Do the Academy Awards need a new category?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
There does not need to be a separate Best Comedy category. That would mean they would have to get rid of the Best Picture altogether and also add a Best Drama. However, then you get into the whole thing where you might as well also add separate cetegories for all other genres: Action/Adventure, Horror/Thriller, Western, etc. And so many films have a mixture of all those styles. That is what the Best Picture award what it is. It is supposed to be the "Best Picture of the Year" of all the different kinds of films. I understand why they just recently added a category dedicated to animated films. That is okay because it is such a specialized form of filmmaking and should have its own award.
In that case, maybe there should be a seperate academy awards show for each individual genere. I'm just tired of so many movies that I haven't seen and don't care for getting nominations, while very few of the ones I have seen and cared about don't get nothing.

I'm especially steamed over Lord of the Rings: Return of the King getting 13 awards in one year. Bruce Almighty should have been nominated for Best Special Effects, for petes sake.

MGov

Reaction score
What was so great about the SFX in "Bruce Almighty"?

And "Return of the King" won 11 oscars.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
In that case, maybe there should be a seperate academy awards show for each individual genere. I'm just tired of so many movies that I haven't seen and don't care for getting nominations, while very few of the ones I have seen and cared about don't get nothing.

I'm especially steamed over Lord of the Rings: Return of the King getting 13 awards in one year. Bruce Almighty should have been nominated for Best Special Effects, for petes sake.

As I recall (and maybe i am wrong) Return of the King got a lot of awards when the Two Towers didn't really get any. Probably because they were waiting for the end of the trilogy and all those awards seemed to go to the entire trilogy overall.

I know what you mean in some cases. Heck, I was just excited enough that James Cromwell got a nomination for Babe, but honestly I didn't expect him to win. .

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I definitely think that there should be an ensemble cast award, and maybe something separate for comedies since even the really good ones rarely get the recognition they deserve.
Erin

D'Snowth

Reaction score
MGov said:
And Rachel Blanchard would be my nominee for blonde Canadian actresses.
For real, or was that to get my...*don't say goat!* don't say goat!*