New Sesame Street movie in development with Warner Bros.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Because everybody wants to avoid that dreaded G rating; nobody will want to go out and see a movie that's G-rated.

I wonder about that too. Nearly every animated movie is PG-RATED these days. I can't help but wonder why they've done away with the G rating.

DatH

Reaction score
Wasn't the G rating just "General Audiences?" Meaning it wasn't necessarily for children, like say, nature shows that can still show bits of death. Or informative talks and studies?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The G rating basically means any and every one can watch, without having to worry about the content or anything that could be distressful or traumatic for younger audiences (though, that isn't always the case, entirely, if older Disney movies, or even Don Bluth movies are any indication of that).

The problem is, as we've discussed on this very forum many times before in the past, the G rating has become stigmatized over the years: it's become a dread for cinema, because a movie with a G rating is automatically a "kiddy" movie, and parents don't want to drag their kicking and screaming kids to a movie that they don't want to have to sit through themselves. More often than not now, movies that should be rated G without question now opt for a PG rating, because it infers that there's a little bit of somewhat edgy, risque, or tongue-in-cheek content for the parents to enjoy, while also making the kids feel like they're mature enough to see a more "grown-up" movie with their parents - even if it's just a mild swear word, or a subtle joke that goes over the kids heads.

In other words, a G rating isn't marketable anymore because of the negative stigma it's earned.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I get Doug's frustration over the ratings thing. Speaking frankly, once I reached the age where age restrictions no longer mattered, I stopped paying attention to ratings.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've seen certain movies as an adult that, to me, makes me wonder why they were even rated R to begin with. Like MY COUSIN VINNY, for example: despite the movie being about a murder trial (and yes, we see victim), and of course Joe Pesci's usual potty mouth, I really don't see much in the way of why this movie needed an R rating: there's hardly any sexual content, excessive violence, or other such content that would normally garner such a rating for a movie . . . and heck, many law school actually use this movie as a study guide for students on what and what not do to in court systems.

On the other hand, it is a long movie, and it isn't necessarily something the average moviegoer would probably want to see, so that may actually play a factor . . . maybe this isn't true or not, but I mean I have heard that in older days, a movie could receive an R rating simply for being "too long" for average moviegoers.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
What characters do you guys think will play a role in the movie ?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
**** gavry, that's cold.

But, I imagine most of the main characters will appear, as they pretty much all feature prominently on the show/in promo stuff. That is, aside from Telly, Baby Bear, and Snuffy (if you even count them as main characters anymore).