Classic Sesame Clips on YouTube

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
And when you JUST THOUGHT Prof. Hastings was doing the ET Word Family lecture in Ep #0138... until NOW! Haha! >;D

I knew there was a Herbert Birdsfoot sketch with the ET family that had a delivery guy instead of Grover. But my question is, at the end of Part 3 of this version of the sketch, does Grover or Herbert get splashed with water? I know it never happened in the latter version with the delivery guy.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I also want to ask, could somebody please provide a list of classic animated segments that are currently available on Sesame Street's official YouTube channel?

I know of a few of them:

"Jack and the B-Stalk"
Speech Balloon: M for Mail
"The M Who Came to Dinner" (though the official link shows a different title)
"K for Karate" (the one with the tough man in another man's thought balloon, not the Pink Panther version)
"Superman and the letter S"
"I Can Remember" - a loaf of bread, a stick of butter and a container of milk

I can fully understand the absence of film segments, possibly because Joe Raposo's estate refuses to clear his music for distribution. And maybe Sesame Street doesn't have the rights to the Swedish animation number segments anymore. But I do have one question: The segments that are uploaded to Sesame Street's official YouTube channel, are they restricted to segments that were released to DVD previously or recently, or aired as part of the syndicated series Sesame Street Unpaved and 123 Sesame Street, which I believe also edited out segments with Joe Raposo's music?

Last edited:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I also want to ask, could somebody please provide a list of classic animated segments that are currently available on Sesame Street's official YouTube channel?

I know of a few of them:

"Jack and the B-Stalk"
Speech Balloon: M for Mail
"The M Who Came to Dinner" (though the official link shows a different title)
"K for Karate" (the one with the tough man in another man's thought balloon, not the Pink Panther version)
"Superman and the letter S"
"I Can Remember" - a loaf of bread, a stick of butter and a container of milk

I can fully understand the absence of film segments, possibly because Joe Raposo's estate refuses to clear his music for distribution. And maybe Sesame Street doesn't have the rights to the Swedish animation number segments anymore. But I do have one question: The segments that are uploaded to Sesame Street's official YouTube channel, are they restricted to segments that were released to DVD previously or recently, or aired as part of the syndicated series Sesame Street Unpaved and 123 Sesame Street, which I believe also edited out segments with Joe Raposo's music?
I know that many of the Pinball Number Count segments are on their channel (including a special video with all of them, in addition to most of them being online as separate videos). And I believe some of the Typewriter and Teeny Little Super Guy segments are there. As is either Jazz #4 or Jazz #7. I know some classic film segments are part of the channel, such as Mom and Me and some of the the baker films.

Joe Raposo didn't provide music for all of the classic film segments, I can see maybe some of the filmmakers or whoever denying permission to use them. I don't think I've really noticed a lack of classic film segments (maybe in the last year, when it seems most classic clips have either featured major Muppet characters or have been Pinball Animation). I'm not really sure the deal with Raposo, I know for a period of time the theme song was cut whenever possible (we sometimes got an instrumental/underscore on DVD), but since then there have been a handful of DVD releases that did include the opening (including some where I would have thought that'd be optional, though I can't remember what). But while the theme had been cut so much, we still got plenty of other Raposo-written tunes on DVD, even if most of them (but not the theme) were cut from HBO broadcasts. And I'm pretty sure a lot of Raposo songs have been officially uploaded by Sesame Workshop in recent years (I'm not sure what the legalities are with officially uploading the content online), including mash-ups of the theme song and "Sing" and that animated "C is for Cookie" video (though so far, neither of the "Sesame Rewind" videos were for songs he wrote; actually, both of them were written by Jeff Moss),

No, the official Sesame Street channel is not restricted to segments that have been released on DVD or shown on Noggin (which I don't think edited many Joe Raposo songs except for time restrictions, it seems like Noggin didn't have to cut things for the same legal reasons as HBO does). The channel has uploaded a lot of classic clips that have never been released on home video, that weren't shown on Noggin, and occasionally shows formerly-rare clips that haven't been seen in years (for example, that recent collection of parody segments include a Miami Mice segment, Squeal of Fortune, and a Baa Baa Walters segment that I think was rare; none of those had been uploaded online by Sesame Workshop before), or haven't been heard in their original English in years. Sesamestreet.org used to have a ton of classic clips for viewing, in the last year they took down a large portion of them, many of the clips on their YouTube channel have previously been available there though from time to time they also include material that wasn't on that site.

