A Heart of Gold

theprawncracker

Reaction score
SQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQAUBLLE!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!! HAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!! I LOVE it! But you already knew that, and Leyla and Piggy were amazing together, fantastically amazing! Awesome, awesome, awesome!! Way to go half!! (((HUGS)))

Aaron

Reaction score
great chapter keep it coming please and i'll keep coming

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
The good news- new chapter coming with LOTS OF HAPPY STUFF!

The bad news- Teddy bear alert for the beginning of the second scene.

That is all.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Twenty-Three

The Frog Scouts were to be picked up from the park at 4:00.

That's 16:00, Kermit prompted himself. He had been home for three weeks now, but he was still very much accustomed to military time.

He walked to the park and decided that he would never tire of seeing so much greenery. He had never been one to take plants and trees for granted, but everything meant more these days.

Ah, yes, there were the Frog Scouts. He knew all of them well, and could recognize them from a considerable distance.

"Kermit?" a voice from behind him said.

He recognized that, too. That was Spencer's dad. He turned and smiled. "Hi-ho."

"I guess you really are back, then," the frog said. "I didn't believe the rumors at first. Welcome home."

"Thanks, Tim," Kermit said.

"I heard about your shoulder," Tim said. "Did they get the bullet out? Or is it still in there?"

"Oh they got it out," Kermit said. "They tried to send it home with me in a little jar, but I wasn't interested."

"Well that's good," Tim said. "That would've been a pain to go through metal detectors with a bullet inside of you."

"That's for sure," Kermit said. "Although metal detectors are mostly just in airports, really, and I don't intend to do much traveling anytime soon-"

"Kermit!" a third voice called.

That would be Seth's mom, Connie.

"Hi-ho!" Kermit called as he turned to smile at her.

"Hey Connie!" Tim said. "Look who's here! Alive and well in the real flesh and blood, too!"

"I'm glad you're home, Kermit," Connie said as she approached. "It's good to see you again!"

"It's good to see you, too-"

"Kermit?" Yet another frog approached.

This was Brett's dad, Carl.

"Hi-ho," Kermit smiled at him.

Connie and Tim moved on towards the troop. They weren't very fond of Carl, which was a pity. While it was true that he could be incredibly obnoxious most of the time, he did have some interesting things to say. ...Sometimes. ...Occasionally. ...Maybe.

Carl put his hand on Kermit's good shoulder and awkwardly shifted his weight. "Kermit," he said, "I wanted... I wanted to thank you," he said.

Kermit tilted his head. "Pardon?"

"I- I want you to know, that I- I appreciate it," Carl said. "I mean- what you did- for the country." He squirmed slightly. "My dad was in World War II," he explained. "He never talked about it much, but- I know it's rough being a soldier, and… I wanted to thank you."

Kermit stared at him for a moment, wondering how to react. What was he supposed to do? ...He put his hand on Carl's shoulder. "That means a lot to me," he said quietly.

Carl nodded. There was understanding there. That was enough.

Kermit tilted his head towards the Frog Scouts. "The kids are waiting," he said.

"Yeah, they are," Carl said.

They walked towards the troop, each collected their respective Frog Scout, and they went on with their lives.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Sunlight streamed into the room. Kermit pushed the blanket down to his waist.

It was morning. It started like every morning had the past month and a half or so, and like he guessed every morning would for the rest of his life.

The morning started with The Eyes. The Eyes were as clear and as real to him as the collar around his neck, and The Eyes were with him just as constantly.

The Eyes were big and brown and blank. He was learning to push The Eyes away from his mind first thing in the morning, before The Eyes could finish changing.

Changing was the worst thing about The Eyes.

First The Eyes were filled with fear. Then the fear in The Eyes would slowly crystallize into a basic, dreaded understanding.

He had learned to push The Eyes away before the understanding could fully crystallize.

If The Eyes were not pushed away, the crystals of understanding would drop away, one by one, until The Eyes held nothing, and The Eyes were dead, and The Dead Eyes followed him the entire day.

But Kermit had learned to push The Eyes away. He had been home for over a month now, and the early morning was among his favorite times of the day. In fact, it was almost as good as the late morning, afternoon, evening, and night.

