Disney Channel stars turning into singers

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
8 year olds dont care about bad acting. Its an appropriate show for the age group. Now, would you rather let your kid watch south park instead
I'm sorry but I don't agree. 8 year olds certainly can recognize good quality (and bad quality). Much more often than adults in fact. We aren't doing kids any favors by underestimating them. And it doesn't make any sense. We're supposed to be preparing these kids to take over from us. We should be giving them the very best to learn from, not the lowest common denominator.

And South Park may have inappropriate language, but the lessons it teaches are ones I'd tell my kids any day. Certainly more than the lessons of Teen Disney over there (Where only the pretty teens matter!).

I do agree about Spongebob though, I thought he was a good role model (until the show jumped the shark, but that always happens, hehe).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I really fail to see what the problem with disney channel is. No, its not the channel it was 15 years ago, but neither are anout 90% of whats on tv. I dont get what is wrong with kids liking hannah montannah or any other show. Is she a bad actor? well, thats debatable. But its a childrens show aimed at 8 year olds. 8 year olds dont care about bad acting. Its an appropriate show for the age group.?
Sonia Manzano said in an interview: "Kids can really tell when something is fake and when something is not sincere, so if there's anything we have to be real for, it's a kid. I think it's easier to fool an adult."

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Fair enough. I dont know enough young children to be able to make an argument. (Though The few 8 year olds I have met have been very imature and even violent).

However, While I will aknowlege South Park does teach lessons, why do parents need to allow tv to teach their children for them? To me, it seems like something a parent should be talking about with their children. It encourages family bonding. With no parent intervention, kids seem more likely to turn out like hooligans (seen first hand with my cousins)

But I've derailed this thread enough...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
However, While I will aknowlege South Park does teach lessons, why do parents need to allow tv to teach their children for them? To me, it seems like something a parent should be talking about with their children. It encourages family bonding. With no parent intervention, kids seem more likely to turn out like hooligans (seen first hand with my cousins)
Oh I agree, I don't mean sitting them in front of the TV and letting them learn it all on their own. Parents should be the primary source for learning and bonding. But arts and literature are there in society to inspire and teach us, so parents would be wise to make use of such things occasionally, especially since none of us know it all. Plus showing our kids the kinds of art we like demonstrates the values we hold dear.

But I've derailed this thread enough...
Oh no I don't think it's derailed, it's very on topic. :smile:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I agree. I dont really have anything else to add to that.

( PS. I was actually thinking more along the graphic violence in south park when I originally used it as an example...parents need to make sure their child understands whats fake and whats not was was I was originally intending. I also apologize for maybe being a bit too strong with the rant. I was in a really bad mood earlier, but since I've eaten I've calmed down XD)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sarge, I wasn't holding up an example of SpongeBob as a bad role model as a role model in general, I was holding that as an example of just how much children's entertainment has deteriorated over the years... Heffer, Zim, Stimpy, etc, they all came from shows that were SMART, well-written, clever, and allowed for a good time for both the kidides and the adults watching as well, but SpongeBob on the other hand, that is an example of just how completely and utterly stupid most kiddie shows are today, and yet, everybody just worshipped SpongeBob like he was a god of our times.

That's not to say there haven;t been shows int he past that weren't equally as stupid... heck, even some live-action sitcoms of the 60s were in that same ship like Hogan's Heroes or Green Acres (which was still genuinely funny, but very outlandish, even for live-action), but of course, that was back when everything on television was suitable for all ages, there was no need, back then,for this great divide of children's entertainment and adult-only entertainment, and let's face it, neither of it, for the most part, is good anymore: children's entertainment is mostly idiotic characters doing idiotic things for a quick laugh, whereas adult entertainment is let's see how many characters we can get to sleep with each other as we can.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
( PS. I was actually thinking more along the graphic violence in south park when I originally used it as an example...parents need to make sure their child understands whats fake and whats not was was I was originally intending. I also apologize for maybe being a bit too strong with the rant. I was in a really bad mood earlier, but since I've eaten I've calmed down XD)
It's OK, I've had a hard couple of weeks too. Yes I do think it's the parents' job to explain these things. My parents didn't really limit the shows I watched, however they did make it clear what I could and could not repeat in school! :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
yet, everybody just worshipped SpongeBob like he was a god of our times.
Because he was, man he was! : D

