Disney Channel stars turning into singers

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I don't watch the Disney Channel as often as I once did frankly because now...it sucks! Phineas and Ferb are the only exception and I like that show. Anyway, I noticed a pattern among most of the stars on the Disney Channel shows, most of the young stars have turned from actors to singers within a matter of months. In my opinion, none of them are really good. Another example of TV going down the tubes.:concern:

Has anybody else noticed this pattern?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes, and quite frankly, it's a sad and sickening pattern, but no one has emphasized the pattern more than Miley "Hannah Montana" Cyrus.

Because Disney Channel is family-oriented, naturally, these shows that the stars are featured on have to be family-friendly as well, but the problem with most, if not all, family entertainment these days is that it's all sappy, watered-down, mindless crap (with the likes of SpongeBob as role models, no wonder there's a concern that American children keep getting dumber and dumber with each generation), and these stars are well aware of that... I had to watch an episode of Hannah Montana with my niece once, and it was terrible, doubled with Miley's lack-luster acting skills (she KNOWS the camera's there, and it shows in her performances), Miley's havingto be a squeaky-clean goody-two-shoes for these little girls who look up to her, when most girls her age aren't like that at all... you know she absolutely could not wait to get out from that squeaky-clean portrayal, and tarnish her image, remember her dressed as a stripper, pole dancing on that ice cream cart? Even while Hannah Montana was still popular, and still on the air? But then again, that's the problem with the media, women in general are depicted and accepted as sexy play things, so what would Miley rather do: humiliate herself by being on a nitty-gritty-little-kiddy show, or dignify herself by looking and acting like a hooker?

And look at Selena Gomez recently, she was in "rehab", and apparently had been slicing her wrists up.

ut, this is getting away from the original topic... yes, it's a pattern, mainly because Disney is a power-house in the music industry as well, and music is always such a key part of children'sentertainment (SST, anyone?): if any of these stars have "superstar" potential (again, like Miley), then they're going to "sell" 'em.

BTW, have any of you guys heard Miley's cover of Joan Jett's "Bad Reputation"? OMG, I never heard anything that sounded so off-key before in my life, even I could've done a better job, and I cannot sing to save myself (don't you just cringe when you hear Steve belt out tunes?)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't watch the Disney Channel as often as I once did frankly because now...it sucks! Phineas and Ferb are the only exception and I like that show. Anyway, I noticed a pattern among most of the stars on the Disney Channel shows, most of the young stars have turned from actors to singers within a matter of months. In my opinion, none of them are really good. Another example of TV going down the tubes.:concern:

Has anybody else noticed this pattern?
Where were you like 6 years ago? That's when they were really doing this stuff. Now they're still doing it, but it's lower key, and there's no merchandising of it because... well, the stuff kept getting cleared out at deep discount, I'm talking 90% off prices.

Disney's finally figured out what's important.. actual DISNEY stuff. You do not know how good it does my heart that they're marketing Phineas and Ferb stuff. I haven't seen them aggressively market a cartoon show since maybe the Disney Afternoon was around. Shame that Jakk's Pacific's line just uses the same character sculpts over and over, though... I'd be inclined to buy more of them if they didn't all look the same. Besides, I have the first Doof and Perry set...what more do I need?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know again I'm seeing a parallel with the past here. How in the '50s and early '60s the Rock n Roll pioneers were eventually deemed too inappropriate for youngsters and replaced with clean cut, squeeky clean carbon copy "singers" that made much of the music from that period downright painful to listen to.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know again I'm seeing a parallel with the past here. How in the '50s and early '60s the Rock n Roll pioneers were eventually deemed too inappropriate for youngsters and replaced with clean cut, squeeky clean carbon copy "singers" that made much of the music from that period downright painful to listen to.

The parallel would be much more apropos if it was a parallel to The Monkees. That's exactly what these things are, minus the charm and wit and talented ghost song writers.

It is EVERY intention that they cast people who "act" and "sing" because that way, they get to make money off both a Television series AND a pop star. It's brilliant as far as marketing goes.

I'm glad that they put a small element of that in Phineas and Ferb to get them to want to show a cartoon FINALLY on that network that wasn't a cheap TV EI series they can reuse on ABCKids. Somehow, I think Ashley Tinsdale does a MUCH better job here than any of the HSM's she was in.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The parallel would be much more apropos if it was a parallel to The Monkees. That's exactly what these things are, minus the charm and wit and talented ghost song writers.
Well there is the TV aspect yes. But the Monkees at least were good actors (don't laugh!) :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well there is the TV aspect yes. But the Monkees at least were good actors (don't laugh!) :wink:
Yeah, especially Mickey. He was Arthur in the first season of the Tick, among other things.

Plus, that show was just... it was just fantastic. it was like, you KNEW they were a prefabricated band, but it didn't matter. I'd say these Disney shows are more like those TERRIBLE Hanna Barbera cartoons about bands from the 70's... like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids, though to be their personal worst. But I can't abide the grown up Pebbles and Bamm Bamm either.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, especially Mickey. He was Arthur in the first season of the Tick, among other things.
Oh for sure, it's often said that more than any of the others, Mickey truly embodied what it was to be a Monkee (whatever that was, hehe).
Plus, that show was just... it was just fantastic. it was like, you KNEW they were a prefabricated band, but it didn't matter. I'd say these Disney shows are more like those TERRIBLE Hanna Barbera cartoons about bands from the 70's... like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids, though to be their personal worst. But I can't abide the grown up Pebbles and Bamm Bamm either.
Oooo that is a good comparison I think. With the Monkees you thought, "Well it's TV, we know we're being fooled a little anyway." And you knew it was always one of them doing at least the lead vocals. Whereas those '70s cartoons screamed "we put no effort into this whatsoever!" Now these Disney shows probably have bigger budgets, but not bigger thoughts. :wink:

Though, I have heard of Hannah Montana being compared to I Love Lucy, with Hannah being slightly screwy and dealing with crazy characters. I don't know what anyone else thinks about that...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I really fail to see what the problem with disney channel is. No, its not the channel it was 15 years ago, but neither are anout 90% of whats on tv. I dont get what is wrong with kids liking hannah montannah or any other show. Is she a bad actor? well, thats debatable. But its a childrens show aimed at 8 year olds. 8 year olds dont care about bad acting. Its an appropriate show for the age group. Now, would you rather let your kid watch south park instead or listen to rap about shooting, mugging, and prostituting?

I also fail to see how spongebob is a bad role model when you grew up with characters that were bad role models as well. I mean really, how is Zim a good role model? How is Heffier a good role model? How is Stimpy a good role model? Are you just bitter that spongebob has lasted so long and your precious invader zim didnt? Now, I wont deny spongebob has has declined in quality, but thats what happens when a show has been on for as long as it has been.

People beg and plead for shows like the 90s, but then have nothing but complaints saying its too much like X. They complain when a show comes out of cancellation because the new episodes suck. You cant please anyone! Imean, So Random on Disney is pretty much today's Amanda show. But its not the Amanda show so it sucks. And when a quality show does surface, its ignored and passed over for whatever reason. Yes, animation style is a turn off, but not everything in flash sucks. The animation might be shoddy, but if it has clever writing, whats the big deal?