I figured that the script mentioning Grover and Professor Hastings in the same sketch was a script mistake (or maybe they changed it before airing), I did believe the error at first before remembering that I knew there was a similar sketch with Grover and Herbert Birdsfoot, plus Frank Oz did both Grover and Hastings.

Last edited:

datman24

Reaction score
That's very brave of them to put this up, given that they will likely be dealing with another hoard of requesters demanding that they put up more.

Last edited:

PumpkinJ

Reaction score
Found this at Muppet wiki
Lemme get this straight: Scarecroe has the right to decide whether or not to upload clips/episodes for other people to watch, so to anyone who drags on mounds of footage requests: don't ask him for any. He recently posted that clip of G is for Grover on Muppet Wiki, so there's a once-elusive clip out there for you.

Last edited:

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Wow, so do you think this was the first appearance of Grover as Grover?

I don't know what's cooler: proto-Grover or decrepit-looking season 1 Kermit.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Wow, so do you think this was the first appearance of Grover as Grover?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That was neat to see.

When I first saw the "G for Grover" segment pictured in Muppet Wiki guides but not the one called "Hey Frog" (more on that below), I wondered if Scott just got footage for that one (he noted on his user page that he's found "G for Grover" listed in additional scripts but not "Hey Frog") or if maybe it was actually a two-part segment and the wiki description didn't have any indication of that. But watching those segments, they don't really need to be seen in the same episode.

The first segment is weird, I guess they just really wanted to make a big deal out of Grover being named. Susan mentions Grover down the street, and we just get a random segment using the usual plain background as opposed to actually taping on the street set. I feel it would have been better if "across the street" was across from the building as opposed to down the street (of course this season didn't have the curve and was all straight bit still), maybe use the city backdrop from "Windy".

Seems Grover shouting "hey Susan" would have been limited to repeat. They'd pretty much need to have more street scenes with Susan saying that Grover is coming for it to work (though it seems the first season had a lot of inserts where the voice-overs were always different and required a street scene introducing it, the Alphabet Bates segments seem to be among those, as well as the animal pairs film from the first episode). Would have been interesting if they made multiple sketches with Grover running up greeting the other humans for similar use.

I think the script titles it "Grover: Hey Frog", and the first season show content titles it "Grover 'hey frog' (hey Susan)". I know that the titles were never meant to be seen by the general public, but it is weird that they put "hey frog" as a sketch title when Grover never uses that phrase in this particular sketch. Grover often did greet Kermit with "Hey, Frog!" in the first season, but the G segment has him saying "Hey, Froggy!" Not quite "Hey, Froggy Babyyyyy!", but the catch phrase is starting to evolve into the more familiar phrase.

In the last year, as script info has made its way online and it was pretty much determined/confirmed that the Grover in those sketch titles is the one we know, and thinking about how the familiar blue Grover appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show a month later, I wondered if maybe they had built the blue Grover puppet by then. I am glad to see that the green Grover was referred to as Grover on the show.

I was very surprised Kermit was in the G for Grover sketch (I would have expected him to be mentioned in the "hey frog" bit). Does the script just list those two sketches by title as opposed to scripting the individual segments? I know most Muppet sketches tend to be scripted in their first episode appearances as opposed to listed, these were among the few Muppet bits where the wiki didn't list more than just the sketch titles (well, when it comes to researching the scripts with the first appearances). If the script did include the dialogue and such, I would have expected it to mention Kermit's involvement (and maybe I should have known by Susan's "Kermit should watch out for Grover" comment in the introduction).