Phil Robertson "Fired"

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
What I think is sickening is the fact people can bash Christians all day long, and no one will say anything. However you say something about negative about gay people, and everyone is ready to hang you. Being a Christian is almost more low respecting then being gay. Everyone is fine with someone being gay, but if some one is a Christian and try's to live a Godly life with morals and beliefs then there is something wrong with you. I'm A Christian, and I am proud of it. I believe in God, and that he sent his only son to die for our sins. The Bible is very clear on what a sin is, and I believe that it is the Holy Word of God. I live by faith, and I don't need anyone to tell me otherwise!
Yes, Christians do come in for special abuse these days. If you say anything negative toward Jews, you're an anti-Semite. If you make a comment against Islam, you're an infidel. If you don't agree with homosexuality, you're a gay-bashing hater. If you say anything that goes against the grain of political correctness, they'll find some way to make an example out of you.

But it hurts me to see too many Christians portrayed as Bible-thumping, intolerant hypocrites.
To some degree it is unfortunately true. But there are others who do try to follow the word of God, who try to adhere to Jesus' wisdom, and impart that love to others the best we can.We're still going to make mistakes, we're still going to screw up, we're still going to fall far short of God's expectations, we're still going to stumble around the same blocks, and if only for God's grace and the sacrifice Jesus made do we stand any chance of making it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
But it hurts me to see too many Christians portrayed as Bible-thumping, intolerant hypocrites.
And those sorts of Bible-thumpers really are hurting Christianity's image in the same way certain middle-eastern terrorists are hurting Islam.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
And those sorts of Bible-thumpers really are hurting Christianity's image in the same way certain middle-eastern terrorists are hurting Islam.
I personally had not heard about the religion of Islam until 9/11. I think a lot of American's where the same way. So when you first hear about the religion and it is so heavily associated with such a violent act, then it's going to hurt that religion's image, and everyone that is a part of that religion is then a terrorist by association.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
These are the facts as I see them:

This is not a free speech issue. Anyone can be fired if their words or behavior reflects badly upon their employer. Bearded reality show personalities don't get some sort of special pass.

A&E undoubtedly knew of Mr. Robertson's rhetoric before they ever aired one episode of Duck Dynasty, but they were trying to keep a lid on it for everyone's benefit until the star loosened it himself. A lot of people are also neglecting to recognize the inflammatory things he said about African Americans too. This is obviously just the tip of a much larger iceberg. Just wait.

I have never heard of anyone being fired for treating others with dignity and respect no matter what they believe. I always thought Christians were supposed to communicate their beliefs with the grace and compassion of Jesus. The Duck Dynasty star failed miserably on that account. He was a jerk and he painted Christians as jerks and that's not a good thing for anyone. Furthermore, he demonstrated pride over compassion in his refusal to apologize for how his words came out. He didn't merely quote the Bible, he made some rather off-color remarks about gays that were inappropriate, particularly for someone wishing to maintain a $400 million brand.

Also, there's real religious persecution toward Christians all over the world. This guy is not a martyr. He's just an ignorant dude who stuck his foot in his mouth. I'd also like to see him walk a mile in the shoes of a Muslim-American, African American, gay person or immigrant before claiming oppression on this issue of his own creation.

Pope Francis is the perfect example of humbly retaining his religious beliefs while affording others their dignity.Maybe we could all be better to each other and think before we speak. It's not just what we say, it's how we say it and how we treat other people who are different from us. Just a thought.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'll be brief with my opinion:

who cares.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I think everyone is making a big deal over nothing. If what he said offensive? Meh? Depends on how you look at. I don't really know EXACTLY what he said, but as far as I can tell, he might have just voiced his opinion is a rather bad way.

I don't know why any particular group should care about what he said, because they shouldn't. it's one guy's opinion. HIS opinion does not physically hamper any rights or beliefs of anyone else.

