Sesame Workshop Sues STX Films over Happytime Murders Trailer

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is why I can see both sides of the arguments, and I do think that SW's concerns are actually justifiable for this very reason: this could very well be like SAUSAGE PARTY, where unsuspecting parents take their kids to what they assume is going to be a kid-friendly movie. A puppet movie with the word "Sesame" plastered on the ads, trailers, promos, and what have you? Yeah, I can easily see the mass public making that mistake . . . already, I see people who aren't as familiar with the properties as us Muppet fans are saying things like, "How can Disney make a filthy Muppet movie like that?!" Or, "How can Jim Henson's kids tarnish the legacy he left behind with Sesame Street?!"

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
It's a very similar situation where Ryan Reynolds had to tell parents to not take thier children to see DEADPOOL as it was R rated

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
It's parents not paying attention to movie ratings

its the same people who are appalled by call of duty and scream at the cashiers for selling them that sort of game despite it being clearly rated M.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Wahhh mah babeh wuz exposed 2 dis violent game!!!1111!!!! I want it gone NAOW!!!!1111!!! WAAAHHHH!!!!!11!!!

gravy

Reaction score
Wahhh mah babeh wuz exposed 2 dis violent game!!!1111!!!! I want it gone NAOW!!!!1111!!! WAAAHHHH!!!!!11!!!
It's funny because this reminded me of a comment that was mentioned in the lawsuit:

''Now, PLEASE, Sesame Street, find a way to ensure that the
wretched, raunchy, inappropriate movie coming out with Melissa McCarthy and Muppets in Rated X situations NEVER makes it in theatres. It should be illegal!''

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I just saw an ad for this on a YouTube vid and can definitely understand SW's concern over it; the "No Sesame, all Street" thing was focal point of the trailer (being splashed over the screen), and with how similar the puppets look to SS, it doesn't shock me they expressed concern over it. On one hand, they're saying "This isn't Sesame Street", but on the other, they're bringing undue attention to it - I think the judge's ruling was correct. SW should've been more cool about it, but everything is a business at the end of the day, so I understand them not wanting it to taint their brand.

I didn't even know this was a Brian Henson film with Muppeteers; it's like him taking his dad's vision of Sex & Violence one step further.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if there would have been a lawsuit if The Jim Henson Company never sold the rights to the Sesame Street Muppets to Sesame Workshop. Though Sesame Workshop would have still owned the rights to the Sesame Street name.