15 years - Where were you?

Rowbes

Reaction score
Monday May 16 marks the 15th anniversary of Jim Henson's death.
Where were you?

"Where were you" is something that is often asked about historical events. Celebrity deaths, terrorist attacks, natural disasters, etc. Everyone can relate to an event with their own story of how they found out about it. The mundane events we partake of incidentally seem unimportant, but it shows the importance of historical events that we can recall exactly where we were and what we were doing when we heard of them.

I was in fifth grade.
I was getting ready for school that wednesday morning when my mother poked her head through my bedroom door. Apparently she had turned on the news to find that the creator of the Muppets had passed away in New York some eight odd hours earlier. "Jim Henson died," she told me, somberly. I sat there for a minute, not knowing how to react. I'm still not sure how you're supposed to feel when someone you've never met, but who has meant so much to you, dies so unexpectedly. Numbly, I went to school, and it was all anyone was talking about. "I'm going to buy 'Ninja Turtles' when it comes out on video," my friend Josh informed me, "cause it's his last work, you know?" I didn't bother disputing that, though I knew there were other projects yet to emerge.

When a celebrity dies an untimely death, it's always sad. But Jim's death was so hard to accept because their was no cancer or plane crash to blame. It didn't seem to make sense, that he could just be wiped out by a treatable illness. I had been previously unaware that pneumonia could kill anyone.

After school I walked home the long way, humming tunes from Labyrinth and the Muppet Movie and even the theme from the Jim Henson Hour, which had been my favorite show. Once I got home, I cried... then prayed.

I also remember watching a tv special where the Muppets payed their respects to him. It was funny and inventive, yet tasteful and sensitive. The Muppets were trying to figure out who Jim Henson was, and Gonzo develops the theory that he was an accountant because he had signed their paychecks. At the end of the show they read letters of condolences sent in by children. It was very touching, and it gave me happiness that the Muppets had not died with him.

On monday, I'll be wearing a black t-shirt with Kermit on it.
Please join me in remembering an icon.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
You see this is when I feel oh so terribly young.
I have no recollection as to where I was at all. At the time I had no idea who Jim Henson was.

I was only one year old.

I feel like I'm missing something as a fan, having never had the shock of "Jim Henson died". To me... it's like he's... you know, I can't even bring myself to type it. But I've never seen the tribute the muppets did for him. For me, it's always been "Jim Henson was..." and it has never been "Jim Henson is..." and in that, I think- I know- I'm missing something. Something big is missing.

I will join you in remembering an icon. :sympathy:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It was before I was even one-year-old. Yet, I wasn't told about Jim's death until after Muppet Treasure Island was released. Imagine, all these years and they kept it a secret from me.

HPDJ

Reaction score
When I was five, I saw Xmas Carol for the 1st time. It said "In loving memory of Jim Henson". I WAS FLABBERGASTED! MY CHILDHOOD HERO! It was almost as uppsetting as when I found out Roald Dahl died.

I, like others, was not alive on the day that he died. I too feel empty when fans talk about his death, as I can not do that.

I'm really upset at reading these stories. Long live Kermit the Frog. :sympathy:

Rowbes

Reaction score
You guys make me feel old. :sleep:

Waldorf: "I wish I'd studied Shakespeare when I was a kid."
Statler: "When you were a kid you could have TALKED to Shakespeare!"

HPDJ

Reaction score
Rowbes, this is a memorial service, not a wedding party! :wink:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
HPDJ said:
Rowbes, this is a memorial service, not a wedding party! :wink:
On the other hand, Jim Henson did request that a band play "when the saints go marching in" at his funeral, and that nobody wear black...

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I was not alive when Mr. Henson passed, it was 5 months and 13 days before I was born.

I don't know when I found out Jim Henson had died, it might have been when I was watching Muppet Babies or Sesame Street. I do remember asking my mom how Ernie and Kermit could still perform without Jim. I told her I thought they took recordings of his voice and put them together to make new skits. I was young don't laugh.

I read somewhere that Frank Oz wore red to Jim's funeral.

And yes I will be wearing black in memory of the death of such a great man, and a hero to many.:sympathy: :big_grin: :smile: