50th Anniversary DVD announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
You know, I'm kinda beginning to side with Oscarfan now in not digging the simplistic cover art; I feel like something like this that is celebrating the show's entire run should be more akin to the hodgepodge of the Sunny Days cover:

I would’ve loved to seen the cover with an original group picture of the characters. I’m more tired of the way that both Sesame and the Muppets use old stock images. I always like seeing newer images

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Considering there's separate trailers for both discs as well as the whole set, it makes me wonder if the two discs will be available separately in addition to as a set (most likely the case digitally).

A lot of stuff I'm not really surprised by. I figured Elmo's Ducks would probably be there (a few years ago Toughpigs did an article on that being the most-viewed clip on their official YouTube channel, though that honor has likely gone to a different clip by now). It's great that the mystery box segment is finally seeing an official home video release. I'm also glad that the Sherlock Hemlock clip on here (and we don't know that that's the only one) is one that hasn't yet been released on video (considering that before this there's only been two Sherlock Hemlock segments on physical disc). Ditto for the Monsterpiece Theater sketch known for inclusion is one that hasn't been released on physical media (it was in an episode in the digital Sesame Street Classics Vol. 2, which I am at a loss on whether to count; I'd probably count that release more if it was a specially-assembled digital compilation of inserts ).

Most of the street stories that have been confirmed in articles are shown in the trailer (the vulture.com article mentions Snuffy's debut which is the only confirmed one we don't get a glimpse of). I'm not surprised by anything we now know. I figured we'd either get The Count's noble prize or Numericon, have been hoping we don't get both since both have been released on DVD in expanded forms (I was hoping for Numericon a little over the other, it'd be good to see that story as aired as opposed to with all the extra footage, but I can see the Jerry Nelson tribute being more important).

If the two discs are sold separately in addition to together, it would be great to know which one sells better (ditto for the digital release).

The Shout! releases have been having special YouTube reviews by kids, I think they've all gone online before the releases came out (there's been a review for the upcoming Dance Party a few weeks ago, and I think Awesome Alphabet Collection had a review a month before it was released). It would be interesting to see if they have a kid review this set, not because it could give us confirmation on a few more segments (okay, that's one of the reasons, but actually not my main reason for curiosity),but it would be interesting to see if they have a kid review this more collectors-based release. Interesting to see a kids take on various things that are more for fans like us.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
The only thing I'm interested in is the Bob and Sherlock Hemlock skit.

Otherwise, looks like the rest will be stuff we've seen a million times before. If that's the case, I'll pass.
We don't have a full listing of skits yet, so you really shouldn't be worrying about that right now. I would highly advise you to read ToughPigs' article in full detail; I'm sure your attitude will change afterwards.

Last edited:

Cookie3001

Reaction score
40 years of sunny days had some good stuff, I don't think "if I knew you were coming" was on dvd or yt before that, I don't think "U Really Got a Hold Me" was either. I don't know what wasn't available before but I know that we will get some good stuff, this is a bigger anniversary so we will definitely get more than just "Who Are You"

Reactions: zns

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if the announced outtakes will actually show the performers or not. I know that normally the performers stay in character rather than put the characters down and show themselves (which is how I used to think they'd act when messing up). Hopefully, all outtakes included will be for segments that appear on the set (which would be a good reason for certain repeats).

I wonder if any of the short form series will be included. Those segments are a bit lengthy, so I don't know if I'd want them all included (better to devote more time to more classics). I'd like for a Cookie's Crumby Pictures segment to be included, and maybe another or two. I'd expect an installment of the current Elmo's World to be more likely than the original since it's a lot shorter (of course 40 Years of Sunny Days only had a couple snippets from Elmo's World), but it's definitely not a big deal if we don't get one here (so much Elmo's World is on DVD, and we'll probably get a new Elmo's World DVD soon enough). Part of me would like for this to have a Foodie Truck so we can get Gonger on the set. Of course there are some non-short-form segments I'd like to see included that seem to be a bit lengthy as well.

Not short form, but this past week, I have been hoping we could get a Spanish Word of the Day segment. I don't think any is particularly rare in an age of YouTube, but it would be great to have one included considering they've been cut from current broadcasts and recent releases of episodes.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had thought it'd be cool if this had a segment or two from the upcoming 50th season (like how I thought 40 Years of Sunny Days should have some season 40 segments... and it did!), but I realized that the Solange appearance was made for season 49 but hasn't aired yet. Assuming it will eventually air (and assuming it will air in season 50 and not later), you could say that that's a season 50 segment to be seen here first (of course if they're arranged by season, and listed by season in the chapter stops, I have a feeling it'll be listed as a season 49 segment). I hadn't realized that season 49 had been close to ending when this set was announced.

If this set sells well enough (and even if it doesn't...) I hope that Joe will get to compile more collectors-themed Sesame Street releases for years to come (I wonder if he's compiled content for past releases; I wonder how likely he would have compiled a release for the shows target audience and not announced it online). It'd be fun to see some more collectors sets where one disc is inserts and another is street stories (especially pre-season 30 street stories), or even a two-disc set of street stories (which would be a good way to do a spotlight release for characters like Big Bird, Oscar, Snuffleupagus, and certain others).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I know it's too late now, but in thinking about what versions of various segments that have been redone many times over the years (including ones where every version has been released on video), it would have been cool if Sesame Workshop had fans vote online for what versions of certain songs they wanted included (like when their Facebook page asked us to nominate clips for the 40th anniversary set, or when Amazon had fans vote for a clip to be included, or when Sesame Workshop had fans vote for clips to be included in Best of Friends). Of course they still could do that for a future DVD release (and I started thinking it might be cool to have a DVD consisting of segments/songs that were remade, a cool way to compare them all and such, but that's probably for another thread).

Flintstonefan

Reaction score
Here's what I would love this DVD to have.

At least one full clip of Brian's Elmo and one full clip of Richards Elmo.

The street scenes of episode 847

Brunos first appearance

The scene when big bird and snuffy say they can't be friends anymore.

The very last appearance of Mr. Hooper

The season 16 episode when Oscar meets Snuffy

Some street scenes that deal with Maria's pregnancy, including the food cravings episode.

Street scenes from either episode 415 or 1911.

Scenes with the fix it shop renovation including episode 1411 that features telly in his first non tv monster appearance.

Anything with Dr price or forgetful jones not yet released. Street scenes from some of the rebuilding of hoopers store episodes 2791-2795

Status
Not open for further replies.