50th Anniversary DVD announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
My turn for speculation:

re: Disc 1 - I wouldn't expect a season-by-season breakdown like the 40 Years disc. Since it's only three hours or so, I would probably expect segments to be grouped by decade, and I would not be surprised if some seasons get overlooked/unrepresented.

re: Disc 2 - This one is two-ish hours, right? The average street plot count be anywhere from 10 to maybe 15 minutes. So, I'm gonna take a swing and say 10 or so stories will be there.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I decided to compare the run time to the 40 Years of Sunny Days release, which was five hours also (disc 1 was 180 minutes, which I think totals three hours), while this release is five hours.

As usual, I keep thinking up my own wishlist in addition to what's been confirmed. Oddly, I haven't been thinking too much about really rare stuff this time around. I think of some things I want to see that aren't online in English (or even pictured), but most of what I've been thinking I'd like included are segments that have been on YouTube for some time. Joe mentioned it has a lot of rare unreleased clips, but "rare" can be a little selective. It could be stuff that hasn't been seen/seen in English in years (except maybe by Sesame Workshop staff and Scarecroe), or stuff that were rare for a long time but have been online for some time, or maybe primarily stuff that Sesame Workshop has not made available in English for years but have been seen from tape traders/fan uploads.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that you’re not actually charged until the item ships out. Be careful if you’re using a debit card and not a credit card.
wait, they don't charge you until October 1st? in that case I might just order right away and deposit the money later

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
If you really want to go that way, I would just use a credit card.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
If you really want to go that way, I would just use a credit card.
I don't have a credit card yet, if I'm not allowed to do that then Amazon will just send an email saying payment declined and if that happens I will just wait until I get the money, I just don't want to wait too long to order the DVD

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I just wasn't happy with the last few SS compilation DVDs. The 40th anniversary DVD was pretty good and I hope we get something like that but with more stuff we haven't seen yet
In case you didn't read ToughPigs' announcement, yes there WILL be rare content on there. Other than Joe Hennes and whoever else was probably involved in selecting what will be included, I don't think anybody knows what the clips will be. So, I can assure you that your prayers have been answered. (And no, I wasn't involved with the choosing of what would be included in the set)

Cookie3001

Reaction score
In case you didn't read ToughPigs' announcement, yes there WILL be rare content on there. Other than Joe Hennes and whoever else was probably involved in selecting what will be included, I don't think anybody knows what the clips will be. So, I can assure you that your prayers have been answered. (And no, I wasn't involved with the choosing of what would be included in the set)
oh, I wonder if that's why they did the Somebody Come and Poll a few months ago

minor muppetz

Reaction score
To think, there are other franchises where the fandoms have somebody to interact with who has been involved with DVD releases. Okay, so right now I can only think of that for classic animation releases, with Jerry Beck and the late Earl Kress being people who have been involved with a lot of classic animation releases and have interacted with fans on forums and blogs and social media and such. I think Joe Hennes might be the first person who's been involved with the main contents of a Sesame Street video release who the fans can interact with (though there's probably limits over what he can tell us; the others I mentioned above have had limits as well).

There was the "somebody come and poll" article, but it would be cool if there could be a contest for people to send in wishlists/guess lists and award whoever comes the closest to correctly guessing what's included (would it count as a true "wish list" if they have to include things that have already been confirmed even if they're things the person compiling the list wouldn't have requested?).

I wonder how the digital release will play out. Will the entire contents all be on one disc? Will both discs be downloadable separately? Or will the separations be one disc and then all individual street stories on disc 2 download separately?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I wonder how the digital release will play out. Will the entire contents all be on one disc? Will both discs be downloadable separately? Or will the separations be one disc and then all individual street stories on disc 2 download separately?
The Sesame Spoofs set was sold on iTunes as two separate "movies," so this would probably follow the same.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
As I kept thinking and rethinking a wishlist, in addition to including what has been confirmed in articles, I thought, instead of posting a straightforward wishlist, I'll post a basic outline of what I usually think/wish for this set. Most repeats from other sets have either already been confirmed or are repeats that I won't be surprised about. I agree with Oscarfan's theory that they'll more likely be grouped by ten-year periods and that some seasons might be omitted, but my wishlist here will still group them by season. And it is common for me to think of different orders for segments by season.

