Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Drtooth

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more, lol. I mean come on, "We Built this City" represents a once deep, thoughtful band (Jefferson Airplane) selling out in the '80s. Not to mention the Electric Mayhem band are clearly a product of the '60s and '70s and "Can You Picture That" fits their image so much better. :big_grin:
We Built this City was used clearly for one of the many references to 1980's movies... They could have also used "One foot In Front of the Other" from whatever the heck movie that was in (I wanna say Revenge of the Nerds)... it works as well as the parody/reference they were making... the 1980's cleaning stuff up montage.

Still, I wish the EM had a single song somewhere in the film. My Morning Jacket reportedly wrote a few songs intended for the Electric Mayhem (possibly early on in the production) but they were all cut.

Still, the last bunch of Muppet Movies didn't have one either. A line in a song is the best they've done for years. I hope the next film has a great EM song in it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
We Built this City was used clearly for one of the many references to 1980's movies...
Well I have to say again the constant '80s references really didn't even fit since The Muppet Show was primarily a '70s show. It's just that the '80s are big in pop culture right now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well I have to say again the constant '80s references really didn't even fit since The Muppet Show was primarily a '70s show. It's just that the '80s are big in pop culture right now.
That's cause all the film writers and directors, and most of those in the entertainment industry right now grew up with those things and wanted to reference them. Like everything in the 90's had to be a reference to the 70's... remember when everyone was wearing School House Rock T-Shirts?

But I will say it fits to an extent, because it's clear that the film's continuity (which counts out the later projects) that the Muppets started to break up at that point. The 80's robot? Clearly bought before Kermit and Piggy broke up.

But I felt this movie was part Muppet movies tribute, part 80's movie tribute. Still, they should have used an instrumental version of Moving Right Along (or even Mahnah Mahnah) when they were picking everyone up. The cleaning montage was far superior than the getting everyone together montage. Especially since they had the Muppets singing over We Built this City... too bad that version's not on the soundtrack.

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
Still, I wish the EM had a single song somewhere in the film. My Morning Jacket reportedly wrote a few songs intended for the Electric Mayhem (possibly early on in the production) but they were all cut.
I know MMJ was in talks for a tour where they doubled as the Electric Mayhem. Two of the songs ended up on their most recent album, "Circuital."

"Outta My System" I could see the Electric Mayhem doing (of course with some lyric changes from the version MMJ record on the album).

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1666057/my-morning-jacket-muppets-tour.jhtml

blackaerin

Reaction score
Did anyone else feel a little let down by Walter's "grand finale"?
I was hoping for a reprise medley of Life's a Happy Song/Muppet or a Man/Pictures in My Head, heck just a happier reprise of Pictures in my Head with the entire Muppet cast singing hopefully of the future instead of the past with regret would've been perfect as the show finale.
But nope.While the whistling was admittedly impressive, I'm pretty sure it's not THAT impressive as to warrant the entire theatre to clap. (I forget whether it was a standing ovation or not.) They should've gotten the Mayhem to close the show in celebration for Animal's triumphant return to drumming.
Speaking of whom, why the heck was there no EM act? Surely they rank higher than chickens in terms of epic music numbers?
While there were many amazing moments out of this movie, (omg Rowlf and Scooter were amazing, Uncle Deadly was Boss, and I think I kinda teared up from all the nostalgia), there's just small things that end up bothering me. (Like how Fozzie's eyebrows look gray, Gonzo looks sleepier than ever and was surprisingly less weird than usual, Dr. Teeth's sunglasses keep falling down over his pupils and messing up the illusion of being eyelids, why certain characters got so little screentime/lines, that really awkward rap, Bobo is employed to a villain again? and other things I can't quite put my finger on at the moment but bothered me all the same.)
I'm also not that fond of the "main characters" aside from the Muppets. It just feels uncomfortable to have humans majorly involved in the plot who aren't villains in a Muppet movie not based on book adaptations. The romantic subplot, as tiny as it was in the grand scheme of things, was still annoying and I really hate myself for this, but I really couldn't connect with Walter. Then again, I never was that fond of having to be spoonfed audience surrogates...
Also, was I the only one who was hopelessly confused as to Kermit and Piggy's drama? I didn't understand at all until I looked it up after I saw the movie.

