Disney's Widescreen "for Dummies"

scarecroe

Reaction score
Well, how well are MCC and MTI selling in the states? I'd think at best the sales are below average, especially in comparison to the titles that they spend oodles on to promote. It's a shame too, because they did nice things with the menus for MTI (and I've heard for MCC). Anyway, point being that there's a good chance that they'll be removed from the catalogue and with any luck reissued within 6 months from then hopefully with widescreen transfers. It happens alla time.

Yeah, full frame is a rotten term. How about CROPPED?... or BROKEN?... or THE VERSION THAT MUTILATES THE DIRECTOR'S VISION? Heh :smirk:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
See, now THIS is what I'm talking about. :smile: If you want to please fans of both formats, release it in widescreen and then EDUCATE people on how to zoom in if they prefer that the whole screen be filled. We were talking about this in another thread (Roger Rabbit, perhaps?) and I could never quite get across my point that the studios don't need to release two versions of every movie (or as in the Disney/Muppet movie cases, one crummy version).

Incidentally, the person calling Tech Support about the black bars on their TV is probably the same person who needs to get their soda can out of their computer's CD drive. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
Incidentally, the person calling Tech Support about the black bars on their TV is probably the same person who needs to get their soda can out of their computer's CD drive. :wink:
...yeah, and wondering why their CDs don't play in the toaster. :eek:

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
-ring ring-

Tech support; Hello?

Costomer; Hello, I just bought a new DVD and there are these black bars aross the top and bottom of the screen. What does that mean?

Tech support; That you're an idiot.

Costomer; Okay then, thanks…

-click-

wolfy

Reaction score
Um...has anyone here really watched regularly programmed television lately?

Shows such as ER and some of the Law & Order programs, as well as others are now being shown in widescreen.

Or hasn't anyone noticed?

Also, if anyone has Showtime, HBO, Cinemax, FMC, TMC, AMC, Starz, Encore! or any of the other major movie channels, they too have widescreen versions of the movies.

If you will look in your schedules or guides for programming each week, you will see "LB" by a lot of the movies and television programs any more. This means "letter box" or "wide screen."

Where is the need for "Disney for Dummies?" Seems to me that this is basically standard practice nowadays...
wolfy

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I've brought up that point many times (in MC articles and other threads). Even after half of prime time dramas are broadcast in widescreen, there are consumers in America who still don't get it for some reason. Or, at least companies that don't think they do. You'd be surprised how uninformed some people still are about the issue. I certainly am. There has been confusion on that front even around here. This is not the first mention of the subject. It has been discussed quite a bit. :zany:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by Crazy Harry
-ring ring-

Tech support; Hello?

Costomer; Hello, I just bought a new DVD and there are these black bars aross the top and bottom of the screen. What does that mean?

Tech support; That you're an idiot.

Costomer; Okay then, thanks…

-click-
that was hilarious!

Sarah

but what's sad it that it's kinda true.....

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know... I hate when TV shows go to Widescreen format just to make them look "COOLER"

Worst yet? Remember that year (2001 or 2002) when all the commercials were widescreen for NO APPARENT REASON?!?!??!?!?!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
"for Dummies?"!!!!

Who you callin' dummy??

I may be stoopit, but I'm no dummy!!

:zany: :crazy: :embarrassed:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
You know... I hate when TV shows go to Widescreen format just to make them look "COOLER"

Worst yet? Remember that year (2001 or 2002) when all the commercials were widescreen for NO APPARENT REASON?!?!??!?!?!
It isn't to make them look cooler, it's because widescreen is becoming the new format. Commercials are another matter. Many new programs are shot on widescreen so they will be compatible in the future. It increases their syndication value too. Yeah, they could crop the widescreen image for TV, but why? It adds more expense to properly crop the shots without cutting out important information and directors don’t like it. Some programs like Boston Public shoot in widescreen and broadcast that version on a separate signal. I’d actually rather see the image in widescreen. I can't believe that after all the widescreen threads and discussion on MC there’s still quite a bit of confusion about the issue.