Lol, sorry. My ex didn't like Spongebob either. But I couldn't understand why since I didn't think Spongebob's humor was all that different from previous shows we had liked. I think it was the just character itself that rubbed some people the wrong way. Much like he did on the actual TV show!

Drtooth

Reaction score
People beg and plead for shows like the 90s, but then have nothing but complaints saying its too much like X. They complain when a show comes out of cancellation because the new episodes suck. You cant please anyone! Imean, So Random on Disney is pretty much today's Amanda show. But its not the Amanda show so it sucks. And when a quality show does surface, its ignored and passed over for whatever reason. Yes, animation style is a turn off, but not everything in flash sucks. The animation might be shoddy, but if it has clever writing, whats the big deal?
As an animation fan, I'm ALWAYS looking for new cartoons. In fact, I always complain that everyone else complains that Animaniacs, Invader Zim and Batman TAS aren't reran on an infinite loop. I mean, I'm HUGE into Phineas and Ferb, Regular Show, pretty big on Adventure Time, Gumball's been enjoyable... And Mad can really be brilliant at times. It's just these live action shows are very little else than money making. The writing isn't there, the acting isn't there... they feel like bad 1980's family sitcoms, and offer nothing new from them. I mean, below Facts of Life quality. But the onl;y thing that matters is that kids like it and it makes money.

My problem isn't the shows themselves, the stars or the popularity... but the over-saturation of these shows, you know, back in the heckish 2005-2009 period. They were LITERALLY the only thing Disney cared about. And I'm not saying it as a Muppet fan jilted by their halfbaked 2005 plans... I'm saying it as a general Disney fan that likes Disney movies, Disney's animated TV shows... Disney characters... etc. And to make matters worse, all the other kid's networks jumped on the idiotic tweencom bandwagon. I mean, did ANYONE watch any of the live action programming on CN? I hear nothing but death threats when it comes to them. And Out of Jimmy's Head was a Titanic failure. Literally... it crashed the network into an ice berg, and it started sinking fast.

But that seems to have passed, glacier slow, but it passed.

Now, as for the role model segment... I think it ties in here. The fact that these parents and >12 year old girls are making Miley and Selena role models IS going to hurt these gal's careers in the long run. While I can't applaud their acting, I applaud Miley's decision to move forward and have a career. No one should have ONE show and one character pull them down. That's a very depressing bit of Hollywood, when you do something SO famous, you're only known for that. Bella Lugosi, Adam West, Carrie Fisher... all were so famous for one thing, that it ruined their careers. I'm not any one of these people's biggest fan, but I'd hate for them to become the standard child actor sad sacks. Sure, we all love Neil Patrick Harris, and he's immensely talented, but his story is the exception to the rule... and he wouldn't have been big without his cameo in those White Castle movies (which lead to How I met Your Mother, which lead to this and that...). No one wants to see another Gary Coleman case. And these parental groups and tweenagers who embraced Hanna Montana are chastising Miley for WANTING an acting career outside of it. That's not fair on any level.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No one should have ONE show and one character pull them down. That's a very depressing bit of Hollywood, when you do something SO famous, you're only known for that. Bella Lugosi, Adam West, Carrie Fisher... all were so famous for one thing, that it ruined their careers.
Well in the past it's true that type casting was rampant and it was definitely unfair to many actors. But at the same time you know, acting is a job just like any other job, and it will have its ups and downs. People shouldn't be ashamed or depressed, especially if it was largely out of their power. At least they had that one major success, many actors never will.