He gazed out the window at the morning sunlight, listening to the soft plink, plink of Rowlf's piano. That was the first good thing of the morning. Every day started with music.

After a few moments, Kermit stood up. He shifted the irritating neck strap of the annoying sling as he walked into the hall. He opened the door next to his and peered into the room.

Robin was still asleep. He stirred slightly. He would wake up soon. Kermit smiled at the young frog and closed the door.

He went back to his own room and touched the soft fabric that was waiting for him on a chair. Red, white, and blue. With his good arm, he pressed it against his chest, and he went downstairs.

"Morning, Rowlf!" he said with a smile as his flipper met the bottom step.

"Morning, Kermit," Rowlf grinned from the piano bench.

Kermit went outside and walked straight to the flagpole. He attached his flag to it and pulled, watching in silence as it rose to the top of the pole.

This was a nice part of the morning, too, but it was more... routine. It was just a part of waking up, sort of like getting out of bed. He supposed some people drank coffee for the same reason.

Raising the flag wasn't really just waking up, though. It was a little bit of extra quiet time, which was a scarce commodity in this house. It was also a chance to smile and nod at a couple neighbors, particularly the guy who ran past every morning and the little old lady who walked her dog in the opposite direction. He sometimes guessed that they liked to see something vaguely normal happening at this house.

Kermit went inside and sat in the family room for his second favorite part of every morning.

He slowly, carefully, took the sling off. He rubbed where the neck strap itched his collar and carefully stretched his arm and shoulder.

"Looks like you're getting a little more flexible," Rowlf observed, still at the piano.

Kermit smiled at him. "Two more weeks of this," he said. He gently rubbed his shoulder.

"Bet you're counting the days," Rowlf said.

"Have you seen the paper chain Robin made me?" Kermit asked.

Rowlf tilted his head at his friend. "Kermit," he said, "Has anyone in this house not seen it?"

Kermit grinned. "Point taken," he said.

"Did you take off today's link yet?" Rowlf asked.

"Not yet," Kermit said. "After breakfast."

Rowlf nodded.

“Groo shfeer, de huulney!” The Swedish Chef greeted as he came downstairs to start making breakfast.

"Yeah, woof woof!" Rowlf replied.

"Morning, Chef," Kermit smiled. He grinned as Chef and Rowlf 'conversed' back and forth in languages completely unintelligible to anyone else, and to each other.

This ritual meant one thing to Kermit- it was time for him to sit back, watch each of his friends come downstairs, and appreciate his absolute favorite part of the morning.

The best part of the morning was the simple nature of it. Morning meant that he had the entire day ahead of him. He had an entire day, just waiting for him. An entire day to pass the time however he pleased. An entire day to spend with each and every one of his friends. An entire day to get a little bit closer to putting on the show. An entire day to work towards making millions of people happy.

Maybe later in the day, he would complain. Maybe later in the day, he would tease about how much time or money or energy had been wasted by this explosion or that distraction or this invention or that burst of drums. But he would only tease, because to him, none of it was a waste of anything. It was annoying, yes, but it sure wasn't a waste.

And yes, there were nagging feelings in the back of his mind about other things he didn't always acknowledge or couldn't always identify. And yes, he knew there would be times when stress would get the better of him. But right now, it was morning, and the entire day lay ahead for him to enjoy.

That was the best part of every morning.

But this morning was a little different, because this day was a little different.

This day would not be spent at the theater, preparing for the show, as so many days had been spent.

This morning would be spent preparing for this afternoon and evening.

This afternoon would be spent watching the parade.

This evening would be spent having a barbecue in the backyard, presuming they could find some sort of food to barbecue that didn't also happen to be a resident of the house.

And the later part of this evening would be spent in the park, on a mass of large blankets, looking up at the fireworks in the sky.

This day was the Fourth of July- Independence Day.

Leyla

Reaction score
For the record, I loved the last chapter with Prawnie, Lisa and Beau and Kermit and Croaker. Loved the teasing, the in-jokes and Kermit's distraction.
And goodness knows Lisa knows that I got a kick out of the squabbling!

I love how Kermit's seeing everything in a whole new light... just... the way he's appreciating everything around him. The military time was a great detail to put in there. Very realistic... and sort of... poignant.

