"America's Next Muppet" mini-series in development

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
Lassater's cool. It was great seeing him directing again for Cars!

... I was thinking about this the other day. Wouldn't be great if the Muppet performers were in charge of the Muppets? Unrealistic, yes, but imagine what it would be like if Steve Whitmire and Bill Barretta were in charge of what happened with the Muppets.

Just my own fantasy put out there.
I totally agree. They know the characters the best, heck, they perform them! But yea, they need to step up, and maybe take charge.

unclematt

Reaction score
That would be great but again I think it is very unrealistic

spcglider

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
Ideal situation: total creative control without worrying about the business end.

Of course, that doesn't happen often. Lord Grade pretty much gave that to Jim, then he was doing both.
That was what the original deal with Disney was all about back in 1990. Jim wanted them to take over the money matters so he could concentrate solely on being creative head. He'd no longer have to worry about distribution and marketing and such. He could just create.

Then he passed away and the deal fell apart. Basically because Disney (Eisner)knew exactly what would happen next. The Muppets would flounder and they could get them at a later date for much less.

-G

unclematt

Reaction score
spcglider said:
That was what the original deal with Disney was all about back in 1990. Jim wanted them to take over the money matters so he could concentrate solely on being creative head. He'd no longer have to worry about distribution and marketing and such. He could just create.

Then he passed away and the deal fell apart. Basically because Disney (Eisner)knew exactly what would happen next. The Muppets would flounder and they could get them at a later date for much less.

-G
Do you really think that was part of Eisners plan

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Thats a very interesting theory spcgilder, and I somehow agree. Jim acted differently before the time of his death, he probablly knew he needed to sell it to someone. Word on the street is he wasnt even to fond of the Disney company, and all of a sudden out of the blue, he sold it to them. Jim must have known something.

unclematt

Reaction score
Well we all know that he had probablly not been feeling well for at least a little while before his death. What a terrible day. I can remember it so vividly.

Luke

Reaction score
Barry Lee said:
Thats a very interesting theory spcgilder, and I somehow agree. Jim acted differently before the time of his death, he probablly knew he needed to sell it to someone. Word on the street is he wasnt even to fond of the Disney company, and all of a sudden out of the blue, he sold it to them. Jim must have known something.
Yeah it's pretty much widely rumored that Jim was aware that he was going to die in advance, at least in some way. He did a lot to tie up loose ends. I'm not sure Disney was part of this though.

spcglider

Reaction score
unclematt said:
Do you really think that was part of Eisners plan
Probably not at the outset. With Jim in charge, the Muppets would have been a spectacular cash cow for the Disney Company.

But it took several months for the official word to comedown that the deal had been scuttled. And who can blame Eisner? When the very heart of what you are buying is suddenly no longer in the deal, what's the point in buying?

And yes... I remember EXACTLY where I was when I first heard about jim's passing.

The Los Angeles Palms Hotel. What a pit. I had just finished visiting the shop of Robert Short (the guy who made all the armor for the He Man movie, as well as Captain Power, and SuperCop. He also made the pods for Cocoon.) It had been a great day until that moment. Several beers later, it still wasn't any better.

-Gordon

unclematt

Reaction score
I really wish that Disney had completed the deal then and just let Brian and his siblings run things