Disney's Muppets Problem: Can the Franchise Reckon With Its Boys' Club Culture?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, he had gotten so involved with SS behind the scenes in addition to performing Elmo (i.e. producing, directing, and the like), it probably took up a lot of his time that returning to the west coast to do anything with the Muppets was probably not very practical for him. Similarly, Joey not only directed but became head writer by Season 40, and that likewise probably explains why he drifted away from the Muppets after KSY. Not to mention, SS remains in steady production, the Muppets haven't had much in the way of stability in a long time - gotta go where you're gonna get work if you wanna pay the bills and such.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I mean it's not like Kevin got fired or anything, he resigned from SS of his own volition, so it's not like he's really in any bad graces with either JHC or Disney.
Sorry to bump and old thread, but I didn't really get a chance to read this until today. I wonder about Kevin's status with Henson as well, like if he'd ever perform his non-Sesame Street Muppets again. Clifford obviously he wouldn't perform without the shades, but what about Mulch and Craniac? Although, I noticed a lot of his characters including the two I mentioned were exclusive to Muppets Tonight! but I don't know. I guess we can go into a lot of depth on that one.

MWoO

Reaction score
Sorry to bump and old thread, but I didn't really get a chance to read this until today. I wonder about Kevin's status with Henson as well, like if he'd ever perform his non-Sesame Street Muppets again. Clifford obviously he wouldn't perform without the shades, but what about Mulch and Craniac? Although, I noticed a lot of his characters including the two I mentioned were exclusive to Muppets Tonight! but I don't know. I guess we can go into a lot of depth on that one.
His status with The Henson Company seems just fine. He did Happy Time Murders and Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. It would not surprise me if he did Fraggle Rock.

The public seems to have forgotten his name. On the rare occasion i hear people bring it up, they just say "did you know about the voice of Elmo?".

As long as he doesn't return to Sesame Street I don't think anyone will make an issue of it.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
His status with The Henson Company seems just fine. He did Happy Time Murders and Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. It would not surprise me if he did Fraggle Rock.

The public seems to have forgotten his name. On the rare occasion i hear people bring it up, they just say "did you know about the voice of Elmo?".

As long as he doesn't return to Sesame Street I don't think anyone will make an issue of it.
Good, because I hear Muppets Tonight! is coming back and Kevin has finally agreed to return as Clifford without the shades.

Early April Fool!

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
I am so tired of everything having to be "woke," and if it isn't woke, people have the mindset of "CANCEL IT!" Cancel culture should be cancelled. But I also find it interesting about Brian Henson, if it's true anyway, considering I take everything I read about certain people these days with a grain of salt.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
Eeeehhh, sorry. I think I was reading something in between the lines there. Someone mentioned "woke," someone else mentioned "cancel culture," and I got mixed up.

As for what I said about Brian Henson, that comes from the actual article, where it stated, "He has hated puppeteers for his entire life," says one longtime collaborator. "He had this thing that these people were siphoning from his father like vampires — Jerry Nelson, Dave Goelz, Frank Oz," and, while I find that interesting, I'm also taking it with a grain of salt, because I don't have the slightest idea if it's true or not.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
If the stuff about Brian in the article is true, Dave Goelz wouldn't come back for Back to the Rock, and Brian wouldn't reprise Sal in Muppets Haunted Mansion.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I sadly disagree with a lot of the article. Bill Beretta ( sorry if I misspelled the last name) and Matt Vogel both have internet shows and have had both past and present female performers on and have been nothing but respectful.
If you want to really know the heart of the Muppets Studios, listen to Below the Frame episode with the new leaders. It's very insightful and a great listen.