The frog scout parents were very sweet. I liked the line about metal detectors... Kermit's gotta travel sometime... too big a celebrity to stay in one place so it's very good he doesn't have to worry about that.

I like that Kermit didn't want to keep the bullet too... this feels like something he'd want to forget.

It was nice to see the respect from Carl, too and Kermit's uncertainty about how to react.

And the waking... wow wow wow... every morning for the rest of my life... well... it breaks my heart to see Kermit so burdened and I do hope... eventually... he'll be free from those Eyes.

The rest of his morning routine was very nice... balancing nicely with all that pain. There are good things... so many good things here, and I'm glad Kermit can see that too.

The best part of the morning was the simple nature of it. Morning meant that he had the entire day ahead of him. He had an entire day, just waiting for him. An entire day to pass the time however he pleased. An entire day to spend with each and every one of his friends. An entire day to get a little bit closer to putting on the show. An entire day to work towards making millions of people happy.
Beautiful, Lisa.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
AIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! FOURTH OF JULY!!! EYES!!! AHHHHHHHH!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!! CARL!!!! Loved it!!! Whooo!! Go other half!! Can't wait for more! But now, I have to go write Trip, ((((HUGS))))!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Wonderful chapter Lisa. Poor Kermit and those Eyes that are plaguing him. Nice with raising the flag though and I like that it's the Fourth of July. Cute stuff with the other frog parents. Great stuff, can't wait to read more.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Twenty-Four

Kermit grinned at the huge mass of Muppets that lined the curb along the main street of the town, watching the parade. "Gee," he said to Fozzie, "There's so many of us, you'd think we'd be in the parade!"

"Hey, we're crazy enough," Fozzie said. "We'd fit right in!"

"Yeah, sure," Kermit said. "Right between the Girl Scouts and the bowling club."

"I was more thinking between the marching bands," Rowlf said.

"As long as we can keep Animal away from the drum lines," Floyd said, gripping Animal's chain. "It's hard enough from the sidelines!"

"We'll just go behind the cheerleaders," Scooter suggested. "At least that way, he'll keep moving forward."

"I whouldn't mind dat, hokay?" Pepe piped up. "But den we whould only see some of de ladies. I like to see all de ladies!"

"Oh, don't be so sure!" Rizzo grinned at him. "T'ink about it, Pepe- an entire parade behind da cheerleaders..."

The majority of the boys sat back and considered such a situation.

"Yeah," Clifford grinned, "That would be pretty nice!"

"Unless you've got a girl," Kermit mumbled to himself.

"Good answer," a familiar voice growled just behind and beside his head.

He smiled.

"Uncle Kermit?" Robin looked up to him. "If we were in the parade, would we still get the candy?"

Kermit thought about it. "Probably not," he said.

"Oh." Robin turned back to the parade. "Then I'm glad we're not."

There was a small group of old war veterans marching next, with an American flag held proudly in front of them.

The spectators stood respectfully.

Kermit gazed at the veterans with a certain understanding that he had never felt before. He slowly, instinctively, saluted the flag.

One of the old men noticed him and, recognizing the look on the frog's face as one he had once worn himself, gave him a soft smile, a small wink, and a subtle nod.

Kermit returned the nod and held his salute until the veterans had passed.

"Shmooken de høøpshie nüüdle!" The Swedish Chef flipped a whole slew of hot dogs on the grill.

Rowlf watched at his side. "You know some people just turn 'em," he said.

Chef looked at him, snitched up a few hot dogs on a skewer, and bonked Rowlf over the head with them.

Rowlf rubbed his head. "Point taken," he said. He looked at the hot dogs that were still on the grill. "Hi guys," the dog said.

Miss Piggy glared at the grill and started to storm towards it.

Kermit slung his arm around her waist. He tucked his head up on her shoulder. "Veggie dogs," he grinned at her.

She smiled and wrapped her arms around him. "Well then," she murmured, "I suppose I'll have to find some other way to use that energy, hm?"

He gave her a squeeze. "Play nice, Piggy," he growled under his breath. "The sun's still up."

"Not for long," she whispered. She kissed his cheek and slipped away.

