Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

zoebell

Reaction score
well, yeah the interviews are always great. i've always wanted to see the old footage of them on talk shows, like when they hosted the tonight show in 79, or merv griffin in 84. i wish all that stuff existed somewhere

i especially want to see this one they did on GMA in 1988, they were interviewed for valentine's day and apparently it got dirty, lol. the transcript exists but i'd kill to see that footage- it sounded hilarious

i so wish someone would put together a dvd of muppet press appearances

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
well, yeah the interviews are always great. i've always wanted to see the old footage of them on talk shows like when they hosted the tonight show in 79, or merv griffin in 84. i wish all that stuff existed somewhere
Well I know the 1979 Tonight Show appearance and the 60 Minutes episode are part of the collection at The Paley Center for Media, located in Los Angeles and New York City.

The Tonight Show appearance is great btw, very funny segment with Kermit, Scooter and Leo Sayer, lol.

And they also preview a clip from the then new Muppet Movie. The audience went crazy when Steve Martin came on screen, lol.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
The Good Morning America skit was funny. I don't know if I'd classify it as "dirty" but it was suggestive. Piggy tells Kermit that he left his socks over at her place. "Putting your shoes under somebody's bed" is a emphemism for sleeping with them (which is also a emphemism, but I'll stop there), so I suppose leaving your socks sort of has the same implication. In case there was any doubt, Piggy said (and I'm paraphrasing) that frogs have incredible stamina, "I mean, like, lay in supplies for the weekend" and Kermit just sat there looking smug and basking it in, although he did act a little blush-y and embarrassed because "frogs don't usually talk about that stuff."

You have to just think about what it was like for Jim and Frank--on live television--to start one-upping each other with this conversation with NO IDEA where it was going to land, but the point is that Jim and Frank felt that they could speak for their characters off-script--and did! And they acted out of the relationship that they both believed existed for their two characters. Don't misunderstand--Jim and Frank were both fully aware that they were making up reality as they went, but they were doing so within the parameters of the relationship as they understood it. And in that moment, Kermit and Piggy and their life togeter was as real as any other talk show guest's would be if he or she was talking about their life/relationship.

I know that in fandoms there are always folks who want to pair people up with people that they aren't with in the fandom story, but talking about the Kermit/Piggy relationship is not that at all. It was real. I saw it. I grew up with it. (And loved it.) With the premiere of "The Muppets," it looks like it's real again, and notice this: Everything they show in the movie and everything they tell in the book go along with the facts that Piggy and Kermit were in love and had dated for years before they parted company (if you accept the new movie as canon--which there IS none, but still). In Paris, Kermit doesn't say, "Piggy, I've always liked you but I've never had those feelings about you." I did rather like how they said it in the book, once I steeled myself to read it.

Kermit is in his office looking at the Miss Piggy half of the wedding photograph. He has just been to her office to look for her but she is not there, so he rummages (snoops) a little in her desk and finds that Piggy has kept half of their movie wedding photo after all--the half with him in it--so he goes back to his office to look for his half. This is where Piggy finds him, and surprises him.

"You saved it? All this time?"
"Piggy?" Kermit looked up, startled.
Piggy says "Oh, Kermie," and holds up her half of the photo alongside his.
"It's always been you, Piggy, always," Kermit admitted.
"I know, Kermie," Miss Piggy said. "And you to me. Always."

We didn't quite get that in the movie, but close to it--the same meaning. In the movie, Kermit admits he's not good at saying these things. He never says he's not good at feeling them. And Piggy--who does love him, and always has--meets him over the halfway mark because, as she has observed in the past, she's a "one-frog pig."

Yeah. You go, girl!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Good Morning America skit was funny. I don't know if I'd classify it as "dirty" but it was suggestive. Piggy tells Kermit that he left his socks over at her place. "Putting your shoes under somebody's bed" is a emphemism for sleeping with them (which is also a emphemism, but I'll stop there), so I suppose leaving your socks sort of has the same implication. In case there was any doubt, Piggy said (and I'm paraphrasing) that frogs have incredible stamina, "I mean, like, lay in supplies for the weekend" and Kermit just sat there looking smug and basking it in, although he did act a little blush-y and embarrassed because "frogs don't usually talk about that stuff."
Wow, lol. That I would like to see! :smile: :mad:

beaker

Reaction score
Ugh, it bothers me when some people in reviews or bashing of the muppets still consider them a "kids" franchise only. I mean shoot, "Mahna Mahna" literally comes from a Swedish adult film from the late 60's, before it debuted on Sesame Street and the Ed Sullivan show. And nothing is more adult than Land of Gorch, which Scooter awesomely references on SNL recently

i so wish someone would put together a dvd of muppet press appearances
youtube ive been able to find a lot of the rare clips i dont have on vhs

zoebell

Reaction score
ok, that gma skit sounds so funny! if anybody can find that or has it i would LOVE to see it

did they do other interviews like that together?

