The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The reason personality changes irk me is because changing personality means one is changing the basic qualities and traits that made that character--or set of characters--in the first place!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What do you mean "inferior" Paramount? Full screen is what you want, widescreen is the format that sucks! Those black bars are so irritating, plus they're what cut out 25% of your picture, not the sides of your TV. Trust me, I've compared widescreen pictures with full screen pictures... it's basically the full screen picture with a black bar overlapping the top of the picture, and a black bar overlapping the bottom part of the picture.
Not really true at all. The Chipmunks' film in its cropped version has weird scanning and tracing moments because it was shot wider than the 1.33:1 aspect ratio. You are correct that some modern full frame shows are being remasked for widescreen television technology, but that's not the case with film. However, I'm not going to argue with that. Already got all I had to say on widescreen vs cropped films in a Muppet Central article years ago. :zany:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Either way, this discussion of film is going off the topic of the 'munks return...:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
What do you mean "inferior" Paramount? Full screen is what you want, widescreen is the format that sucks! Those black bars are so irritating, plus they're what cut out 25% of your picture, not the sides of your TV. Trust me, I've compared widescreen pictures with full screen pictures... it's basically the full screen picture with a black bar overlapping the top of the picture, and a black bar overlapping the bottom part of the picture.

We can find a compromise. TV is full frame, movies should be released ONLY in widescreen (if they were filmed that way). What really bugs me is when a full frame movie has Widescreen things like opening credits, and various portions of the movie where they need the full frame (like that thing when the screen is segmented into 2 parts or more). So I say, what's the point of formatting it, if you have to show half of it in FF anyway.

I still think all films should come with both versions of the film. But that's just me.

I just don't see it "bombing" but it is a lack-luster period for movies. I'm not going to have a knee-jerk reaction just yet. There are definitely some things that I don't favor, but sometimes films can rise above that. The fact that its very nature of a big screen live action CG film won't please most purists. I'm giving this one a chance.

Slow box office aside, there isn't much family film competition this Christmas season. Enchanted has been out for a while, Bee Movie has faded into oblivion, Golden Compass proved too controversial and is likely soon to be forgotten. This Christmas parents will have the choice Chipmunks or Waterhorse. I think the fuzzy, cuddly will win out. And then there's the new Veggie Tales movie in January (comment on that witheld). I can see Enchanted getting a second wind, but I think this Christmas will belong to Alvin. - For better or for worse.
I havbe the utmost confidence this will either bomb, or at least open poorly. Compass is a high rated film, but it's not getting the money they thought it would, while I'm guessing kids would rather see that drek National Treasure film. At least it has a new Goofy cartoon in front of it. I'd clearly see Alvin is I'm guaranteed to be able to sneak into either just to see that cartoon. (it's a How to film too. The best of the Goofys, IMO).

Though, to bee fair, Bee movie was released the first day of November. In fact, I would have caught it ealier, but I blew my money cash seeing the NBX 3-D film. Money well spent.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Bee Movie... now there's a good movie! One of the best movies (not just animated, but movie in general) I've seen in a while, not to mention that DreamWork's Animation finally has a non-Shrek movie that's worth seeing! Hated SharkTale, I found Madagascar to be a snooze-fest (except for the penguins, of course), I don't even consider Wallace and Gromit's Curse of the Wererabbit a DreamWork's movie since it's Aardman who did all that, and while Over the Hedge was pretty good, I wouldn't want to watch it all the time.

Just my half cent worth.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, for me, CGI is ruled by Pixar.
There is something magic - not just about the CG, but the characters, the storytelling, the look and texture of a Pixar film that lets the viewer know it's a quality work of art. Other companies have had good attempts, but no clear direction. Shrek the Third was all over the place as was Bee Movie. That just made me restless. Pixar is more than their technology, and that's not just a formula or equation - it's the people and artists. :smile:

I've been reading some early reviews of Chipmunks over at Rotten Tomatoes. Seems that this one is for the kids, but doesn't reach the depths of the Garfield live action films. That's the early word on it. I'll say again that there's so little choice in films that either it will do well or audiences will just stay home and watch videos. I suggest the Chipmunk Adventure movie - or how about a classic episode of Ducktales or the Gummi Bears? I've been watching those again lately and marvel at the level of animation and storytelling that's missing in much of modern television animation. :embarrassed:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
There really isn't any way I can see anyone persuading me to see this movie. I loved the Chipmunks as a little kid and I recently saw The Chipmunk Adventure for the first time in years and the trailers for this new movie only make me angry and sad. It's like someone threw a little part of my childhood to the garbage to let it rot.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
That's what's been happening with most "remakes" as of late.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what's been happening with most "remakes" as of late.
And it's not just movies either. Tv series too. The new George of the Jungle series looks outlandishly terrible, and it has nothing to do with the original show or even the movies.

However, i find the TMNT new series and movie just wonderful. But that's more of a relaunch than a remake. I am so glad they didn't just create an inferior copy of the old series and decided to make it more comic oriented.