Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

blackaerin

Reaction score
(slaps forehead) EGAD! That would have been a great revelation, had that happened. I do like the inability to laugh angle, and if that was JUST in the film, it would have made the ending and some of the other gags work...

But that is a very interesting concept... him hating something he once loved because of traumatic circumstances... it makes the character a LOT deeper either way. Muppet villains didn't really need any depth... surely, Jeffery Tambor's character was the only one that had any depth at all that was an original character (Scrooge's Depth was created by Charles Dickens anyway).

Still, I think it's ridiculous that 2 minutes of actual plot set up got cut.
I personally thought that Doc Hopper had a bit of depth to him. He was silly, but he was also someone to be taken seriously.

I would've loved this angle on Richman, being the opposite of Walter. Would've certainly made his motives even more personal and chilling.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I personally thought that Doc Hopper had a bit of depth to him. He was silly, but he was also someone to be taken seriously.
Nah... Doc Hopper was a one track mind. He was basically bent on getting what he wants, he had no real backstory to speak of, and he was just epitomizing evil. Doc didn't have depth, but he didn't need it is what I'm saying. It's supposed to be an old style cartoony bit where villains are just villains because they're villains. Max was the one that had depth to him, realizing that he was the lackey of a madman who would kill Kermit to get what he wanted, crossed over to the good guys and even warned them.

Still, 2 minutes of footage cut for an arbitrary run time makes no sense. Tex's inability to laugh, depth or not, was a running gag with a big pay off that didn't have a set up. I still love this movie quite a bit (much more than any of the other Post Henson Muppet films), but the reason the concepts felt off was due to the hack chop editing they did. I hope the extended Tex spiel finds a "When love is Gone" place in the DVD version of the movie. I know it's there, it makes the movie work for me, but I want to see it in the actual project, not connect dots with the soundtrack and junior novelization. I'm gonna say studio's fault.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Doc didn't have depth, but he didn't need it is what I'm saying.
I don't entirely agree. He was written with a lot more layers than this new villian. Doc Hooper appears like a nice guy on the outside until you get to know him. He has to be to be a businessman. And he's genuinely a little hurt when Max won't support him in the end. Richman on the other hand? Not what I would call a deep or subtle character, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see that so much as deepness as just another factor of him being a villain by deceptive means. Something Tex DID do when he bought the contract from Statler and Waldorf, and presumably however Kermit got the news that it was happening.

Character depth comes from what the character has gone through, what his motivations are, what drives him... Other than a lost concept through editing, the villains are all kinda one-dimensional in these things, except for Jeffery Tambor's character, who was motivated by a history of being made a fool of and being laughed at.

Actually, I think Jeffery was one of my favorite villains from all the Muppet movies combined.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't see that so much as deepness as just another factor of him being a villain by deceptive means. Something Tex DID do when he bought the contract from Statler and Waldorf, and presumably however Kermit got the news that it was happening.
I'll be honest, it felt a little ridiculous that any of the characters were fooled by Richman. It made the main characters look stupid, rather than making Richman look like an effective villain. It has to be somewhat believable. Whereas with Hopper you could see how people would be tricked by him at first.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I'll be honest, it felt a little ridiculous that any of the characters were fooled by Richman. It made the main characters look stupid, rather than making Richman look like an effective villain. It has to be somewhat believable. Whereas with Hopper you could see how people would be tricked by him at first.
It would've worked better if Chris Cooper had played it a little more sincere in the first scene with Statler and Waldorf, instead of giving Tex an attitude of 'I'm being sneaky and sarcastic, but you don't know it, cause I'm smarter'en you. Nyah-nyah.'

beaker

Reaction score
Sadly, no. I hated everything about this movie; easily the worst film of 2011. And I'm not giving a reason why because no matter how strong my opinions are, they will not be accepted. Therefore, I'm saving myself some aggravation and cruel words and that's all I'll say.
Hey, Ive been on here for over 13 years and will gladly accept your criticism of the film. Im just curious what particular aspect irked you the wrong way. A big one for me was the overall mismatched tone/truncated feel of it. Not to mention the fact some of it even felt sloppy, like how Gonzo looked/was handled/written for. Some of the film I thought was brilliant(like the opening monologue, some of the theatre production numbers, etc)

beaker

Reaction score
Well, I guess I should post something about now. I saw the movie on the 26th. I haven't been able to think about much else at all this past week. It's kinda scaring me. I've never been this into the Muppets before, and now I spend like 5 hours a day watching the stuff on Youtube. I almost feel like I don't deserve to be a part of this
Oh no no no...that is the point of the new film. To introduce young and old to Jim Henson's stuff, and to revitalize long time fans. Hearing people just NOW getting into them and discovering them is wonderful(and the point!)

Tips for you:

Everything you ever wanted to know about anything Muppet or Jim Henson productions:
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Muppet_Wiki

The BEST daily Muppet news site:
http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/

Also try and seek out the Muppet Show magazine comic at your local comic shop or newsstand. And, I believe Walmart and Target has some of the Muppet films like Muppets Take Manhattan(my personal favorite) and Muppets From Space for just a few dollars. Otherwise, you can find most of what youre looking for on youtube or torrent sites.

Welcome!

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I just convinced my non Muppet fan friend to come to a showing today!
He liked it but he was kinda upset it wasn't as funny as I said it was,

beaker

Reaction score
Think of the Muppets themselves. There are many different types, and yet they're all accepted and welcome in the group by the others. There ya go! :smile:

Embrace and learn all things Henson & friends, and you won't be let down. As for being too emotional about it all, all I can say is, maybe choose one day a week to dive in, if you really feel you need a break, but don't leave it behind! Stick around, and talk to your fellow fans here!
Yeah balance is good. There's been periods of my life(late 80's, late 90's, mid 2000's) where some periods I practically ate/slept/drank Muppets. Some of my family is like that(Where Jim Henson is almost a Christlike religious figure) but I have so many other passions the Muppets have taken a bit of a backseat. But Balance is the key, noone should ever focus on one thing as you reach total burnout. Thats what happened with me and Star Wars, just got burned out.