What sketches scared you as a kid?

Splurge

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Funny, that was always one of my favorites. Mainly because I loved the idea of inanimate objects coming to life.

BTW, the singing orange should not be confused with the much later orange made out of claymation for which there were several skits. She may have been inspired by the original singing orange, but she came years later. Does anyone remember the claymation orange's name?
That was Cecille the Ball. And I should say that I didn't mean to suggest I didn't like the Orange Singing Carmen - I did, even though(possibly because?) it was creepy. Perhaps I would have not have thought it was weird if it was 2 dimensional cell animation, I just thought of that.

I wonder aloud if Jim Henson was behind that one. I wish someone was able to confirm or deny.

mikealan

Reaction score
drmusic_99 said:
First, I'll get out of the way that this is my first post.

Anyway, one SS sketch that creeped me out somewhat was the one where Bert and Ernie (I think) are having problems with their TV... it does nothing but show the letter "H", and a voice says "H...H...H...H...H" over and over again. That voice, and the sfx that accompanied it, were rather frightening.
Well, I got that extremely rare Ernie & Bert H television sketch on #2282 from Gbrobeck in early 2004. It starts when Bert wanted to watch his favorite show The Wonderful World Of Pigeons, but the TV showed nothing but the letter H, and the voice says, "H...H...H...H...,etc." Then Ernie came along to fix the television and the problem of their TV is that there are so many stuff that began with H inside the TV like a hat, a horn, a hamburger, a house, and a live hamster! Bert then turned back on the TV and the TV now shows just the letter "I" as the voice says "I...I...I...I....,etc." and Bert feels like enjoying the TV that showed just the letter I! The only sketch that used to scare me in my youth on that episode was the animated sketch Splasho the Diver-Before & After.

On that animated sketch, Splasho was getting ready to jump into the huge cup of water, but the cup didn't have water. He told the man who works for the show to fill up the cup of water before Splasho dives in, but the man says, "I was going to put water in that cup after you dive in!" But Splasho really wants the man to pour the water in the cup before he dives in, so the man decides to pour the water into the huge cup and Splasho finally dives into it.

The sponsors of that episode were H, P, & 12 where Dr. Price had his new wake-up machine with the clock and the feather and The Count bought candles for the Fix-It-Shop to make Maria shocked.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
I don't know why,but somehow the segments that scared me as a child where the occasional segments that had people or muppets moving around in fast motion to fast music.Including one where Big Bird was scurrying around his nest in fast motion.But now when I see them I can't help laughing.Another segment that bothered me as a child,was the Super Grover episode where two little boy muppets fight over an apple.It upset me the way they kept hitting eachother.If I saw that one today though,I'd probably laugh.

Dantecat

Reaction score
What clips do you get on #2282 and What year was that skit?

ssetta

Reaction score
It looks Season 6ish, but I'm not positive.

Splurge

Reaction score
Pug Lover said:
I don't know why,but somehow the segments that scared me as a child where the occasional segments that had people or muppets moving around in fast motion to fast music.Including one where Big Bird was scurrying around his nest in fast motion.But now when I see them I can't help laughing.Another segment that bothered me as a child,was the Super Grover episode where two little boy muppets fight over an apple.It upset me the way they kept hitting eachother.If I saw that one today though,I'd probably laugh.
I like to envision Jerry and Richard (who puppeteered those boys) mocking fighting during that scene. I like to imagine what it could have looked like if the camera pulled back and we saw the Muppeteers performing in that particular scene... just as was done during "Sex and Violence".

What a mischievous mind have I. :big_grin:

core

Reaction score
I was a little bit scared about the Count. Whem I was vife years old and I saw him I haven't got the nerve to wachting on Sesamstreet for wile.

But now I realy adore him. I can't remember why I was exakley scared abaut him in the past.
He is a wanderful muppet, but I have got my doubts if he is a model muppet for all toddlers :confused:
I wonder perhaps the Count gets more justice if he apears by the Muppertshow or any muppetprogram for older people than in a program where many of 3-6 jears old kids watch?

Swedish_Cheff

Reaction score
heh

The scene on SS with the flower monster was scary. ( when they wanted to pick flowers, picked one and pulled up a monster )

but what monster was it anyway

Censored

Reaction score
The Count used to scare too when I was a child, at least he did when he first came around. I was around 5 or 6 and extremely afraid of vampires. The Count was also a bit more sinister in the beginning too. The fear certainly didn't last. It wasn't long before I got my own Count puppet and today I have several Count toys on my shelf. I think the Count was better for Sesame Street than the Muppet Show because of Sesame's emphasis on education and the convenient pun about "count".

There were several things that scared me on Sesame Street, but none of them developed into traumas that haunt me today. I can laugh at what scared me on that show and feel that they were learning experiences. Even at its "scariest", Sesame Street was still very mild compared to other things
out there. No lasting scars, just funny memories. That's one reason I tend to be very skeptical about the extreme self-censorship that seems to be taking place on Sesame Street today.

core

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
The Count used to scare too when I was a child, at least he did when he first came around. I was around 5 or 6 and extremely afraid of vampires. The Count was also a bit more sinister in the beginning too.
I believe it inmeadiadley, but I suppose onley his clothes are shanged, or are there more changed things about him?
The fear certainly didn't last. It wasn't long before I got my own Count puppet and today I have several Count toys on my shelf. I think the Count was better for Sesame Street than the Muppet Show because of Sesame's emphasis on education and the convenient pun about "count".
Alright, but I think perhaps it's time het gets a bigger defelopment about his personality. Now his personality is very lemitted. (mebe I can start a new topic about this tread)?

There were several things that scared me on Sesame Street, but none of them developed into traumas that haunt me today. I can laugh at what scared me on that show and feel that they were learning experiences. Even at its "scariest", Sesame Street was still very mild compared to other things
out there. No lasting scars, just funny memories. That's one reason I tend to be very skeptical about the extreme self-censorship that seems to be taking place on Sesame Street today.
OK, granted. It's a pitty fact they censor so much, but I mean the Count deserved a bigger world than onley Sesamstreet like Kermit, he apears also in Sesamstreet and the Muppert Show both.