I was also hoping there'd be something serious coming up with the Moopets. Like they'd kidnap and replace their counterparts during the show and sabotage the Muppets efforts between acts, only to end up helping the Muppets by accident.

zoebell

Reaction score
kermit and piggy's drama was really just a way to have kermit be the one to want her for a change. at least that's how i saw it. in their history, she's always the one chasing him, so they wanted to have him finally acknowledge their relationship and come clean about his feelings for her, and have it be this big moment. which it was. i thought it was very sweet

and a good thing, because there are still people who always see the kermit/piggy relationship as being totally one-sided, and this movie should make it clear for good that it isn't

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Well, I realise I'm really late to the party here, but here's what I thought about The Muppets.

I LOVED it. Beginning to end, and the more I've seen it, the more I like it. I'm newly back from my fourth time seeing it. (I had to go four times, 'cause I had 3 movie passes, and I had to pay for it at least once. It's almost out of theatres here. Last day nearby is Christmas Eve. I may need to see it again, you know, 'cause I won't be able to see it again for a long time.) There's broad strokes that just knock me over, the music, the old school feeling, Piggy's general awesomeness, Kermit's expressions, return of Kermit/Fozzie bonding, the many, many references to previous muppet movies. Piggy's hair is constantly changing, and the way she's in her MTM hair for her last shot of the film... okay... I'm rambling too much here.

The little things are charming me too. Every obsessive muppet collectable that Walter has... it reminds me fondly of an old friend's muppety bedroom. The expression on the face of Walter's Prom date. The Kermit watch. Every subtle little Kermit expression. It's like watching a good human actor. Piggy had the twinkle in her eye again. Yay! Fozzie's teddy bear. Scooter sleeping on his stomach in the hammock. Beaker's axe. That sheep wandering around eating things backstage. Everything Piggy wore. The paintings in Kermit's house... just amazing in every way. Love the sexy Piggy Painting that Kermit's covered up. Walter whistling in general, and especially when he's trying to sing Together again, and when he's tied to the sponges. Such cute goggles! Scooter's "15 minutes to curtain". I never thought I'd ever see that new again. Playing the "Find Rizzo" game. (I miss that little guy.) The muppet theatre rebuilt. Jason's genuine muppet love. You just can't fake it. The fact that the whole movie feels like a good fanfic brought to life. Uncle Deadly FASCINATES me in this. Jerry's announcer voice... Kermit's banjos on the wall.

I should really stop now. Who wants to read a giant list, really. Anyway, I'll end it with a couple of Rainbow Connection comments. Everyone singing it. The theatrical high tech gidgets like the snow and water circles. The way it made me see just how a new TV show could be done, and done well. And, because I can't resist, the Kermit and Piggy mutual on the lips smooch that looked really good, and must have been technically tricky to pull off (based on the fact they've always cheated kiss before.)

Apologies for the bad sentence structures. I can do better, but I am too wired, and tired, to care.
I'm glad you went, Sweetie. I didn't know if you would. And it's great to see you here.

Love, Ru

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I got a poster at the midnight screening at AMC. And it is legit. It's huge. I have it posted over my bed at the moment. I still want the "They're closer than you think" one. Then, my collection should be complete!
Right, I thought of that when I got home, I have to go back and ask them if they have that one....

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Did anyone else feel a little let down by Walter's "grand finale"?
Actually I kinda liked it. The way Walter's whistling almost threatens to break something, it's like he's officially taken his place in the Muppet mayhem so to speak, lol.

Leyla

Reaction score
I'm glad you went, Sweetie. I didn't know if you would. And it's great to see you here.

Love, Ru
Love ya too!

Couldn't resist. I've seen it 4 times, and I'm planning to go again on Christmas Eve morning. There's just sooo much to love. I may have to give Jason Segel a big hug someday.