

The brand and its licensing contracts have suffered under EM.TV's management, according to industry insiders, despite the success of a recent made-for-TV Christmas movie.

"We will be actively exploring new and expanded strategic relationships," Brian Henson said in a statement.

EM.TV said the Henson family would pay $78 million in cash for the characters, the TV and motion picture production companies and the special effects unit known as the Creature Shop.

EM.TV, which would keep Henson Co.'s current liquid assets of $11 million, said it would use the proceeds from the sale to pay back a 12.5 million euro ($14.3 million) loan and to improve its cash position.

Just five weeks ago, Disney Chief Executive Michael Eisner said at an industry conference that he thought the company was close to a deal for Henson, one it walked away from more than a decade ago.

Disney had been set to buy the Muppets in 1990, but pulled out after Jim Henson, the company's heart and soul, died suddenly.

Goldman Sachs advised the Henson family, and Allen & Co. advised EM.TV.

Reaction score
Who are the henson kids?

This is Wonderful news (Breaths a sigh of relief). I am very excited that it is going back to the Henson's. :smile:

:confused:
But I was courious about the Bio's on the Henson kids.
I know Who Brian is and what he has been doing with his life, Lisa I kind of know about, I know even less about Cheryl. And I know nothing about Heather or John. What have they done in there lives? What are they doing know? Have they all had an active role in Henson? Whats the scoop on Jim's kids. If anyone know Please share I am very intersted to find out more about them. :halo: