Disney's Widescreen "for Dummies"

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The new Treasure Planet DVD is released only in widescreen. For a DVD to be released exclusively in widescreen is not entirely uncommon, but Disney's reputation on the matter has been spotty. They included a visual representation in the pamphlet that clears up the widescreen matter for those who aren't...(clears throat) informed.

I hope this helps clear up the issue with the public and gives us the opportunity to see a high quality widescreen image. It even mentions the zoom feature on most DVD players so that the "full screen" fans can view the cropped image they desire.

I have said much on the matter of widescreen and eventually all media will turn to the format, but I find a development of this sort very encouraging.

Here is a scan of the image.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
thank you teacher frog

Sarah

so does this mean I AM a dummy?

scarecroe

Reaction score
That is encouraging. Although not entirely surprising given how well the film did at the BO. However, they did it just the same. This could mean good things if they ever decide to reissue MTI and MCC someday.

scarecroe

Reaction score
I should also say that I'm not crazy about the image comparison shots they chose to use though. The cropped version isn't really omitting anything prominent enough in the shot to really make a point to those less informed. If they really want to make a case, a conversation scene is not the way to go, but rather an establishing shot, battle scene or landscape with more going on. I've seen poor choices mad ein such comparisons elsewhere as well, and I always wish they'd try a little harder to sell the idea.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree. They should have picked a better image. Some people probably won't even notice the differences, but this is a step in the right direction - and more than a baby step. Plus, I have the suspicion that it will reduce the number of tech support phone calls from unenlightened people.

I also wonder if Disney picks up the Henson empire - will a collector's edition of MCC and MTI be far behind? Who knows. They might treat the Muppets better if they own the entire property.

scarecroe

Reaction score
I'd love to hear a taped call from someone reaching support complaining about black bars on their TV.

And yeah... oh boy I'd love to see Collector's Edition versions of MCC and MTI. I mean, dang, just reissues with widescreen transfers would be fine with me.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
I'd love to hear a taped call from someone reaching support complaining about black bars on their TV.

support person: Hello?

stoopid person: yes hello? i was watching my new (blah blah) movie and there are these weird black bars on the bottom and top of my screen...is it broken

support person: *puts hand over phone and laughs*

Sarah

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a widescreen reissue would be more than enough for me. Whatever is more cost effective would be the way to go. Different cover art, booklet and maybe an added clip on the DVD would make for an economical collector's edition that would set it apart from the pan and scan release. BTW Does anyone else really hate the term “full frame”? It is so misleading. To the ignorant person it sounds like the widescreen version is the one that’s missing something.

Luke

Reaction score
Disney released MCC in Widescreen over here and MTI was in full screen so i guess their strategy is a little messed up but apparently they think we are more into 'widescreen' than you guys - but it does go to show that they don't have any kind of problem getting this Muppet stuff out on Widescreen, they are just being stuff about it in the states. I hope they sort this attitude out, and ok it probably won't be until the current releases are deleted, but i'd think that in a couple of years they'd release them as widescreen collectors editions.

radionate

Reaction score
I just picked up the DVD last night (along with Futurama's 1st season, woo hoo!) and was surprised when I was going over the box in the store that it was only the widescreen edition.

I won't have a chance to watch the DVD until mid next week, but how are the special features on the disc? I was pretty impressed with Lilo and Stitch (both the features and the film itself), but I'm not to excited about this one yet.