Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree about Sarah's part seeming really odd (it was less funny than Bob Hope in TMM, and that's saying something). But part of Sarah's humour has always been saying something normal and it sounding really mean, which is kinda what she did here. Ish.

However, I was focusing more on the Kermit/Piggy plot than the Tex/Muppets plot, and for the Kermit/Piggy plot I felt that the Me Party certainly added something to the movie. She came back, and many may have thought that she just came back for Kermit, so that sequence makes it clear(er) that she came back for The Muppets themselves as well (even if she is fooling herself into thinking that...which personally I don't think she is.) It added a little extra depth to that storyline.

I guess that's where it depends which storyline you were focusing on...as to whether you would have added/taken away the Tex song verse and/or the Amy song/verse.

I really dislike the Tex verse about his childhood...and I also would have disliked to see the Muppets as child-entertainers who show up at kids birthday parties (even really rich kids). Would self-respecting singers, entertainers or artists really show up at a 10 Year Olds party?

In fact, if I may delve further, while it would have been interesting to see the comparison of Walter who ADORED them on first sight and Tex who hated/was scared of them on first sight. Surely that would have confused the issue of whether the Muppets are something that you can latch onto as an outsider. Seeing as Tex was obviously an outsider (laughed at) and did not like them.

Did kids really need to see a child disliking the Muppets? Would that not have confused the issue? (Also the message that if you don't find the Muppets funny then you will grow up evil...is kinda off in my opinion.)

On top of which all I'm hearing in my head is Ed's "DON'T! LAUGH! AT! ME!" and that was cringe worthy in MFS.
Well, it should have better explained that Tex couldn't laugh and I like that he had some sort of personal disdain for the Muppets that went deeper than oil.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Word is that they originally did cut "Me Party" from the film, but stuck it back in to beef-up Amy Adams' role and to give a girl-power portion to the movie. It was short and kind of cute so I have no problem with it other than the fact that Sarah Silverman was given nothing to do. I'm sure she could have thought up something funny.
I actually don't hate that portion at all, but it really seems that it took time out of the movie that could better solve some of the pacing issues. I'm starting to want an extra disk double set (ala Dreamworks films) with a movie made out of all the cut footage. I'm pretty sure it amounts to another movie.

I can agree that the scene about Tex didn't make or break the movie, but it would have been nice to have that in the film, just so it beefed up the non-sequitor of an ending.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder how popular the Muppets were when Walter first knew of them. In the flashback, he first knew of the Muppets upon renting a Muppet video as a child, after being somewhat older than a baby. I would think he would have known about them by that point. But then again, the kids do laugh at him for wearing a Kermit costume... It'd be weird that he first learned of the Muppets after they'd been out of the public eye, and became a big fan.

I think somebody mentioned that Rizzo was credited among Steve Whitmire's characters. I wonder if he really did. The director said he wanted to give Rizzo lines but couldn't work them in, implying there's no deleted scene with him, and when Steve Whitmire was interviewed for Tough Pigs, which occured when production on the film was ending (if not already complete) he said that he hadn't performed Rizzo in a few years, even in productions Rizzo appeared in. So I doubt Whitmire performed him here. The only scene he would have been able to perform Rizzo in would be in the finale when Rizzo and the rats appear with Beauregard. Then again, we know that they reshot the ending, I can't remember if that was after the interview.

I've read that Tyler Bunch performed Thog in all of his scenes, even though the character didn't get any lines. I wonder if Matt Vogel performed Sweetums in every scene he appeared, whether he spoke or not. I don't think any of Vogel's other characters had lines whenever Sweetums appeared on-screen.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I wonder how popular the Muppets were when Walter first knew of them. In the flashback, he first knew of the Muppets upon renting a Muppet video as a child, after being somewhat older than a baby. I would think he would have known about them by that point. But then again, the kids do laugh at him for wearing a Kermit costume... It'd be weird that he first learned of the Muppets after they'd been out of the public eye, and became a big fan.
I'm pretty sure he was about 11/12 at the time. You see his 13th birthday party.

ryan19

Reaction score
Hi ZeppoAndFriends was that meant for me ? ima lil rusty here & am not sure how it works , but if so then thanks for the compliment , had a hard time persuading them people to sell it to me ... but the hard work paid off =D

Hi Muppetlover123 , No one has ever asked to see my collection before , you'd defo the 1st , hahaaa ... will try & do so when i have some free time here , thanks .

Have a happy day dear muppet fans .

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Hi ZeppoAndFriends was that meant for me ? ima lil rusty here & am not sure how it works , but if so then thanks for the compliment , had a hard time persuading them people to sell it to me ... but the hard work paid off =D
Yes, it was and you're very welcome. :big_grin: