Your Thoughts: What's the Name of that Song? DVD

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Today a very special commemorative Sesame Street DVD ("What's the Name of that Song?) is being released highlighting many of the best celebrity appearances on the program. The disc also includes several classic clips from the history of the show.

Featured celebrities include: Maya Angelou, Wayne Brady, Katie Couric, The Dixie Chicks, Gloria Estefan, Diana Krall, Patti LaBelle, Nathan Lane, Conan O'Brian, Queen Latifah, REM, Ben Stiller, and Vanessa Williams among others.

DVD extras include a book insert with photos of the Muppets and song lyrics, interviews with the Muppets, a trivia game, four classic "Sasame Street" shorts and a parenting section, "Music Works Wonders."

Post and let us know what you think about this new DVD. You can also submit a DVD review of this title here...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/submit.shtml

Dantecat

Reaction score
Hey Phillip, do you know what 4 classic skits will be on there? :confused:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I sort of wonder if that's the reason the anniversary special wasn't so great. Maybe they put more of their effort into making this. Just a thought.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking.

Besides the real reason why people thought negative of the special was A) they worked it as an episode and B) people just don't like Elmo and cannot accept the fact that he's the driving force behind SS nowadays!

I saw it at Best buy for 10 bucks... And it's not just a DVD, it's a DVD with a singalong book (their words, not mine). The box is not the conventional DVD box, but rather... err... remember the Sesame board books of the old days? It's sort of a DVD container shaped like one of those. I wonder hopw the DVD is secured...

I cannot remember much, but it has Queen Latifah's "That's the Letter O" with Prairie Dawn and the litle yellow female monster (not Zoe) that was on the series briefly in the 90's.

If I didn't blow my last chunka change on Board and Clay for my 3-D animation class, I would have picked one up right away!

blackurth

Reaction score
DVD Rundown

Here's the rundown of the DVD...

Extras: 4 classic shorts-featuring-"abc-def-ghi" (big bird), "but I like you" (bert and ernie), captain vegetable and "pinball number count"

Sesame Street trivia with some guy reading the trivia for you

Cast interviews: featuring grover, bert and elmo, no REAL cast members

For parents: a section that has elmo, hoots, telly and others learning to play songs. There's some hiddin "marijuana" joke if you listen real closely, at least that's what I picked up. Hoots says "he's fried" and "I can sing high."

The show itself consists of these songs...

1.Eennsy Weensy Spider
2.Sing
3.Between
4.From Your Head
5.Gospel Alphabet
6.Eight Balls of Fur
7.Letter Song
8.That's the Letter O
9.Number Song
10.Counting Vacation
11.Get Along
12.Do De Duck
13.Doin' the Pigeon
14.Operetic Lullaby
15.You Made Me Love You
16.Everybodys Song
17.What's the Name of that Song

All in all it wasn't bad, but most of the footage was from the 80's and '90s and there wasn't much Henson in it although a little with one song by Kermit.

Dantecat

Reaction score
Dr. Tooth, the yellow monster is Merry Monster.

Blackurth, are all 17 songs you listed Muppet skits? Yes or No? :confused:

jrod

Reaction score
Who are the celebrities/Muppets on each song? I wish they had "Share" or "What is a Friend?" on there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I like Captain Vegitable and Big Bird's Abcdefgi, but I wish in liu of Pinball Number Count they'd use something like "Let's Sing a Song of 10" like in the special. "I like You" is on a bit, but it's great to have it on demand.

I will get this DVD as soon as I get the money. It sounds great, especially since Hoots is on it! I wish they'd bring him back completely.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That sounds cool. Which version of "ABC-DEF-GHI" is it? The one where Big Bird is talking to Susan and the original Gordon about it, the one where he cleans his nest and pulls out the alphabet thing, or do they just show him singing the song?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Wayne Brady "Between Song" (a remake of an older version... only this time a skit got better during the remake) was one of the highlights of last year for me.