What sketches scared you as a kid?

Whatever

Reaction score
I can't remember being ever scared by the Muppets. Apparently most of the scary segments were on before I was born in 1984 LOL! :concern:

Censored

Reaction score
Whatever said:
I can't remember being ever scared by the Muppets. Apparently most of the scary segments were on before I was born in 1984 LOL! :concern:

Either that or you just weren't as neurotic as the rest of us. LOL

Oliver

Reaction score
Zoot said:
LOLOLOL THAT's A RIOT. Dr Tooth

My little brother had a big bird that played tapes, and when you bought the formatted tapes he would read you a story...and his mouth would move along with the words on the tape.
If it was an unformatted tape, though, his mouth would move sporatically. That was in 89.
We found that toy about 6 years later and it still worked... My baby sister was about a year old and my brother was nine...we got the biggest kick out of putting different tapes into big bird(most none to wholesome) and watching my baby sister regard big bird's new songs with a very confused and unappreciative look on her face. She did that big bird in eventually...she pushed it down the stairs in the walker. (this was a punishment dolled out to a lot of her stuffed animals)

hahaha I had that same toy when I was little and used to put Guns N Roses cassettes in his deck and laugh for hours. I was probably 8 years old at the time. One night though, Big Bird had a story book cassette in him and all of a sudden as I was fast asleep in bed, I heard Big Bird's nasal voice speaking to me in the dark. At first I was a little dazed from just coming out of sleep and didn't really make the connection, but as I came into consciousness and realised my Big Bird was sitting in a pitch black corner of my room talking to me while I slept, I burst out yelling and shrieking for my mom and went flying under the covers, shaking with fear. My mom had to calm me down and sit with me for almost an hour as I fell back asleep and the next day I took the Big Bird toy out from my mom's room where she took it after the event of the prior night, and with my friend we smashed Big Bird with hockey sticks until he broke into a hundred pieces and than shot it under a couch in my living room. I never wanted to see another bIg Bird doll again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
ACK... that's just bad....

Anyway, I never did like the Spanish version of the 11 on a black board skit... it's just so random that it was spanish....

nica

Reaction score
scary skit

the scariest skit to me was the one where the count slept over at ernie and bert's and kept ernie up all night counting. the next morning ernie's eyes were all freaky.

clipjj27

Reaction score
A couple of things that 'freaked me out' as a young viewer:

1. The clip featuring a man's face changing shape. It's a cartoon, and everytime his nose or other facial features would change, it would be accompanied by a creaky door sound. Shivers up my spine, brrr!

2. Batman and Robin segments - two I remember feature someone using a handkerchief to clean a dirty window and Batman throwing a boomerang through a window. I think there was also a third one which started out showing Joker or Penguin running out of some building, but I'm not too sure.

Even at the age of 32, remembering things like these still gives me the creeps and makes my stomach want to do a somersault.

Jennifer said:
When I browse Dejanews, I find this a favorite topic on the alt.tv.sesame-street group: What sketches/cartoons/skits scared you as a kid?

The only ones I can clearly remember frightening me were as follows. There was a counting cartoon with bugs. It started off on a blank yellow screen with a weird clicking sound. Then a rather ugly bug crawls on screen, then three more, counted off by the announcer until we have "five cute little bugs." Then the last bug turns and crawls "over" the first...and gets bigger. This is repeated until we have "one big ugly bug!" filling up the screen. That used to creep me out when I was little.

The other one was BIG TIME scary to me. This was actually a series of several, but I didn't know this till years later cause I'd always head for the hills when it came on! Yes, friends...we are speaking of the dreaded Willy Wimple Anti-Pollution Cartoons.

For those of you who don't remember, there were several folk-songish cartoons about a careless and rather nasty-looking kid named Willy Wimple, who in each one did something nasty to the environment: throwing trash on the land or in the water, and cutting down trees. The song went on to say, "Now if every kid did it, can't you see, what an icky mess it would be?" The cartoon and song would go into the consequences of what the world would look like if "every kid did it". They all concluded with a shot of the earth from space...brown and dirty...and a gruff, "YUCK!"

I think what scared me when I was a kid was that I somehow missed the "if every kid did it" line. Therefore, I thought that this one kid was responsible for screwing up the entire world. (I cheered myself up, though, by imagining a little story inside my head in which Big Bird and the gang, sans Oscar of course, tracked down Willy and forced him to clean up his mess.)

Anyway, thanks to this and other anti-pollution sketches, I became a real bear for not throwing trash around. But even now, I get a bit of a scare even thinking of them...

Other minor scares: that cartoon with the cracks on the wall turning into animals and one evil-looking "crack monster", and the News Flash with the horse running up the clock and smashing the thing to bits. But this was nothing compared to the pure stark horror that was Willy Wimple, Arch Polluter.

Some of the sketches that others have said scared them either had no effect on me or were sketches I loved. For example, the orange that sang Carmen's Habanera is often put in the scary category...but that used to crack me up no end!

Anyway, consider this thread therapy. What sketches used to scare you?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
When did Batman and Robin show up on Sesame Street?

clipjj27 said:
A couple of things that 'freaked me out' as a young viewer:

1. The clip featuring a man's face changing shape. It's a cartoon, and everytime his nose or other facial features would change, it would be accompanied by a creaky door sound. Shivers up my spine, brrr!

2. Batman and Robin segments - two I remember feature someone using a handkerchief to clean a dirty window and Batman throwing a boomerang through a window. I think there was also a third one which started out showing Joker or Penguin running out of some building, but I'm not too sure.

Even at the age of 32, remembering things like these still gives me the creeps and makes my stomach want to do a somersault.

Batman and Robin were on Sesame Street??? Cool!
Can someone please give me some more information on this?
Thanks

clipjj27

Reaction score
Yes. I watched Sesame Street primarily between the years of 1975 and 1981 and these clips were on (or produced) during that time frame. What years did you watch Sesame Street? If it was after that time frame, maybe Sesame Street stopped showing them. Also, just wondering, if you're interested, did you see the thread I started a couple days ago about 'snippets' I remember from those years? I listed ten of them, and might add more in the near future. Thanks for responding.

GonzoLeaper said:
Batman and Robin were on Sesame Street??? Cool!
Can someone please give me some more information on this?
Thanks

muppetphile

Reaction score
"V"

MIKEB97 said:
Another one was where a mean voice echoed "Small V!". .

Is that the cartoon in space where the woman's flat voice kept repeating "v"...."v"......"v"....."v"..... as the letter "v" sped through space (from left to right) and, just as it comes to a stop, the woman says "VEEE!"??? I was a little freaked out by that as a kid.