Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

blackaerin

Reaction score
Okay, sorry one other observation that's been bugging me.

Does anyone think that the puppets were behaving a little static?
They seem to be missing that Muppety spark that makes them so alive.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Okay, sorry one other observation that's been bugging me.

Does anyone think that the puppets were behaving a little static?
They seem to be missing that Muppety spark that makes them so alive.
I did think there was just a little too much plot and not enough Muppet antics. There were definitely moments of spark though, like Gonzo on the roof, lol. There needed to be more of that. :smile:

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
My step-niece wished she could have gone to the movie, but she's been busy working that she didn't get a chance. I told her the DVD was coming out in March, so she's going to rent it. I'm buying the DVD for me and my niece to watch (I'm babysitting her in a few days, so we're going to watch some of my Muppet DVD's, she's only 8).

dabauckham

Reaction score
The cleaning montage was far superior than the getting everyone together montage. Especially since they had the Muppets singing over We Built this City... too bad that version's not on the soundtrack.
I agree - it would have been a little better if they included the Muppets singing over We Built this City. The Muppets make everything better - even bad songs.

Really interesting about MMJ writing songs for the Electric Mayhem! I really do hope the EM get a song for the next movie. :stick_out_tongue:

muppfozz

Reaction score
I agree, it is sad that Frank's no longer working with the Muppets, but hey, he's doing what he's always wanted to do, so good for him. And, that being said, I've come to absolutely adore Eric Jacobson (as of late I've taken quite a shining to the second generation of Muppeteers). I think Eric's been doing a great job with all of Frank's characters. Miss Piggy's still all feminine and chic, with that unswerving will to not take BS from anyone (and to karate chop anyone who disagrees with her), and Fozzis is still Fozzie, bad jokes and all. I know he doesn't sound exactly the same as Frank's Fozzie, but no one ever truly will. I think his work as a Muppeteer has been amazing, and I just wanted to put it out there how much I appreciate him. :smile:
:crazy:Some of the new people that have replaced the early performers are good and getting better but I miss Frank and Jim Henson was like family to me. When we lost him I cried for days. Steve is very good with Kermit and getting better all the time I am happy to say.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'd read that the credit for Bill Barretta performing Foozie was a mistake and it was actually Tyler Bunch (and that it'll be corrected for the DVD... So I guess that'll make the theatrical release a rarity). It makes me wonder if Matt Vogel performing Roowlf was a mistake. Muppet Wiki mentions that Vogel performed both Roowlf and Janooce, and I think "Janice Moopet" was uncredited. Odd that Vogel would perform two members of the Moopets, especially with the limited dialogue of members who aren't Miss Poogy (unless Muppet Wiki was wrong).

It's interesting how, before getting Miss Piggy, Kermit acts like they have everyone, with the others trying to point out they hadn't found Miss Piggy yet, as if she was the only one they hadn't rounded up. There were clearly a LOT more not contacted by then, unless the others just planned on meeting up at the theater (or unless many were traveling inside the trunk). Or maybe the rest of the Muppets were still living near the theater and studio and therefore weren't needed until the Muppets were done traveling the world.

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
I finally saw it (we just now got it down here)... and I enjoyed it. It was very good. I even got a wee bit teary eyed at a few scenes! The one that pops in my head is when Kermit was singing to the paintings in the hallway in his house. I really enjoyed the new Muppet songs. It was a welcome sight to see them re-enact the intro to the Muppet Show, as well as the duet on Rainbow Connection.

The only things that knocked it down a few points was the singing from the main "real" characters. Two numbers from them would've been enough. I also felt just a bit let down by the resolution at the end with Tex Richman, not so much Walter's grand finale as someone mentioned earlier. Overall I give it an 8/10.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Well, I finally got to see the movie, via internet download. It was a cam-corder rip, but in much better quality than the version that's been floating around lately. I didn't want to bother waiting for it to come to theaters because...

1) I'm in Thailand, and it's not certain whether the movie will make it here or not. I've had doubts about it coming here before, but recently I've read a press release online regarding movies coming out this year, The Muppets being one of them. I've even looked at another website for a local cineplex that has a page for the movie on it, but when translating it via Google, all it said was: "The date has not yet been released". Then I thought, forget about it. Which brings me to...

2) I don't really like going to theaters that much, because there's always a chance of people talking while you're trying to watch the movie (even to the point where they won't shut up, which annoys me), and me having to go to the bathroom in the middle of it.

Anyway, here's what I thought about the movie:

I enjoyed it very much. To me, it really felt like a project from the "Jim era" of the Muppets. It wasn't 100% perfect, but then again, there's no such thing as a "100% Perfect" movie (nor has there ever been. Heck, even the Muppet movies before this one weren't perfect either, but still good nonetheless, because afterall, it's the Muppets).

The Good:
-Everything! (like I said, it's the Muppets, what did you expect?)
-I had a smile on my face the whole time.
-Let's Talk About Me had me ROFL. Not because of the song itself, but seeing Chris Cooper sing and dance to this, considering the "serious" roles he's known for which makes this scene hilarious.
-I laughed
-I enjoyed the songs (well, almost all of them)
-Walter - Such a great character. Me being a die-hard Muppet fan, I saw so much of myself in him (I know everyone else here did too!)
-The Barbershop Quartet rendition of Smells Like Teen Spirit
-Poor Jack Black being tortured by these "weirdos"
-Seeing characters like Thog and Beautiful Day Monster again

The Bad:
*The song "Me Party" - thought it was "meh" (then again, I had the same reaction with "Never Before, Never Again" in TMM)

*I could do without "We Built This City" being used during the cleaning montage - not that I have anything against the song, but I do know that it's considered one of the worst. The Muppets did make the song easier to listen to, somehow (then again, they've always managed to make anything more enjoyable).

I'm aware of the stuff that's been cut from the final movie, like the prison scene and Tex Richman's back story. I'm actually glad that they omitted the latter, because it wouldn't work if it was kept intact. A more logical reason for Tex's grudge against the Muppets would have been either the Muppets did something to embarrass him at his party (though unintentionally), or that he was a fan as a kid, but was disappointed when they wound up not showing up at his party. Any of those would have justified his hatred.

As for the ending, I know some people were kind of thrown off by it, but I think that was the idea. It was basically the movie playing a joke on us, saying "Yup, the Muppets lost in the end. But they're gonna stand strong together................(as soon as credits roll) PSYCHE! Joke's on you, sucker!" I guess it also goes to show that just because you see the words THE END, and as the credits are rolling, does not necessarily mean that the movie's over.Pulling a fast one on the audience does seem like the kind of thing the Muppets would do.

Overall, great movie. I'd give it a 9/10.