Disc 1 wishlist outline:
  • Season 1 - Bert and Ernie segment (sometimes, but not that often, I think of having it start with the opening scene from episode 1, though I'd expect scenes from the first episode to appear on disc 2 if they do, or the original Rubber Duckie, if the celebrity version isn't included, but for the most part, I usually think of a season 1 Bert and Ernie segment to open the set), additional first season Muppet segment (I usually think something with Kermit and either Cookie Monster or Grover; other segments I might think of putting in this place or a little higher are the original People in Your Neighborhood or Everyone Likes Ice Cream), one of the baker films (usually #9), James Earl Jones recites the alphabet, Batman: Dirty and clean, Jazz Numbers segment (sometimes I place it with season 2, since some first aired then), Bein' Green (if the season 7 version isn't included).
  • Season 2 - a Grover segment (often either "Grover Gets a Surprise" or "Grover Counts Three Blocks"), season two Henson number segment (usually either Eleven Cheer, Ball #3 with powder ending, King of 8, or 12345), Larry and Phyllis segment, and Baby Monster: IS.
  • Season 3 - Amazing Mumford segment (usually either Levitation Magic or Empty and Full), Mr. Hooper adds chairs, Ladybug Picnic (if not the remake), The Sound of the Letter A, Mad Painter segment, Kermit and Bob discuss frogs, and Lefty the Salesman segment (actually, when thinking up a wishlist for this, it varies whether I think of a Lefty segment from seasons 1, 2, or 3), Ernie breaks the vase.
  • Season 4 - Segment with a Muppet interacting with a child (either a John-John segment, Kermit and Joey sing the alphabet, or Kermit, Shola, and Fanny show next to), Roosevelt Franklin segment, Bread Milk and Butter, Imagination, sometimes a Count segment (often either The Song of the Count or The Count and Cookie Monster Co-Operate).
  • Season 5 - Nasty Dan, Luis looks for Agua, Sing with Luis and Bob (if episode 900's street scenes aren't included on disc 2), Kermit News: Three Little Pigs with The Count.
  • Season 6 - Typewriter segment, Grover serves a burger, and either What's the Name of That Song?, I'm Square, or Counting is Wonderful.
  • Season 7 - Kermit and the earmuff salesman (if this set doesn't include the season 7 Bein' Green, season 7 Don Music segments, or season 15's Health Minutes: Teeth), Don Music segment (often either Old MacDonald or Row Your Boat), Pinball Animation segment, Frazzle, and Surprise.
  • Season 8 - Judy Collins and cast sing "Water Cantata".
  • Season 9 - Great Snuffle Derby, Monsterpiece Theater: Upstairs, Downstairs (if not any other MT segments listed in this wishlist), Sing After Me (if not season 19's Madeline Kahn: M), Fireworks Alphabet.
  • Season 10 - Various segments with Muppets or cast members shot on location in New York City, empy and full limo with cast, Big Bird, and Snuffy (okay, that's really just on my wishlist at the moment, I haven't thought about including it much but it is something I'd like to see), Don Music: How to Get to Yellowstone Park (if season 7 Don Music segments listed aren't included).
  • Season 11 - Geometry of Circles (it would be cool to have the full version with all four segments), The Leslie Mostly Show: Guy Smiley (if not certain season 12 Leslie Mostly segments), Super Grover: Out and In School, Elmo learns about the H sound (not sure if this would better fall under disc 2).
  • Season 12 - Itzhak Perlman: Easy and hard, Mystery Guest, The Leslie Mostly Show with either The Count or Kermit (if not the Guy Smiley one from season 11, though I am surprised to say that I include Leslie Mostly in my wishlists just as often as I don't), Deena and Pearl: Pearl gets sick, Gordon talks about rain.
  • Season 13 - Rainy Day Song, Proud to Be a Cow.
  • Season 14 - We Coulda, I Wish I had a Friend to Play with Me, Up on the Roof, Monsterpiece Theater: The Sound of Music.
  • Season 15 - DUCKIE, Grover's Health Minutes: Teeth (if not the earmuff salesman from season 7), Teeny Little Superguy: Red Hat (if not season 16's Swing), Bert and Ernie play a drum beats game.
  • Season 16 - Hola.
  • Season 17 - Happy and sad with Kermit and Elmo, Miami Mice (varies between the three), Snuffy takes off.
  • Season 18 - Squeal of Fortune (often if not Miami Mice: The Count), Kermit's Mystery Box (usually if no season 17 Kermit segments, or if I didn't already include a Kermit and Cookie segment).
  • Season 19 - Madeline Kahn: M (if not season 9 segment), Bring That Thing (if not season 12's Mystery Guest), Paul Simon and Ladysmith Black Mambazo sing the alphabet.
  • Season 20 - The Word is No!, Mysterious Theater: The Case of the Missing Cat (actually, I have put all four equally in various wishlists in my head), Monsterpiece Theater: Guys and Dolls, Detective series cartoon, Fay Ray: Animal Costumes.
  • Season 21 - Elmo's Song, AlphaQuest segment, Caveperson Days: Taking out the trash, I Wonder About the World Above Up There.
  • Season 22 - I don't think there's much that I consistently include in wishlists for this.
  • Season 23 - Forgetful Jones: On a Roll with Cowboy Cole (actually, when I think of wishlists for this set, I often think of different Forgetful Jones segments from list to list, but I think I've included this rarity more than any other Forgetful Jones segment).
  • Season 24 - Simon Soundman meets Old MacDonald, Jim Carrey: Feet, Monsterpiece Theater: Monsters with Dirty Faces.
  • Season 25 - Just Happy to Be Me, Little Miss Count-Along, Cookie Monster and Lexine talk about the letter L, Please Take a Number Sir! (preferably the original ending).
  • Season 26 - Felines, first and last cookie, Suzie Kabloozie hates the letter F.
  • Season 27 - Can't really think of much off-hand from this season that I really want included.
  • Season 28 - See season 27.
  • Season 29 - Worms in Space: K, Things That I Remember.
  • Season 30 - REM: Furry Happy Monsters, Patti LeBelle: Gospel Alphabet.
  • Season 31 - Can't really think of anything from this season I really want included.
  • Season 32 - Keb Mo: Ev'rybody Be Yo'Self.
  • Season 33 - Letter of the Day segment, Number of the Day segment.
  • Season 34 - Can't really think of much from this season I really want.
  • Season 35 - Nora Jones: Don't Know Y, The First Time Me Eat Cookie.
  • Season 36 - See what I said for seasons 22, 27, 28, 31, and 34.
  • Season 37 - Meal or No Meal (though I think it might be a little long).
  • Season 38 - Because We're Friends.
  • Season 39 - Feist: 1234, Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures: Tiny Town, Elmo's Ducks, Pre-School Musical.
  • Season 40 - Ricky Gervais: Celebrity Lullabies, Super K Cereal.
  • Season 41 - Will.I.Am: What I Am, I Like My Hair.
  • Season 42 - Spider-Monster: The Musical.
  • Season 43 - Upside-Downton Abbey.
  • Season 44 - Cookie and Abby play checkers, Cookie's Crumby Pictures: Star S'mores.
  • Season 45 - The Power of Yet.
  • Season 46 - Orange is the New Snack, Sara Bareilles: Just Like Magic.
  • Season 47 - Rubber Duckie (with celebrities)
  • Season 48 - So Much Alike
  • Season 49 - Michael Keegan Keys: N is for newspaper, Solange appearance.
  • And maybe an upcoming segment or two from season 50.

