Disney's Muppets Problem: Can the Franchise Reckon With Its Boys' Club Culture?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I really think MTI was one of Steve's best performances as Kermit. Speaking of MTI, I recently learned that apparently Brian was often absent from the production, because he kept partying to the point of making himself sick.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
This article is a bit too tabloid for my taste.

That said, I certainly agree that Disney has no clue what it should be doing with the Muppets. I also can certainly understand why Brian Henson would resent having to deal with the Muppets, if what the article says is true. I could see him wanting to step out of his father's shadow and prove himself as a creative person in his own right.

The sexism stuff is a separate issue. Yes, the original Muppet Studios was a boys club - not by design, just by circumstance. To subtly accuse Henson himself of discriminatory hiring practices is obvious bull if one knows anything about Henson's character. I do think it's messed up for a regular performer to make 1500$ a week while her co-workers make several times that, but I don't think that's a male/female
issue, so much as it is a greed issue on the part of Disney.

(And I'm still a Steve Whitmire truther, haha. The corporate machine crushed him and sought to destroy his reputation. Just my opinion.)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, again, $1,500 a week is apparently the salary for an additional performer, the "core" performers are principal, so of course they're going to earn more because of it - I think the sexism angle was kind of twisted into it for the sake of drama . . . unless there's evidence otherwise, it's quite possible that even male additional performers are probably also making $1,500 a week, depending.

But hey, that's still an improvement from what Jim himself would pay: after all, when Caroll Spinney was first hired, Jim admitted he really had no knowledge of salaries and as such, only offered Caroll $200 a week - even in 1969, that wasn't a lot of money (especially when he made that a day in Boston working for Bozo).

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I would love to see Brian return as Sal.. and it would not surprise me as Bill hinted something on his Youtube channel,,, he hinted a Clifford return as well!!! I think Brian had some kind of rupture with Frank oz too.... because I´ve not seen them together in years..
Do you have a link for that? Wow, Clifford coming back would really be something. He hasn't been in a muppet project in over 15 years. Would love if Sal could return as well.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Do you have a link for that? Wow, Clifford coming back would really be something. He hasn't been in a muppet project in over 15 years. Would love if Sal could return as well.
Johnny and Sal are only coming back only if Brian is coming back.

MWoO

Reaction score
I think that Brian Henson could have been joking about hating Rainbow Connection. If he disliked it so much, he would have prevented it from being in the Muppet Show Live in 2001.
I also think he may have been reacting to the over use of the song. It was rarely performed when Jim was alive. Now it is joked about as being the only song the muppets know.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean it's not like Kevin got fired or anything, he resigned from SS of his own volition, so it's not like he's really in any bad graces with either JHC or Disney.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
True, but it does seem like he sorta drifted away from the Muppets following the Disney acquisition, even pre-controversy.