muppfozz

Reaction score
:smile:I took my niece on Thanksgiving Day to see the movie. There were only about 20 people in the theater with us to enjoy the movie. My niece, who has special needs, does not talk so she would point to Kermit and give a thumbs up. All through the movie she would touch me to get my attention and point to Kermit and give a thumbs up . She really liked the movie and so did I. I loved the references to the first muppet movie. The Muppet Movie is my very favorite muppet movie and a top favorite movie in my list of my all time great movie list. Anyway , as references back to old muppet movies and the muppet show came up on the screen I" oh so cute- laugh - out loud" and so did some other adults old enough to know about all the other muppet stuff. I thought this was kind of like the first movie but of course not up to my standards of loving the first movie but it was very very good .I did think that some characters did not have enough screen time. Some only had a very limited appearance. Also how come they want to get some people and yet you never saw them in the car? I want to see the movie again and I hope it comes to my town because I had to go out of town the first time. I will get it on DVD. I too cried when the gang sang The Rainbow Connection. I love , love , love that song. I had to bite my tongue so I would not cry really bad because I want to be able to see the movie. From when the first Rainbow Connection was song on The Muppet Movie to this new movie alot of things have happened in my life and some have not need very good. It brought back such good and bad memories.... I want more Muppets of anything......I was so excited so see on the news Thanksgiving weekend that The Muppets came in second on going to the movies.....considering it was out during Twilight. I loved to see the muppets sing but I did not care much for the human singing. I really loved Walter's side of his bedrood with all the Muppet things. I could look at that for weeks. I really did not think that this movie would not amount to anything but I am happy to say I was wrong. It was so cute and I really enjoyed it. Maybe there is hope that more and better stuff comes our way from Disney. I have to say after all I have written..... I thought Fozzie sounded funny but not Miss Piggy and when the credits rolled NO Frank Oz...... I know people retire and move on but I hate to see the old staff that was behind all the wonderful muppets leave.

beaker

Reaction score
@Muppfozz: That literally made me tear up.

Time and time again I have seen so much evidence that the Muppets and Sesame Street light up and bring special needs kids and adults out of their shell. My mom worked with downs/severe autistic/other special needs kids and muppet vhs tapes and muppet/sesame books was one of the few things that really made them happy. a few years ago, long after my mom left that profession, a lady she had met had her own special needs son who just was very withdrawn. but my mom giving them some of my old muppet dvds/vhs and books according to my mom brought that kid into a really happy, communicative mode. And last week I noticed in one of the muppet screenings, the whole first few rows was made up of severely challened children/teens and adults...and my gosh, they were absolutely in awe and loving the film

THIS is why Im such a lifelong henson fan and will always be. Thats the sort of magic that can touch people in a way very little in today's entertainment world can.
Not putting down other kids and family franchises, but I just feel Kermit and the gang or even the Sesame characters can inspire and delight in ways Shrek, Spongebob or even a lot of Disney characters cant

Puckrox

Reaction score
I have to say after all I have written..... I thought Fozzie sounded funny but not Miss Piggy and when the credits rolled NO Frank Oz...... I know people retire and move on but I hate to see the old staff that was behind all the wonderful muppets leave.
I agree, it is sad that Frank's no longer working with the Muppets, but hey, he's doing what he's always wanted to do, so good for him. And, that being said, I've come to absolutely adore Eric Jacobson (as of late I've taken quite a shining to the second generation of Muppeteers). I think Eric's been doing a great job with all of Frank's characters. Miss Piggy's still all feminine and chic, with that unswerving will to not take BS from anyone (and to karate chop anyone who disagrees with her), and Fozzis is still Fozzie, bad jokes and all. I know he doesn't sound exactly the same as Frank's Fozzie, but no one ever truly will. I think his work as a Muppeteer has been amazing, and I just wanted to put it out there how much I appreciate him. :smile:

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Going to finally see this again tomorrow!! Can't wait, just me and my Boy taking in a quality flick at the showhouse for the afternoon, with tons of popcorn of course!! Hopefully this time I won't forget our Fozzie and Rowlf plushies to watch with us. :big_grin:

The Toy Story Toon was great too! :wink:

P.S. My own post reminded me to check an see if my signature link still works, it does!! Check this video of my Son as a baby, laughing with Rowlf!! Amazing. Makes me have happy tears. :smile:
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/9302795@N03/3427235397/