And when thinking up wishlists for this there are plenty of other segments that I might think of but not too often, and there are some unreleased favorites/things I want to see that I never think of when thinking up a wishlist for this. I might have thought a bit too much '70s compared to other seasons, but I'm sure most buyers for this will be interested most in the 1970s, 1980s, and maybe 1990s. Maybe I should have thought of a few more sketches with the human cast, or maybe a few more short-form segments (which would take up a bit of time), I kinda feel wrong not including Elmo's World or Elmo the Musical or Cookie Monster's Foodie Truck. But then again, I'm sure the contents are all finalized, we probably will get a little more from the last two decades then I've listed here.

And now my wishlist for disc 2. Oscarfan predicts we'll get ten or so street stories, I'd like to agree but still include a few more. Seven street stories have already been confirmed in various articles, I'll include all that have been confirmed plus a few more that I hope get included:
  • Scenes from the first episode (not so much a wish but I feel it's important to include some street scenes from the first episode; I'd like something from the first season, not quite sure what other season one episode would be great to have)
  • Big Bird meets Snuffy
  • Linda moves to Sesame Street
  • Maria becomes a construction worker
  • The Wicked Witch visits Sesame Street
  • Ernie's sing-along in the bathroom
  • Big Bird becomes jealous of Cody
  • A movie gets filmed at Hooper's Store
  • Mister Rogers judges the race
  • Gordon and Snuffy run in the marathon
  • Goodbye, Mr. Hooper
  • Snuffy is seen
  • Gina looks for Mr. Robinson
  • Luis and Maria get married
  • Bob's brother visits
  • The park opens around the corner
  • Cookie's World
  • Meet Julia

Wow, that's a lot more than just a little more than ten (and there are quite a few I thought of that I ended up not listing here). And I'd also like to see selections from a few storyarcs - trip to Hawaii, trip to Puerto Rico, Big Bird goes to camp, Slimey goes to the moon (or maybe just street scenes from the episode where he lands on the moon), and the hurricane episodes. I hope this set tests the waters for more releases of old school street stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.