Classic Sesame Clips on YouTube

ISNorden

Reaction score

Because of a copyright complaint from Sesame Workshop, I have voluntarily closed both of my old accounts (which deletes all former uploads in the process). I did create a new account (justlooking12313) to continue watching/commenting on other clips; however, I apologize for any problems that the deletions have caused.

P.S. I'm relieved to hear that I was not the only one hit by full-episode complaints. The Workshop does have a valid point there, unfortunately; uploading a whole show without original discussion/analysis as part of the video fails the fair-use test. If isolated clips are still acceptable to them, I may repost some of the shorter bits that used to be on my old channels; but don't count on getting a complete episode's worth at a time. We all need to play it safe!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Still, it just doesn't make any sense; SW NEVER had a problem with people posting their content on YT before... NEVER. Sure, there were issues with other companies like Viacom (if the content contained a Noggin logo), or Lionsgate (for content they controlled for distribution), but SW was always okay with fans uploading content, as previously discussed, it even prompted them to create the SST video page with their own uploads of classic material, AND, they launched their own YT channel so they could continue to spread classic material as well... so what's the deal all of the sudden? Have they suddenly decided since they know have their own two sources of video material that they no longer want other people to upload it themselves? And unlike Viacom, or Lionsgate, or what have you, SW is non-profit, so what the Elmo do they think they have to lose if other people are posting their content? I just don't get it.

Already, my favorites list has a dent in it from a number of videos that have been removed, and now I'm a little worried about my own channel, consider I too have posted a number of their content, as well as some full episodes (broken up in installments since YT re-instated the 15-minute limit on my GroverKent account), but they all simply have matched third party content on them (some wrongfully from the Australian Broadcasting Company, who claim they're "The REAL Sesame Street").

I'd have to say now, I guess people like MarshalGrover (Oscarfan), NantoVision, jonnytbird, hoopersghost, and definitely sawing14s, among others, will have to be on their toes now if SW is turning on us like this.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
If it's full episode videos they have a problem with, that's all right. I had only uploaded the one and hadn't really intended on any others (except for maybe #4145). Hoepfully, others will post episodes in just portions; if that flies by their ruling.

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
If it's full episode videos they have a problem with, that's all right. I had only uploaded the one and hadn't really intended on any others (except for maybe #4145). Hoepfully, others will post episodes in just portions; if that flies by their ruling.
I agree. I have not posted full episodes ether.

stuiefan

Reaction score
Still, it just doesn't make any sense; SW NEVER had a problem with people posting their content on YT before... NEVER. Sure, there were issues with other companies like Viacom (if the content contained a Noggin logo), or Lionsgate (for content they controlled for distribution), but SW was always okay with fans uploading content, as previously discussed, it even prompted them to create the SST video page with their own uploads of classic material, AND, they launched their own YT channel so they could continue to spread classic material as well... so what's the deal all of the sudden? Have they suddenly decided since they know have their own two sources of video material that they no longer want other people to upload it themselves? And unlike Viacom, or Lionsgate, or what have you, SW is non-profit, so what the Elmo do they think they have to lose if other people are posting their content? I just don't get it.

Already, my favorites list has a dent in it from a number of videos that have been removed, and now I'm a little worried about my own channel, consider I too have posted a number of their content, as well as some full episodes (broken up in installments since YT re-instated the 15-minute limit on my GroverKent account), but they all simply have matched third party content on them (some wrongfully from the Australian Broadcasting Company, who claim they're "The REAL Sesame Street").

I'd have to say now, I guess people like MarshalGrover (Oscarfan), NantoVision, jonnytbird, hoopersghost, and definitely sawing14s, among others, will have to be on their toes now if SW is turning on us like this.
Exactly Snowth!! I mean look at denmo23 he had great old clips along with some Eppys that he uploaded that might get taken down. I don't see Nantovison unless someone flags his Vids along with the others. I think Just the Clips are Fine, Look at disneytape he had uploaded the new Mexico shows that for the first time have been Up on YT &were taken down not long ago.

Drtooth

Reaction score
P.S. I'm relieved to hear that I was not the only one hit by full-episode complaints. The Workshop does have a valid point there, unfortunately; uploading a whole show without original discussion/analysis as part of the video fails the fair-use test. If isolated clips are still acceptable to them, I may repost some of the shorter bits that used to be on my old channels; but don't count on getting a complete episode's worth at a time. We all need to play it safe!
The problem is that they're trying to sell those episodes via iTunes, Youtube, and Amazon (yet still not put them up on Hulu even though they've been doing that with TEC). I guess that's cutting into their much needed profits, and that's understandable. It's kind of a nasty thing to do, as the only ones that ever complained before are third and fourth party video distributors and international networks that air the programming. However, I fail to see why there aren't more "This video contains content from...." that have ads before them. Certainly SW can allow some of the episodes that aren't available on their channels yet for the time being, or else replace them with higher quality digital versions from their archives.

If they start going after clips and segments, that's a cowardly thing to do. There's no money lost because there was never any money asked.

ISNorden

Reaction score
DrTooth: I agree that Sesame Workshop should be trying to protect profits, considering their budget problems. Penalizing us for posting full episodes is fine, up to a point. If the Workshop hasn't already offered a show for sale, and if some third-party distributor doesn't object to certain clips being in that show...then fans should be allowed to repost it until an official, higher-quality version does go on sale. Otherwise, the Workshop is pretty generous towards fans as far as copyright complaints are concerned: I read that some of the older clips no longer have master copies in the official New York archives, so it's good that they're still permitting fan-posted clips and sketches.

Drtooth

Reaction score
fans should be allowed to repost it until an official, higher-quality version does go on sale.
The thing that gets my goat is when companies that have no desire or will to release something on DVD are insanely overprotective of their copyright and just sit on it, selfishly, without offering it in any form. At least SW is trying to release some of the full episodes on various sites. Still, you think they'd sponsor some of the ones that are unavailable. Classic Media used to sponsor uploads of their stuff (dunno if that's the same under Dreamworks). At one point, United Media even sponsored rare and popular Peanuts specials.

But there's a lot of lost animation and TV shows that go lost because the companies refuse to release it legally and jump on anyone who tries to share it any other way.

Something tells me if the Sesame episodes weren't for sale, they'd have a slightly different attitude. It's a shame, but they actually do need any money they can get lest we see repackaged "new episodes" take another bite out of the already meager 26 episode seasons. Hopefully they'll offer as many episodes as humanly possible, and maybe have a special free viewing with advertisements venue.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
How is 26 episodes a season meager? That's two more than a typical TV season has, if it's network television, while cable television is usually like 10-13 episodes a season.