• Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help.
  • "Muppets Now" premieres on Disney+
    The Muppets fifth series of all time debuted on Disney+. Make plans to watch one of the most anticipated shows of the year. New episodes premiere every Friday through September 4.
  • 50 Years and Counting
    Read our review and discuss with fans the highly anticipated Sesame Street "50 Years and Counting" DVD set from Shout Factory featuring over five hours of beloved moments.
  • 50 Years and Still Sunny!
    Read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the all-new Sesame Street documentary "50 Years and Still Sunny!" hosted by Gloria Estefan.
  • The Dark Crystal: "Age of Resistance"
    After a 36 year wait, return to the great conjunction. The Dark Crystal "Age of Resistance" is a mesmerizing and beautiful prequel series now on Netflix. Renew your essence today.
  • Music is Everywhere
    Muppet Central Radio is now on TorontoCast, TuneIn, Apple, Amazon and Google. Listen to Muppet music 24/7 wherever you go with TuneIn and Apple apps and devices.

Disney's Muppets Problem: Can the Franchise Reckon With Its Boys' Club Culture?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I really think MTI was one of Steve's best performances as Kermit. Speaking of MTI, I recently learned that apparently Brian was often absent from the production, because he kept partying to the point of making himself sick.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
This article is a bit too tabloid for my taste.

That said, I certainly agree that Disney has no clue what it should be doing with the Muppets. I also can certainly understand why Brian Henson would resent having to deal with the Muppets, if what the article says is true. I could see him wanting to step out of his father's shadow and prove himself as a creative person in his own right.

The sexism stuff is a separate issue. Yes, the original Muppet Studios was a boys club - not by design, just by circumstance. To subtly accuse Henson himself of discriminatory hiring practices is obvious bull if one knows anything about Henson's character. I do think it's messed up for a regular performer to make 1500$ a week while her co-workers make several times that, but I don't think that's a male/female
issue, so much as it is a greed issue on the part of Disney.

(And I'm still a Steve Whitmire truther, haha. The corporate machine crushed him and sought to destroy his reputation. Just my opinion.)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, again, $1,500 a week is apparently the salary for an additional performer, the "core" performers are principal, so of course they're going to earn more because of it - I think the sexism angle was kind of twisted into it for the sake of drama . . . unless there's evidence otherwise, it's quite possible that even male additional performers are probably also making $1,500 a week, depending.

But hey, that's still an improvement from what Jim himself would pay: after all, when Caroll Spinney was first hired, Jim admitted he really had no knowledge of salaries and as such, only offered Caroll $200 a week - even in 1969, that wasn't a lot of money (especially when he made that a day in Boston working for Bozo).