Does anybody think you're weird for watching Sesame Street?

Redsonga

Reaction score
But apparently, nobody watched it, and it got taken off.
Well, it's not like no one watched it, it's just that more of us that would have watched it don't get Noggin to began with :stick_out_tongue:

Anyway I actually think shows like Dora and BLue are for children younger than Sesame Street watchers (or at least younger than the target viewers of the 80's-early 90's seasons to me).
I don't know what it is but I always feel like many of the new shows for little ones sound like they are talking down to them. Even if SS is about simple letters and numbers it also has this depth with other issues that I don't think many new shows would touch with a ten foot pole...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, it's not like no one watched it, it's just that more of us that would have watched it don't get Noggin to began with :stick_out_tongue:
For sure, I wish I had had Noggin back then. I also think when they reruns shows so much companies eventually decide enough is enough.

I don't know what it is but I always feel like many of the new shows for little ones sound like they are talking down to them. Even if SS is about simple letters and numbers it also has this depth with other issues...
How true that is, we've talked about it many times on the board. There seems to be this movement with child experts and schools and even TV nowadays to protect children and keep them in a safe little bubble. Never expose them to adult topics or culture, or challenge them in anyway, lest they get "confused" or feel bad. No wonder how educational system is at the bottom. Nothing good will come of this. Children may be young, but they are not stupid.

I'm reminded of a quote from Roosevelt Franklin, "I am not old...but I am wise." Sesame Street and others in our society need to learn that lesson about children again.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I was raised in a very protective home but even my ma did not think anything about SS and other shows talking about issues and having troubles...
I wonder if that is why they never show Mr. Rogers anymore?
No wonder so many little kids are rebeling so early now, so many shows are'nt helping them deal with (or even saying that they have) bad feelings and emotions :\

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Okay, I have to say I'm a little against the first part of what you said. If you feel that way, then why are you here? I have dealt with a lot of people who have said that, and I don't have any respect for them at all. This is a message board for people who love Sesame Street.
You misunderstood what Jeff said. You thought he was passing a value judgment against you, but he was really saying he can understand why others would. There's a difference.

FatBlueMuppet

Reaction score
:wisdom:I started watching SS when I was about 3 and stopped when I was probably 7. Then watched it again from the time I was 9 till I was 10. Altogether I thought it was a good show for kids and older kids. Since they did have skits like the Continent song, and other things that only older kids would have understood.:wisdom:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Say wah? It's funny what taboos stick and which ones don't. With that same mentality grown men watching football wearing a particular player's number and waving a foam finger is friggin' weird, juvenile and not all that masculine when seen through my eyes. But hey - to each his, her or whatever's own. :concern:
I always say this: how come dressing up as Naruto or Spiderman for a convention or something qualifies you as a weirdo loser, but dressing up as Miss Piggy, or going shirtless in 20 below weather with letters painted on your fat stomache is a sign of healthy growth and developement?

In my experience those who claim distaste for Muppets or cartoons are generally unhappy people without many friends. Joy and laugher are my antidepressants and I use them everyday. But, whatever works for them as long as it doesn’t bring gloom to my doorway. :grouchy: My world tends to be more colorful than most and many times that color takes on a Muppety hue.
hey! I'm a generally unhappey guy without too many friends, and I LOVES me muppets and cartoons. :coy: I exaggerate, of course, but I'm quite a bit darker than my tastes and cartooning style let on.

sesameguy

Reaction score
I was raised in a very protective home but even my ma did not think anything about SS and other shows talking about issues and having troubles...
I wonder if that is why they never show Mr. Rogers anymore?
While no TV show can solve all of a child's problems, at least shows like these can point us in the right direction. Once in a while, I think it's OK for shows to talk about the big issues that may be concerning kids. Not every Sesame St. episode talked about "death" or "marriage," but a few did. Unfortunately, today, subjects like these are rarely part of children's TV programming.

But as for Mr. Rogers, I don't think his show is being dropped from many stations just because they don't like his views. I think they're just trying to get new material out there. That's unfortunate, because I like his shows! I'm hoping someday in the future we'll be able to "download" all the episodes we want from him, so we can show them to our kids, and their kids, etc.

Redsonga

Reaction score
While no TV show can solve all of a child's problems, at least shows like these can point us in the right direction. Once in a while, I think it's OK for shows to talk about the big issues that may be concerning kids. Not every Sesame St. episode talked about "death" or "marriage," but a few did. Unfortunately, today, subjects like these are rarely part of children's TV programming.

But as for Mr. Rogers, I don't think his show is being dropped from many stations just because they don't like his views. I think they're just trying to get new material out there. That's unfortunate, because I like his shows! I'm hoping someday in the future we'll be able to "download" all the episodes we want from him, so we can show them to our kids, and their kids, etc.
It's not even things like death I'm talking about. Even smaller things, like being mad, are not being focused on anymore by many shows :stick_out_tongue:.

sesameguy

Reaction score
It's not even things like death I'm talking about. Even smaller things, like being mad, are not being focused on anymore by many shows :stick_out_tongue:.
True! We really do need another "Mr. Rogers" who can talk to kids about angry feelings as well as happy ones. I think even Sesame Street is guilty of often ignoring these things.

Redsonga

Reaction score
True! We really do need another "Mr. Rogers" who can talk to kids about angry feelings as well as happy ones. I think even Sesame Street is guilty of often ignoring these things.
And madness, fear etc are such basic human emotions that you have all your life that bottling them up is never good, most of all when you are young....

But lack of things like characters facing real villains in 'little kids' shows and cartoons are another rant I could go on for hours :coy:

Anyway, I think SS, at least the older episodes, help us vent and relax even more as adults :smile:. It is a lot better than going crazy and being a news story :scary: