Classic Sesame Clips on YouTube

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Because. They have a life to handle outside of posting stuff on YouTube.
Yes. Especially when it comes to COVID-19.

It was a very interesting fact about the Workshop nearly facing bankruptcy, but the HBO deal saved them and also saved a very important educational institution for preschoolers from cancellation. Imagine the uproar from parents and grandparents if "Sesame Street" was to get cancelled.

I also think the reason for the near demise of "Sesame Street" was that the show was airing on weekdays for decades, and with the rise in kids entering junior kindergarten in the last many years, I agree that the show is better off airing current episodes on Saturdays only.

However, it is sad that new episodes will no longer be aired on television until PBS airs them many months after they get released to HBO Max.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Well, you shouldn't be asking where they get rare stuff like this. When people like @scarecroe, @Oscarfan and @hooperfan get rare stuff from an anonymous source, they cannot tell you or anyone else where they get this stuff from. Cuz if they disclose the links to where they found this rare stuff, it will create massive chaos of people spreading the rarities all over YouTube and other sites, then Sesame Workshop could get into the situation and get them in trouble for it, then there'd be no more rare gems. NOW do you understand why you shouldn't ask where we get rarities like this from?
I honestly do not care to know the source of the rare clips, as I am a strong supporter of respecting confidentiality.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Yes. Especially when it comes to COVID-19.

It was a very interesting fact about the Workshop nearly facing bankruptcy, but the HBO deal saved them and also saved a very important educational institution for preschoolers from cancellation. Imagine the uproar from parents and grandparents if "Sesame Street" was to get cancelled.

I also think the reason for the near demise of "Sesame Street" was that the show was airing on weekdays for decades, and with the rise in kids entering junior kindergarten in the last many years, I agree that the show is better off airing current episodes on Saturdays only.

However, it is sad that new episodes will no longer be aired on television until PBS airs them many months after they get released to HBO Max.
They were not going bankrupt, they were just in financial trouble with a net loss. I have seen this happen many times before where companies are in financial trouble so someone saves them such as Jay Ward productions getting bought out by Classic Media.

Fozzieboba

Reaction score
If shows (especially this one) are mainly for preschoolers, how come they can also be for older audiences like kindergarteners, first graders, teenagers, etc.?

datman24

Reaction score
If shows (especially this one) are mainly for preschoolers, how come they can also be for older audiences like kindergarteners, first graders, teenagers, etc.?
They may be aimed at preschoolers, but they can have a wide range of appeal to different age groups. See, unlike shows like Barney, Thomas, and The Wiggles (which are strictly aimed at preschoolers and offer nothing of substance they can appeal to those outside of its target demo), Sesame Street has succeeded in being the kind of show that while its curriculum is strictly aimed at preschoolers, they can throw in some things to entertain those outside the target demo, as well. It's one of the reasons why Sesame Street has had such a long-lasting appeal.

hooperfan

Reaction score
I believe that there was an idea back when the show was created to not only create a show one's child would want to watch, but also to create a show that the parent would want to watch as well

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Recently I've found some rare clips that have surfaced somehow. I've looked at "what links here", and it looks like they're not in any of the HBO Max episodes, but I also haven't seen them posted to Muppet Wiki's Facebook or Twitter (and haven't seen links on the appropriate wiki pages, if the wiki did upload them unlisted).

These include Itzhak Perlman and Oscar's concert together, and the full, uncut version of The King Banishes the Letter P. I've also seen that somebody posted the rare Cookie Monster song "Cookie", found the link in a Facebook group page but not on YouTube (and maybe it's hard to specify the clip in title search).

EDIT TO ADD: Okay, so I learned that the webmaster of The Sesame Street Lyrics Archive has been getting rare clips from a mystery source as well, but apparently is allowed to share the clips online.

Last edited:

PumpkinJ

Reaction score
Recently I've found some rare clips that have surfaced somehow. I've looked at "what links here", and it looks like they're not in any of the HBO Max episodes, but I also haven't seen them posted to Muppet Wiki's Facebook or Twitter (and haven't seen links on the appropriate wiki pages, if the wiki did upload them unlisted).

These include Itzhak Perlman and Oscar's concert together, and the full, uncut version of The King Banishes the Letter P. I've also seen that somebody posted the rare Cookie Monster song "Cookie", found the link in a Facebook group page but not on YouTube (and maybe it's hard to specify the clip in title search).

EDIT TO ADD: Okay, so I learned that the webmaster of The Sesame Street Lyrics Archive has been getting rare clips from a mystery source as well, but apparently is allowed to share the clips online.
I also recently got English versions of Lefty sells Ernie a Snowman and Sherlock Hemlock Investigates the Missing Cookies. I'll think about uploading them soon..

Also, I was shocked when I saw this in a recently-uploaded Susam Sokagi episode:
If these Easy Listening Quartet Band skits usually involved monsters, then what on Earth is Ernie doing there with them!? (I guess that proves these skits were specifically produced for use at Sesame Place in the 80s and not the show itself.)

Last edited by a moderator:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Itzhak Perlman and Oscar in concert:

The full "King Banishes the Letter P":

I didn't share the links here in case they came from the episodes on HBO Max (even though "what links here" shows that they don't), I don't feel right drawing attention to rare clips in those episodes that fans have taken and uploaded online (though while some segments have been cut from HBO Max, they don't seem to be replacing clips). But now I know that these clips have been uploaded through other means (I thought the Itzhak Perlman clip had been uploaded by Tiny Dancer).

Interesting, I see under "what links here" that the Itzhak Perlman one last aired in a season 22 episode. I wonder if this is the longest-running clip with Brian Meehl as Telly.

Great to see another "monster easy listening band" clip, and curious that Ernie is in one. Assuming we're all correct that these were done for Sesame Place, it's interesting that it seems the clips shot for the park only have Ernie, Bert, Grover, and generic monsters (including AM Elmo). Obviously Jim and Frank were on set when they shot video footage, but I wonder why they didn't do stuff with Cookie Monster, Kermit, or Guy Smiley (and maybe they did and we just haven't found them yet). I feel like Kermit in his news reporter role would have worked for the park, and it would be fitting for Guy to host some play-along videos for the park.

I really hope that the trusted sources will someday provide info on the video footage shot for Sesame Park, so we can know what all was done there, maybe know who the performers are, have official confirmation that the monster band footage was shot for the park (maybe even know what they were officially called - and know what that curtains thing was put in place of).