Songs You Can't Stand

snichols1973

Reaction score
I really can't stand "Baby It's Cold Outside." The Muppet version is not bad, but other covers... terrible.
This version was recorded in the late 1940's (before the doo-wop/early rock and roll era), and the duet frequently overlaps throughout the song. This song, tends to speak more of cold weather with no mention of Xmas or the holidays (ditto for Let it Snow, which also has winter-themed lyrics, but no mention of Christmas), which makes it a popular song for those who don't celebrate Christmas. Meanwhile, this song might not be too popular in Buffalo, NY which has a reputation for very snowy blizzards when winter draws near.....

:boo:: There are cheerful, upbeat versions of Let it Snow...
:sleep:: And then you have Rod Stewart's version!
:sleep::boo:: Doh-ho-ho-ho!

Rod Stewart - Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! - YouTube

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The two most depressing, slit-wrist-inducing songs ever, by two artists whose other work I totally admire:

1. "Captain Jack"- Billy Joel
2. "Down By the River"- Neil Young

If you're not having a good day, and your hear either of these songs, don't have a razor blade anywhere near you!!!

cjd874

Reaction score
The two most depressing, slit-wrist-inducing songs ever, by two artists whose other work I totally admire:

If you're not having a good day, and your hear either of these songs, don't have a razor blade anywhere near you!!!
I'm not familiar with all of Neil Young's songs, so I can't say anything about it. However, Billy Joel's "Captain Jack" IS pretty depressing, not to mention edgy in a crude way. No other song to my knowledge mentions so many taboo subjects, which I will refrain from discussing here.
In a similar vein, "Summer Highland Falls" from the 1976 album Turnstiles is about manic depression; and "Tomorrow is Today" from the 1971 album Cold Spring Harbor borrows words from Billy's own suicide note. Turned out that ingesting furniture polish didn't kill him after all. Thankfully he turned to music to cure his depression. Imagine how different the world would have been without him.
Back on track: I do not like *****'s "Sexy and I Know It." Heck, I don't really like any of their stuff…although I have to admit that "Party Rock Anthem" is awesome to dance to at parties.

snichols1973

Reaction score

Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine" is definitely a candidate for number 3; it's so monotonous, you'll want to change the station before you get bored to death...

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with all of Neil Young's songs, so I can't say anything about it. However, Billy Joel's "Captain Jack" IS pretty depressing, not to mention edgy in a crude way. No other song to my knowledge mentions so many taboo subjects, which I will refrain from discussing here.
"Captain Jack" does have some crude subject matter, but I think it fits in well with the song. It's showing the shallowness of the life of the rich kid turning to drugs and whatever. I think the bluntness of the lyrics is to show how bad their choices are. If the lyrics were dressed up, the song would lose its impact.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know the title of it, but there's this song (they use it in a car insurance ad... the one where they have giant babies stand in for the cars), I'll call it "Love is Strange" or something... someone had it on a CD and I had to listen to it. There's this part in the middle that goes like (and this is spoken) "How do you call your Lover Boy?" "Oh Lover BOOOOYYYY..." "an' if he doesn't answer?" "I just go OOHHHHH LOOOOVER BOOOOOYYY!!!!" I just get a huge "that ugly woman Eddie Valiant thought was Jessica Rabbit, but wasn't saying 'A MAAYYYYUNNNN!!!'" vibe out of it.

snichols1973

Reaction score
I don't know the title of it, but there's this song (they use it in a car insurance ad... the one where they have giant babies stand in for the cars), I'll call it "Love is Strange" or something... someone had it on a CD and I had to listen to it. There's this part in the middle that goes like (and this is spoken) "How do you call your Lover Boy?" "Oh Lover BOOOOYYYY..." "an' if he doesn't answer?" "I just go OOHHHHH LOOOOVER BOOOOOYYY!!!!" I just get a huge "that ugly woman Eddie Valiant thought was Jessica Rabbit, but wasn't saying 'A MAAYYYYUNNNN!!!'" vibe out of it.

The song's name is "Love is Strange", sung by the duo of Mickey & Sylvia, originally recorded sometime in the 1950's (I think), and featured in Dirty Dancing.....

Dr TeethFan

Reaction score
Gangnam Style By Psy
People try to sing along even though there are like four english words "lady" "sexy" "style" "hey"