Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Yeah balance is good. There's been periods of my life(late 80's, late 90's, mid 2000's) where some periods I practically ate/slept/drank Muppets. Some of my family is like that(Where Jim Henson is almost a Christlike religious figure) but I have so many other passions the Muppets have taken a bit of a backseat. But Balance is the key, noone should ever focus on one thing as you reach total burnout. Thats what happened with me and Star Wars, just got burned out.
Yeah, I sort of had a similar falling out w/ Star Wars. I lived and breathed SW for several years when I was I kid, then when Episode I came out in 1999 I stopped caring and moved on to comic books as my new hobby. The Muppets and the world of Jim Henson in general have been with me since I was a toddler, but it wasn't until the last three years or so that I became more obsessed and rewatched Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, the original Muppet movies, and all my other fav Henson projects from when I was a kid

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sadly, no. I hated everything about this movie; easily the worst film of 2011. And I'm not giving a reason why because no matter how strong my opinions are, they will not be accepted. Therefore, I'm saving myself some aggravation and cruel words and that's all I'll say.
I strongly wish there was a dislike button.

It's like all the sudden this wave of negativity just shot the heck out.

I do understand there were problems with the film, but for the love of Pete... they didn't make another crappy "Classic retelling."

Now, I'm trying to see it every way possible, but a lot of this is starting to sound very ungrateful. No one is EVER going to be happy with any Muppet film that isn't the first three. It doesn't matter that this is someone's dream project, or that we wouldn't even get a DTV without them. Considering all the garbage going down at Henson for them not to get anything that isn't Dinosaur Train off the ground, we got a FREAKIN' movie. Did we ever expect to see a movie, let alone a theatrical one ever again?

Also... modern movie is modern. If you don't like modern movies in general, you might not like a modern movie.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One scene that appears in the junior novel but not the finished film occurs after the Muppets leave the theater and are suddenly surrounded by fans. Tex Richman sees what happens and then tells the Muppets to stop being happy, because (to him) only rich people can be happy. Not sure if this was filmed, but if left in then his line in the closing song ("Will you stop that singing? You've already sung this song!") would make a bit of sense. There, he appeared to show defeat, but without the scene mentioned we didn't actually see him feeling defeated or sour that the Muppets were happy anyway.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I strongly wish there was a dislike button.

It's like all the sudden this wave of negativity just shot the heck out.

I do understand there were problems with the film, but for the love of Pete... they didn't make another crappy "Classic retelling."

Now, I'm trying to see it every way possible, but a lot of this is starting to sound very ungrateful. No one is EVER going to be happy with any Muppet film that isn't the first three. It doesn't matter that this is someone's dream project, or that we wouldn't even get a DTV without them. Considering all the garbage going down at Henson for them not to get anything that isn't Dinosaur Train off the ground, we got a FREAKIN' movie. Did we ever expect to see a movie, let alone a theatrical one ever again?

Also... modern movie is modern. If you don't like modern movies in general, you might not like a modern movie.
Ugh... I hate even thinking about the Henson Company's CGI kid's shows like Dinosaur Train or Sid the Science Kid. I wish they had the brass to do a new show with Creature Shop creations.

You said "No one is EVER going to be happy with any Muppet film that isn't the first three," but I personally much prefer The Muppets to MTM; I've always found MTM a bit boring, mainly because it lacks an antagonist.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I personally much prefer The Muppets to MTM; I've always found MTM a bit boring, mainly because it lacks an antagonist.
Will have to respectfully disagree with you there, as MTM is my favorite, lol. But just to let you know even if there was a dislike button, I wouldn't use it; we all have our opinions. :smile:

And actually MTM does have an antagonist. Namely the harsh realities of trying to make a career in show business. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ugh... I hate even thinking about the Henson Company's CGI kid's shows like Dinosaur Train or Sid the Science Kid. I wish they had the brass to do a new show with Creature Shop creations.
Well, I applaud Sid for being digital Puppetry still using the Waldo system. I think it worked better for the Skrumps... but Dino train, much as I like the show and the characters, it's Henson in production company and the creation of a freelance employee only. Thing's animated in Singapore and voiced in Canada... not even with a single Henson employee voice actor. I mean, I LOVE Ian Cortlett and Kathleen Barr (wish they'd get Scott McNeil to do a voice in it), don't get me wrong... but it really feels like something Henson is just a production company of. And it's basically their staple franchise. There's so much merchandise and it does pretty well. They desperately want to make their staple Fraggle Rock, but it's going to be Dino Train.

You said "No one is EVER going to be happy with any Muppet film that isn't the first three," but I personally much prefer The Muppets to MTM; I've always found MTM a bit boring, mainly because it lacks an antagonist.
MTM didn't need a physical antagonist. It was all about Kermit's inner struggles and the realities of having big dreams... the hopelessness, the longing, the huge period of waiting for something to click... Not being able to get Manhattan Melodies out there fast was the antagonist.

Of course, I hold the first three films very dear myself, and don't think they can be topped, but also I feel that there's no need for them to be topped anyway. Like I say with Looney Tunes... sure, we'll never get another Chuck Jones or Bob Clampett or any shorts as great as those... but I LOVE stuff like Taz-Mania, Duck Dodgers, Tiny Toons... just don't do Baby Looney Tunes and Loonatics. Try. That's all I ask. That said, I really think this movie comes very close, as I do think that VMX and LTS come close on different angles as well, but feel a little too modern to really be classified the same for me. I'd say that The Muppets is my favorite Post-Henson Muppet Project (favorite Post Henson project period? Dinosaurs)... I'd put those three movies/specials together as my top favorites. I also love MTI. Just... never EVER get Tim Hill to direct again, easy on the Simpsons writers.

I kinda wanna see Brian Lynch have an angle on the Muppets. If there's anyone besides Jason I'd like to see work on the next project, it's probably him. I'm loving his work on the new TMNT one shot comics.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
MTM didn't need a physical antagonist. It was all about Kermit's inner struggles and the realities of having big dreams... the hopelessness, the longing, the huge period of waiting for something to click... Not being able to get Manhattan Melodies out there fast was the antagonist.
Exactly. It's a frustration and a longing anyone with a dream can identify with. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Many of Jim Henson's movie and television themes diffused the typical black hat antagonist. Doc Hopper is the only true one I can really think of that fits the standard mold. Even Jereth in Labyrinth wasn't really that bad of a guy. He just represents a selfish path, but not a vicious or cruel one. The skeksis weren't totally evil either. They were just one half of a whole. Jim sought more thoughtful messages than the clear contrasts we're used to getting from most entertainment. I feel a lot of that tradition was upheld with the recent film, although most of that actually was gutted from the final cut.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
^ This. It was the same thing Studio Ghibli did with many of their films, Spirited Away and the character of Yubaba being a huge example as such.

beaker

Reaction score
Only mainstream movies are adepts of this horrendous "modern"(ie: badly shot, ADHD style) If you saw my top ten list, youd know most of the best films are indie/indie-ish dramedys, dramas and comedys. As well as some foreign films.

Heck here's a beloved brand new movie in theaters that really gets old school:

If you see a film like No Country For Old Men, it's shot and paced in a way most mainstream films just don't adhere too. again, that's why I felt Letters To Santa had slightly more of a relaxed, less frantic(despite the insanely truncated position they were in time wise) naturalistic way of shooting(and yes, even tho it was mostly sets, unlike the open road of the original muppet movie)