If you ask me, people get too worked up and are too easily offended over what one person says.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
If anything, this situation has brought to light the ignorance and bigotry that's alive and kicking in 21st century America. I don't just mean from Mr. Robertson, but many of the radical and vile comments people have made across the internet in support of him that surpass even his rather rude statements. I think we should all treat each other better and think before speaking.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty.

I wonder if A&E is going to cancel the show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What I think is sickening is the fact people can bash Christians all day long, and no one will say anything. However you say something about negative about gay people, and everyone is ready to hang you. Being a Christian is almost more low respecting then being gay. Everyone is fine with someone being gay, but if some one is a Christian and try's to live a Godly life with morals and beliefs then there is something wrong with you. I'm A Christian, and I am proud of it. I believe in God, and that he sent his only son to die for our sins. The Bible is very clear on what a sin is, and I believe that it is the Holy Word of God. I live by faith, and I don't need anyone to tell me otherwise!
This is the perfect example of hypocrisy. Right there.

I am sick of this whole Witchhunter Hunt. Those who wish to oppress others whining about oppression when it happens to them. For the record, yeah. The passive aggressiveness of the loudest jerks of Atheism does suck. There are those who are as adamantly anti-religious as Bible Thumpers, and only exist as a ying to their yang, created BECAUSE of Bible thumpers just as bible thumpers were created because of hippies. Which goes to the point, we all should freaking hate hippies. I absolutely hate that a certain group of loud, obnoxious, hateful people always color groups in negative light. How about doing something about that vs niggling over unimportant Old Testament era law?

But this whole one sided war on Christianity thing is hilariously a first worlder problem. You get smug jerks laughing behind your back and false news bitey stories about how one town you don't live in calls it a Holiday tree. Just like Hitler's Germany, right? :rolleyes: Meanwhile, gays get violent bullying, forced into loveless marriages by stodgy sanctimonious family, kicked out of their families, and commit suicide. Oh, and in other countries they can kill you for being Gay and or Christian, so there's that.

It is as wrong to bully Christians for being Christian as it is for anyone else being what they are. But stop treating those who don't believe what you believe as monsters, and stop acting like different beliefs cause yours to evaporate. There is nothing wrong with your beliefs as long as they inspire you to be a better person. If they inspire self gratifying sanctimoniousness, hate, violence and basically everything else the religious text tell you not to do then the problem isn't the religion, it's YOU!

How about compromise? Christians stop acting like feelings against homosexuality are the main driving force of your system of beliefs and everyone else will stop trying to passive aggressively counterattack their beliefs.

Oh come on, they knew the press would make a big deal about it. This wasn't sweeping him under the rug, this was to humiliate the guy. And naturally the activist groups show up to brand him as a pariah in order to shut him up. A&E knew that would happen too. Now they have their street cred as a "progressive" network because they successfully censored the right person. That's what I mean by a witch hunt mentality. This isn't civil discord, it's a bunch of parties getting together to censor someone they don't agree with.
Which is pretty much a ridiculous reason to do so because that show...nay... reality TV is about humiliating their stars. I still think they should have kept the guy on the show and just rebranded the character as the Straw Backward Views Redneck that people can make fun of.

If anything, this situation has brought to light the ignorance and bigotry that's alive and kicking in 21st century America. I don't just mean from Mr. Robertson, but many of the radical and vile comments people have made across the internet in support of him that surpass even his rather rude statements. I think we should all treat each other better and think before speaking.
If Mr. Robertson wasn't saying these things out of bigotry, then those who are defending him sure as heck are. Like I said, great job breaking it progressives. Now he's a martyr to every hateful d-bag that thinks the gum'ment is readin' their mahnds an' makin' 'em like the everyone who isn't straight and white.

Seriously, to the surprise of no one, Glenn Beck is defending Robertson. And he should know. The guy said so many dangerously batcrap insane and batcrap insanley dangerous things he was kicked off of Fox News! That's a level of danger to himself and others insanity usually reserved for the rambling manifesto found by the FBI. And he can't even keep his concocted conspiracy theories straight.