The Food Thread (Non Instagram Edition)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I love McDonald's Snack Wraps, French Fries, Big Macs and McNuggets.
I
Five Guys is good too.

Has anyone ever tried Dairy Queen?
Not so much the food, but Dairy Queen has been around forever. One near me is an outdoor stand that’s open year round, even in the dead of winter.
I loved their Misty floats. Cherry slush topped with vanilla soft serve. Guaranteed brain freeze or your money back. 🥶

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Five Guys is okay, but they always give you waaay too many fries with your order . . . it's more like you get fries with a side of burger, because you end up with a mountain of fries compared to the burger.

Never really bothered trying DQ, and they're gone from my town as well too. Come to think of it, here are all the chains that have abandoned my town over the years:
- Dunkin' Donuts (but they did eventually comeback)
- Baskin-Robbins
- Marble Slab
- Ryan's
- Long John Silver's
- Jet's Pizza
- Dairy Queen

And now it appears Hardee's and Chick-fil-a are leaving town as well.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Speaking of baskin Robbins, god I haven’t had their ice cream in a long time. I don’t even know if the one closest to my old house is still open or not.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys hate KFC, but I will say, I think it's one of those places where I think it depends on the specific store location that determines what you'll end up getting.

For example, there's two KFC stores close to wear I live: one's basically down the road from my neighborhood, and the other is a few miles away by a Walmart.

The one by the Walmart is actually really good in terms of both food and service, but the one down the road from me is crap: the staff is mostly high schoolers who can't tell white meat from dark, and don't know that a dozen is twelve . . . then again, that's actually the main problem with all of the fast food joints down this particular main drag in my neighborhood - there's a high school just up the hill from me, so of course, all of these fast food joints employee these high schoolers, who could care less about the jobs they're doing, and believe me, we have a string of them down through here: McDonald's Sonic, Wendy's KFC, Burger King, and Subway.
That’s the way it’s always been. Fast food usually means cheap labor, and there’s never been a shortage of kids to do the job. Only a shortage of kids who do the job WELL.
But management doesn’t mind. They know if you quit, they can hire someone else like you in no time.
It’s not a long term relationship, but I wished it worked out better in Fast Food Land.
They pay you just enough so you don’t quit.
You work just enough so they don’t fire you.

I can see this might not go over big, but so be it.
For fast food joints, $15 minimum wage will not work. Sounds good on paper, but in reality fall flat.
Suppose you manage a burger joint. With average sales coming in, you can afford to hire twenty kids at $8.00 an hour.
The profit margin at a fast food joint is 2%.
For every hundred dollars ofsales, there’s 98 dollars in expenses.
So if you raise the minimum wage to $15, that’s going to eat up your two dollar profit.
You’re either going to need to sell ten times more burgers, or, more likely, let a number of kids go. And with a smaller crew, the kids that are left will have more work to do.
And once the profit is gone, and you’re running a business at a loss, the doors close.

That’s the reality of running a business. It’s a hard line to walk even under the best of circumstances. The only other option would be to raisetheir prices.
And then customers wonder why the Dollar Menu doesn’t exist anymore.

Any Del

Reaction score
So THAT explains why the Dollar Menu don't exist anymore! Thanks for the clarification @fuzzygobo!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys hate KFC, but I will say, I think it's one of those places where I think it depends on the specific store location that determines what you'll end up getting.

For example, there's two KFC stores close to wear I live: one's basically down the road from my neighborhood, and the other is a few miles away by a Walmart.

The one by the Walmart is actually really good in terms of both food and service, but the one down the road from me is crap: the staff is mostly high schoolers who can't tell white meat from dark, and don't know that a dozen is twelve . . . then again, that's actually the main problem with all of the fast food joints down this particular main drag in my neighborhood - there's a high school just up the hill from me, so of course, all of these fast food joints employee these high schoolers, who could care less about the jobs they're doing, and believe me, we have a string of them down through here: McDonald's Sonic, Wendy's KFC, Burger King, and Subway.
I still like KFC. There was an urban legend years ago, that KFC doesn’t serve chicken, but these mutants born without beaks.
Good story, but that’s all it is. KFC gets its chicken from Tyson, not some mutant lab.

And the chicken isn’t actually fried, it’s pressure cooked. That keeps it from drying out.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Much like how people claim that tilapia is fake fish that's farmed without bones and stuff.