"America's Next Muppet" mini-series in development

Marky

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but it seems like they're fading off of the radar... again. The entertainment industry is NOT what it once was. We fans who actually take the time to post on sites like these, much less read them, much less are aware of the sites, much less spend anytime caring about things like muppets that much are not numerous. If the Muppets were truly being brought back, it would have been done - yesterday. Oz, comercially, flopped.

Without a theatrical feature, or a show on - NOW - the bulk of cash Disney will make from the Muppets will be DVDs. Either staight-to-video ones (like Oz), or releasing/re-releasing old movies/tv stuff.

Essentially, what Disney did was a) buy a well-known licence for the back-burner and b) buy Columbia/Tristar's competition.

Go Corporate America!

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
I wonder if JHC is starting to ask themselves if they made a mistake selling the Muppets to Disney. I mean, the whole reason they did it, painful as it was for them to do, was so that Kermit and co. would live on, become visible again so a whole new generation could enjoy them. But they've done nothing with them since the Oz special. The only good thing to come of it all is that the original Muppet Show has now become available again.

If you ask me, the Muppets are no better off under Disney than they were under JHC.

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
Since this is a family site, I'm going to refrain from saying what I'd really like to say about all this. This is very disappointing.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
I wonder if JHC is starting to ask themselves if they made a mistake selling the Muppets to Disney.
I don't think that selling-out was a painful thing for them to do. As far as I have always heard, Brian wanted distance the JHC of the Muppets to focus on more artistic and mature things. That goes all the way back to the EM.TV sell days.

http://www.tv.com/story/story.html&story_id=4328

My worry is if this movie will actually make it or not.

I wonder if JHC wants to make the Fraggles into a movie and and do some new things with them to make a sale of them easier?

Reaction score
I think Disney is just keeping the Muppets under their wing, so then if something does happen they can cash in on the goodness (when it comes). Which I find sick, because the Muppets were never about "money". They were about making people "happy". Happiness and greed is something that doesn't mix well, to me.

I want this TV special made, but unless I feel some muppet love from Disney's side, I just don't think it'll happen.

Sorry for my rant and I'll edit if I said something that doesn't fit in with the rules...:embarrassed:

ILuVERNIE

Reaction score
i don't think you said anything wrong... but it makes me mad that the disney co. would do such a thing! when it comes to muppets, cash is the last thing on my mind!!!

Reaction score
When I went to Disney World two weeks ago, I was shocked an appauled at what happened to the Studio 1 store over the years. When I went there in '94, I remember the whole store covered in muppet goodies. Now, only less than a third is dedicated to The Muppets. *shrugs* I mean, it's a bit harsh of an idea, but Disney can do something like that.

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
BalconyHeckler said:
I think Disney is just keeping the Muppets under their wing, so then if something does happen they can cash in on the goodness (when it comes). Which I find sick, because the Muppets were never about "money". They were about making people "happy". Happiness and greed is something that doesn't mix well, to me.

I want this TV special made, but unless I feel some muppet love from Disney's side, I just don't think it'll happen.

Sorry for my rant and I'll edit if I said something that doesn't fit in with the rules...:embarrassed:
Nah, actually I agree with you. And it makes me mad too.