Pepe relaxed in the Jacuzzi. "Dis es America, hokay?" he sighed happily. "A nice day, a barbecue with friends, a sexy prawn, and a Jacuzzi. All dat's missing is de sexy ladies, hokay?"

"Yup, 'dis is America," Rizzo agreed as he snuck off with Pepe's plate of food. "Especially with da Spanish accent."

"Yeah, immigration built the country!" Gonzo said. "Just ask the Chef!"

They turned and looked at their self-proclaimed culinary expert.

He was singing. "Ashmundica! Ashmundica! Yahg shfer der hüngred Smair!"

Rowlf grinned and joined the song. "And crown thy good, with brotherhood..."

"Froom shmoonder shmeer dig shmeer!"

Impressive, Kermit thought to himself. Usually we need twenty blankets to fit all of us- this year we've only got fifteen, and all of us are here!

And yet, there was still some room to spare... at least, on this blanket, there was.

Fozzie and Robin were on this blanket, sitting side by side. Kermit had been sitting next to them, staring up at the bright, colorful display in the sky, but he had lain down, and they had since scooted forward.

And now, right here on his chest, somehow tucked between his collar and his sling, there was a beautiful head of blonde curls, and there was a silky purple glove holding onto his right hand.

His hand was happily resting on her shoulder. It was hard to see the fireworks like this, but... well, who really cared about the fireworks. The people were the part that mattered, and he was very aware of the people.

He knew, for example, every time that Fozzie and Robin agreed on the beauty of the fireworks. He knew when Clifford mumbled his approval. He knew when Scooter pointed out that this or that design had shown up upside down. He knew when Gonzo was whispering to Camilla, and when Floyd murmured something, and when The Swedish Chef yawned, and when Crazy Harry sighed under his breath that he wished he could do something like this.

This is what America REALLY is, he thought quietly. It's the people. We the people... He took his hand from Miss Piggy's shoulder and pushed himself up, just slightly. The people. Not just the boarding house, but all the people... everyone in the park, in the state, in the country... All the people... And they were all... free.

Miss Piggy was very much aware of his shift. "Kermie," she whispered. "What are you thinking about?"

After a moment, he whispered, "What I'm looking at."

She smiled faintly. "What are you looking at?" she whispered sweetly.

He hesitated for a long moment, deep in thought. Finally he whispered, "What I fought for."

She sat up and looked around. The park was full of people. People were stretched out on blankets, snuggled up together, staring up at the sky, staring at each other, falling asleep in spite of the steady booming of the fireworks.

She slowly turned and looked at Kermit, who was gazing out, not at the fireworks, but at the people.

She wrapped her arms around him and gave him a soft, tender kiss, persuading him to slowly lie down once more. "Kermie," she whispered, settling her head on his chest again, this time overlapping his collar. "I'm so proud of you."

He slid his good arm around her, thinking. "Sometimes..." But then he stopped.

She nudged closer. "What is it?" she whispered.

He gave her a quick, soft squeeze. "I'll tell you later," he mumbled.

She shifted and held him more firmly. "Tell me!" she whispered.

"Later, Piggy," he murmured. "Fireworks now."

"So?" She kissed his cheek.

He smiled and tilted his head to whisper into her ear. "Sometimes," he said, "I need to know for sure that you're the only one who can hear what I'm saying, and this isn't the place to know that."

She slowly grinned and pulled him close to her. "Now that, Kermie," she whispered, "Is a very acceptable answer."

He snuggled up to her. "Thank you," he murmured. "Now can we 'ooh' and 'ah' with everyone else for a while?"

"Do we have to?" she sighed.

"Wow! Hey Uncle Kermit, did you see that one?"

Kermit grinned. "Yes."

theprawncracker

Reaction score
THEY WERE ALL FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! WHOOOOOOOO!!! Wowowowowowow!!! PEPE!!! GONZO!!! RIZZO!!! CHEF!! CHEERLEADERS!! ROBIN!!! FIREWORKS!! HEY UNCLE KERMIT DID YOU SEE THAT ONE?!?!?! ZOOOOOOOW!!! I LOVED IT!! SO great!! MORE PLEASE!!