Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Luke

Reaction score
Actually...I appologuise for my momentary outburst...on further reflection, the fact they are not "shoehorning" in the Gorgs but reflecting on them means that the film is being story-driven...and they, in theory, are not vital for that story. Which means that care is being taken, which makes me happy...But I am still a fan of the Gorg's...especially since most everything that those parents say should be labled in our "cheeky Muppet moments" thread.

As for Trashheap...She could just be on vacation in the real world.
LOL at the momentary outburst. Second to latest Henson podcast. Grant asks him if there will be Gorgs, he's like ummmm ummmm well, we are trying to fit them in somewhere. I am guessing this is because if the majority of the story is happening in the "real world" they would be building the incredibly complex Gorg full body puppets and the Gorg set for maybe just one scene. But then again, it is a movie, they should have the budget as the characters are such a big part of the show.

I think Edwards is brilliant though, i'm sure he will fit some nice fan elements in - he seems very focused on Fraggles outisde tho, rather than being in the Rock - he seems to have some kind of special Doozer plan which might suggest they won't be in the Rock either. I am also thinking Trash Heap should be found whilst wandering the tough American streets lol, being their oracle figure. Come to think of it, i think the Matrix movies ripped her off! :eek:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Regarding the Gorgs, the only way I can see it working is if they're used as "bookends" at the beginning and/or end. Like if the Fraggles had to get something from Outer Space for the Gorgs, or to stop them (depending on what their relationship is in this film lol).

Super Scooter

Reaction score
It's almost frightening to think what Junior would be like without Richard Hunt. But, it would be too easy just to leave the Gorgs out to avoid the recast. As much as a "new" Junior would worry me, leaving him out would be such a shame.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yea I mean if they just made him a bumbling idiot that definitley wouldn't ring true.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yea I mean if they just made him a bumbling idiot that definitley wouldn't ring true.
Agreed...He was much more than that. I'm not sure what exactly...but he sure was. Remember when he planted that tree thinking he could grow a bride?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Agreed...He was much more than that. I'm not sure what exactly...but he sure was.
Lol, yeah exactly... :smile:

Remember when he planted that tree thinking he could grow a bride?
Yup, I like that song because it showcased a major theme of his character, how desperately lonely he is. Of course that plotline was largely settled in the show. Personally I would have preferred a movie that continued the storyline of the series, but I understand how they need to introduce kids to the show first.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I can see a Junior Gorg running gag of him chasing after the fraggles the entire movie (kind of like Sweetums in the Muppet Movie, but much, much bigger). :coy:

Luke

Reaction score
Regarding the Gorgs, the only way I can see it working is if they're used as "bookends" at the beginning and/or end. Like if the Fraggles had to get something from Outer Space for the Gorgs, or to stop them (depending on what their relationship is in this film lol).
I agree that would be a good way to utilise them., and if it was just quick scenes where they just got chased or something they could even just re-use Richards audio for Junior.

I don't think a story where both Gorgs and Fraggles in "outer space" against each other would have worked, and from sounds of it they definitely haven't gone that way.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think there will be a strong story, and some element of an ultimate "message" but i just don't see it being focused on as strongly as the series. The writer is already storyboarding action scenes, lol.

.... and from sounds of it they definitely haven't gone that way.

I think Edwards is brilliant though, i'm sure he will fit some nice fan elements in - he seems very focused on Fraggles outisde tho, rather than being in the Rock - he seems to have some kind of special Doozer plan which might suggest they won't be in the Rock either.
Meh, just becuase the writer is doing what he is doing and putting action first and characters 2nd does not nessary mean his way of scripting is what is best for the movie. True, it might get made, but that is no sure bet it will be a better movie for all the refocusing, or even do well...

I'm sorry to be a Boober about this but if they act so much like the rock and the message don't matter they may very why shoot themselves in the foot and not get kids to really care about the fraggles as will as push aside old school fans that know them by heart and don't need the 'this is a fraggle, and this is the magical world they come from a why what how they view the world is one of a kind, and the reason they think humans are silly' details explained to them, but may find the characters they grew up with over simplified and 'hipped' in order for kids to 'get them'

. But because of that skipping of the rock and the magic of it that fans know (that are'nt just fan elements, but needed elements IMHO) it for, because the more focus on the character parts is skipped in favorite of story and action, kids might not get a chance to truly meet and understand and care about Fraggles, though no fault of the core fraggle elements, but rather, for lack of them.

The writers being so frightened that little ones will be bored and not spend their money has ruined more than a few good movies I can think of...

And I am not rooting for this movie to be bad at all (I don't think that every semi-bad comment on the subject should ever be seen that way :smile:) , I am just more than a bit cautious about FR going from a mostly character driven series to a story driven movie...True you could get an 'okay to watch on a rainy day as a babysitter while momma takes a nap' movie that is just okay-ish and just makes enough at the movies to be called a great success (it seems like every movie that does even a little bit well gets the #1 ____ movie of the year label) but I dunno...I'm still hoping for a little bit more, and will hold onto that hope :smile:.
Still...Watching Muppet's Family Christmas I do think that Doc is the one human who can be concidered a Muppet...while Captain was an actor on a children's show playing a part.
I agree, and for that reason I call our Doc the main one, it's not because I don't think the other Doc's were never around, it's because of all the Doc's ours was a part of the family of the muppets at the time :smile:.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think it would be great to use Gerry Parks as the Fraggle Rock Movie's main Doc, but have all the other international "Doc" characters briefly woven into the story along the way. I can see the main Sproket being mistaken for each "Doc's" Sproket and steal their treats and spoils along the way. I don't know. Just an idea in my head. Something like that will keep the international box office's happy. I can at least see a few key cameos from them.