The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
At least with Garfield they got a tiny aspect of it right. And I applaud Bill Murray's vocal usage for the Cat. That's the only thing I can applaud, though.

I don't know why Hollywood keeps remaking cartoons, since every single one of them was a flop, except the first Flintstones. Though Popeye is an underappreciated film, IMO.
I always enjoyed the CG model of the live action Garfield films. They say it cost 40 million dollars for just the cat! It was a good mix, but if you look carefully at the model there are some issues (geometry, contact, over blurring and obscuring). I just thought the films had no real story, bad writing and nothing new to bring to the character or franchise.

The Chipmunk characters visually look good, there are some cute scenes (and a few unfortunate ones) but ultimately – there’s so little competition this Christmas and unless the little fuzzy guys threaten to kill god or Santa Clause in the film I think it’s going to be a healthy-sized hit. I could be wrong.

I think this will be the beginning of more Chipmunk stuff to come. They’ve already invested in the CG models. Unless the film totally bombs expect more of them. :embarrassed:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The film should bomb, because not only did it redub voices--which is a character no-no, especially for timeless icons--but it also added in MTV-style humor which was not needed in the slightest. For me, all this film did was show that the 'munks should remain in semi-retirement, because this "remake" is a spat on their legacy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I will say, I think that if they Did a Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers film in the exact style they're going for here, it could work. If they stick to the original version.

Mainly because the freaking chipmunks look more like Chip and Dale than Alvin Simon and Theodore.

Of course, had it been up to me, I'd just rerelease the Chipmunks Adventure film. I never seen it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The film should bomb, because not only did it redub voices--which is a character no-no, especially for timeless icons--but it also added in MTV-style humor which was not needed in the slightest. For me, all this film did was show that the 'munks should remain in semi-retirement, because this "remake" is a spat on their legacy.
I just don't see it "bombing" but it is a lack-luster period for movies. I'm not going to have a knee-jerk reaction just yet. There are definitely some things that I don't favor, but sometimes films can rise above that. The fact that its very nature of a big screen live action CG film won't please most purists. I'm giving this one a chance.

Slow box office aside, there isn't much family film competition this Christmas season. Enchanted has been out for a while, Bee Movie has faded into oblivion, Golden Compass proved too controversial and is likely soon to be forgotten. This Christmas parents will have the choice Chipmunks or Waterhorse. I think the fuzzy, cuddly will win out. And then there's the new Veggie Tales movie in January (comment on that witheld). I can see Enchanted getting a second wind, but I think this Christmas will belong to Alvin. :wink: - For better or for worse.

By the way, the Chipmunk's Adventure film was really good.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
It is a good film and beautifully animated! I wish more films would look like it. :excited:
It shows real heart and craftsmanship, and so yes, I too would like to see many films look like that film.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Amazon has Alvin and the Chipmunks - The Chipmunk Adventure but only in "full frame" darn inferior Paramount. :smirk:
What do you mean "inferior" Paramount? Full screen is what you want, widescreen is the format that sucks! Those black bars are so irritating, plus they're what cut out 25% of your picture, not the sides of your TV. Trust me, I've compared widescreen pictures with full screen pictures... it's basically the full screen picture with a black bar overlapping the top of the picture, and a black bar overlapping the bottom part of the picture.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The movie only disappoints me in that it changes character personalities. The CGI live-action look I could overlook if the characters were accurately portrayed like their original selves, but...Noooo!

They had to make all three of them act like Alvin, and seeing smart Simon act perverted is...*in Red Fraggle voice*...just wrong!

Teheheman

Reaction score
Have you seen previews that don't fit the full frame screen? the ones that haven't been formatted for the TV? They have an annoying black box AROUND the thing. It looks smaller. I'd rather have the widescreen myself, but that's just me.

Daniel