Classic Sesame Clips on YouTube

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed in the last few weeks that it seems an English copy of Don't Throw That Trash on the Ground is no longer online, and it seems like it might be blocked. A link to the video was in Toughpigs' season 21 article from the Sesame Street 50 years article series, and clicking on it says that it was taken down by Sesame Workshop. Too bad this hasn't been released commercially (I searched and it looks like it's not even on the Sesame Street video site anymore as well).

Some time ago on the Toughpigs forum, Scott said that something he uploaded on YouTube was taken down by Sesame Workshop even though it hadn't been released commercially (I don't think he said what clip it was), and speculated that Sesame Workshop might be doing content ID matches to prepare for when the classic episodes come to HBO Max. Maybe this is the case. I saw that post a few months ago, and if that is indeed the case and some clips can no longer be seen on YouTube as a result, then it's amazing that I've only been unable to find one particular clip I've been looking for. I have pretty much been able to view any other Sesame Street clip I search for online that had already been online for some time.

Then again, there have been periods when several clips are temporarily blocked/taken down by a third party, I want to say there might have been another period when Sesame Workshop took down certain clips that eventually came back but I'm not sure. In fact I recall that several fans here have mentioned that they deleted their YouTube channels just because of newer regulations, and I'm not too sure off-hand what clips they uploaded - so it is impressive that I can still find practically any clip I want that has been online for some time.

Muzzarino

Reaction score
I've noticed in the last few weeks that it seems an English copy of Don't Throw That Trash on the Ground is no longer online, and it seems like it might be blocked. A link to the video was in Toughpigs' season 21 article from the Sesame Street 50 years article series, and clicking on it says that it was taken down by Sesame Workshop. Too bad this hasn't been released commercially (I searched and it looks like it's not even on the Sesame Street video site anymore as well).

Some time ago on the Toughpigs forum, Scott said that something he uploaded on YouTube was taken down by Sesame Workshop even though it hadn't been released commercially (I don't think he said what clip it was), and speculated that Sesame Workshop might be doing content ID matches to prepare for when the classic episodes come to HBO Max. Maybe this is the case. I saw that post a few months ago, and if that is indeed the case and some clips can no longer be seen on YouTube as a result, then it's amazing that I've only been unable to find one particular clip I've been looking for. I have pretty much been able to view any other Sesame Street clip I search for online that had already been online for some time.

Then again, there have been periods when several clips are temporarily blocked/taken down by a third party, I want to say there might have been another period when Sesame Workshop took down certain clips that eventually came back but I'm not sure. In fact I recall that several fans here have mentioned that they deleted their YouTube channels just because of newer regulations, and I'm not too sure off-hand what clips they uploaded - so it is impressive that I can still find practically any clip I want that has been online for some time.
They have been using Content ID on YouTube to block any segments they don't want uploaders using on their channels and mark anything that belongs to them, but the problem is they want to protect their IP to stay in-business when they should be priding to fans on on archiving their content to be viewable in the future in case they lose the raw assets as well as the motion graphics history.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I guess I'm not so much surprised that Sesame Workshop took down a clip as I am surprised that only one particular clip I've looked for, which used to be easy to find online, can no longer be found. While it is a clip I really like and is usually on my appropriate wishlists (though I didn't wish for it to be on 50 Years and Counting as much as I usually do for the appropriate releases), I should be thankful that there aren't more unreleased clips (that are in the tape trading circles) that I am unable to find.

There is still a foreign dub online (and the music doesn't sound as good as in the English version), and I did see a fan made video that has the audio (but not the opening audio). Hopefully it'll come to DVD and/or digital soon (and I'm guessing it'll be among the classic episodes available on HBO Max, though I'd rather have it on DVD).

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Maybe the Workshop is taking down videos in light of the launch of classic episodes on HBO Max in about two weeks.

Muzzarino

Reaction score
Maybe the Workshop is taking down videos in light of the launch of classic episodes on HBO Max in about two weeks.
How do you know that? The segments need to continue to be allowed on YouTube because some variants may not be available on their channel such as added sound effects and if they're not lenient, they'll go after them.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Companies that would use content ID blocks might not care if a clip they blocked has a slightly altered variation that's not commercially/publicly available otherwise.

Muzzarino

Reaction score
Companies that would use content ID blocks might not care if a clip they blocked has a slightly altered variation that's not commercially/publicly available otherwise.
They could be for documentation purposes to inform readers about the variants they've made throughout the years in which companies (in that case have to protect their IP to remain in business) should be priding to the motion graphics history like they wouldn't mind having logo captures taken on-screen posted by fans, so it shouldn't count as a leaked variant if it's been released on TV, a home video release (DVD, Blu-Ray etc.) or on an online source.

Last edited:

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
You know, I don't know why there are very few vintage cartoon and animated segments on the show's official YouTube channel. There is a broad spectrum of treasure for some newer viewers to discover. I'm even more surprised that there is only one Sand Alphabet segment uploaded to the official SS channel on YouTube (the letter "I", to be exact). I fully understand that some segments are not uploaded due to being irrelavent, controversial, or politically incorrect in this day and age, but they make up only a small number of segments (two such examples that come to mind are "D-dart", "B for certain boy and Bosco taking a bath" and "Goldilocks takes a bath" - the latter two being due to brief nudity, and the "Bosco" toon also being due to the reference to a certain boy's color).