COVID-19 Coronavirus News and Updates

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Oh snap.

And now, the number of confirmed cases in my county alone has more than doubled since yesterday.
This why we all need to preach to those that aren't taking this **** seriously. This virus is overwhelming our healthcare system. Stay home.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Meanwhile, I've heard that a new COVID-19 outbreak is happening in China now that they've started to relax and resume their normal lives, which medical experts and professionals warned would happen if we did.
*chinhands*
Ya don't say.
And to think I said that exact thing would happen a post ago :smirk:
Amazing how these professionals aren't even considering how exposure to viruses help build immunity.

That said, before anyone twists my words, I'm not advocating people intentionally going out and getting sick, especially those with health problems.

MWoO

Reaction score
Oh snap.

And now, the number of confirmed cases in my county alone has more than doubled since yesterday.
It is to be expected that as more states start testing more people we will see our numbers increase. Remember, the cases we know about are only those people that got tested. I am sure there are tons of cases where people were either asymptomatic or had mild symptoms and thus were not tested. The only difference is now we know about them.

The same holds true for other countries. We are doing more testing than any other country, that I am aware of. So, we should expect to have more confirmed cases. New York has roughly the same amount of cases as the rest of the nation combined. Partially because of our population density and partially because we test 10 times more often. The numbers, like most stats, don't tell the whole picture without context.

MWoO

Reaction score
*chinhands*
Ya don't say.
And to think I said that exact thing would happen a post ago :smirk:
Amazing how these professionals aren't even considering how exposure to viruses help build immunity.

That said, before anyone twists my words, I'm not advocating people intentionally going out and getting sick, especially those with health problems.
I think the issue at hand is the long incubation time. Up to 14 days without even showing signs that you are sick is an awfully long time to be out and about. Combine that with the rate of spread from one person to another and that is why we are where we are. However, you are correct in a sense. The more people that get the disease and self resolve the better.
In NY there was talk about allowing people up to a certain age to return to work, while isolating those at higher risk. Those that are younger will still get it, but are far less likely to need hospitalization and we would be able to meet the demand for those that will need it. This also gives us time to develop a cure and create herd immunity while also protecting the high risk population and not destroying the economy.

The problem? People see the reports of people dead or infected and freak out. In NYC we have 21,393 confirmed cases as of this afternoon. We also have a population estimated at 8.4 million. Truth is, those numbers are not that high.

The problem? NYC relies heavily on mass transit and interstate employment. If you open up NYC you also have people that may be infected traveling to work for long distances and coming into contact with hundreds of people. To get to my job I take 2 buses and a train and it takes me at least 1.5 to 2 hours each way. That is a lot of exposure.

So... I guess my point is the numbers are not as bad when compared to population, but in densely populated areas they can be a lot worse very quickly without the current restrictions. That being said, perhaps we need to look at other states and see what restrictions can be lifted so that at least some of the nations economy can keep going. The only thing that will truly do anything is a viable vaccine, but again that will take months at least just due to the incubation period and time to research.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I think the issue at hand is the long incubation time. Up to 14 days without even showing signs that you are sick is an awfully long time to be out and about. Combine that with the rate of spread from one person to another and that is why we are where we are. However, you are correct in a sense. The more people that get the disease and self resolve the better.
Yeah, I mean. This is a new strain of virus so developing an immunity is not going to be instant or anything, and purposely infecting yourself is just as bad because we realistically don't know yet if this is something people can keep getting, or if its a one and done thing. With the way the flu mutates, probably not the latter. And I do want to clarify that I am aware immunity doesn't always mean you can't get it period, but if people CAN expose themselves to it, the human body will start to be able to develop ways to fight it so that the symptoms arent as severe and to recover quickly. In theory anyway.

In NY there was talk about allowing people up to a certain age to return to work, while isolating those at higher risk. Those that are younger will still get it, but are far less likely to need hospitalization and we would be able to meet the demand for those that will need it. This also gives us time to develop a cure and create herd immunity while also protecting the high risk population and not destroying the economy.
I'm all for that if that gets pushed through. Provided there's a way to actually enforce people who are at risk from being out. Like I really worry about my grandmother, because she IS someone who could be very badly affected by this, and she insists on going out in public to do shopping by herself. But like what was previously mentioned, jail time and stuff for people just leaving their homes is a bit too extreme.

So... I guess my point is the numbers are not as bad when compared to population, but in densely populated areas they can be a lot worse very quickly without the current restrictions. That being said, perhaps we need to look at other states and see what restrictions can be lifted so that at least some of the nations economy can keep going. The only thing that will truly do anything is a viable vaccine, but again that will take months at least just due to the incubation period and time to research.
Oh definitely. It's good for people to know numbers but like...things could be presented in a better way to put stuff into context. But knowing the news that will never happen.:smirk: But yeah, all we can really do is ride this out until a vaccine is made.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow. Just, wow. This is quite a long read, but it really puts thing into many different perspectives (even to the point that the upcoming generation will now be refered to as Gen C because these babies are being born during the coronavirus pandemic):

Spoiler alert: the author criticizes Trump.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Good luck. My work is considered essential but with all the other businesses closed there just isn't enough work there to keep everyone employed fulltime. I filed for unemployment for the first time in my life. Stay healthy and be safe.
Thank you.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
If this newborn generation becomes Gen-C, it will probably be as small as my Gen-X. After a glut of postwar baby boomers, my generation born between 1965 and 1975 was only a fraction due to the advent of The Pill.
I don’t think too many couples will be making babies for a while. But after this thing clears, it might take a couple years, then you might see another baby boom.

MWoO

Reaction score
I thought we were expected to have another boom because of there being so many couples isolated and makin' babies.