Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We should all treasure the moment. As a life-long Muppet fan who started one of the first Muppet fan sites almost 14 years ago, it literally feels like 1979 all over again. Simply amazing.

This is the big one that will have us talking for awhile...

After you finally see "The Muppets" on Wednesday November 23, please post your thoughts to discuss all aspects of the movie. Spoiler warning: If you do not want to know everything about the film, then please do not read any further.

If you would like to write an official review to be published on MuppetCentral.com, please submit your review by Sunday November 27. (We've intentionally not published any reviews until the film's official debut.)

dwmckim

Reaction score
I wish i could post a long indepth review, but i took the bus to see the midnight debut and walked home for 3 1/2 hours (despite wearing a big sign on my back the entire time i was in the theatre and 1/3 of the way home before i got too afraid of being stopped by police saying "Need ride home (19th Ave & Cactus)" ) and i'm too tired, in pain, and cranky to really say anything except i really do. not. EVER! want to hear "Life's a Happy Song" ever again aside from repeat viewings of the movie itself (and even then i may fast forward or take that time to excuse myself to restroom or concession stand)

Actually what i will say is i would give the movie an A but the final edit a C- at best. This comes from having read original script, junior novelization and all the evidence of stuff that was indeed filmed but not in the final cut...lots of stuff should have been in there that wasn't INCLUDING CRUCIAL STORY/CHARACTER INFO. I would say much of the movie seemed like setups for punchlines without the actual payoffs included. Very disappointed in what the film should have been compared to how it ended up and i'd go so far as to say this was really unfinished. Right now my big wish is that this film gets the Royal Dvd treatment with a new extended edit of the film alongside a "theatrical cut" Again, the film itself was wonderful...but SO much wasted potential and knowing it could have been so much MORE.

And i also have to throw in...they made it TOO EASY for anyone wanting to jump on the Wrong Sounding Muppets train...there were some really JARRING moments where the there would be lines that were just awful...i mean there were a couple Fozzie lines in a car scene where i thought there was something wrong with the film itself...he sounded like he was inexplicably on helium...those really should have been redubbed. Mind you, i'm the biggest advocate of recasts and the amazing job they typically do...and this is why it's all the more disappointing when moments like that slip through because you KNOW they can do so much better and it should have been easily fixed.

i'm sure i'll post a much longer review after a couple days after i've rested/recooperated.

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
Saw the movie last night for the second time and enjoyed it just as much as my first viewing at an advanced screening.

I know what you mean, dwmckim, about a scene with Fozzie and it sounding off in the car. I missed that the first time, but it stuck out last night. I didn't read any of the scripts or junior novelization, so I don't know about other endings.

My buddy who went said he could really tell that Segel and company are genuine in their love of the characters and their respect for the Muppets and it came through in the film.

rexcrk

Reaction score
I saw it at midnight last night! It was so much fun and I loved seeing the Muppets on the big screen again! They did such a good job with the movie, I was really impressed.

There were a lot of great throwbacks to the older stuff (showing clips from The Muppet Show, Sweetums chasing after the gang from Mad Man Mooney & Son, referencing Together Again). It was really touching in all the right places, I got a little teary towards the end when they were all singing Rainbow Connection.

We got to see so many classic characters have great parts; Rowlf, Scooter, Beauregard, Uncle Deadly had a really big role (probably his biggest ever?), Floyd was great, Link had a good part, even Wayne and Wanda had a joke.

All the songs were great too, I loved the opening and closing numbers. Definitely had a very Muppet-y vibe.

I did miss some of the newer Muppets from the Muppets Tonight era though. I get it, they wanted to go back to the older days which is definitely cool (like I said before I loved all the classic characters!) but I still missed seeing characters like Johnny and Sal. Pepe's part was really small too, and Rizzo was barely in it :frown: . Bobo had a pretty big part, though, and that was great. He always cracks me up :big_grin:

I feel like there should've been more Gonzo though. But that's because I'm a Muppet fan who was born in the late 80's and grew up in the 90's, I still think of Gonzo as like the main character :stick_out_tongue: (kidding, I know Kermit is haha).

But overall it was such a great movie and a fun experience. I'm sure I'm gonna be going to see it a few more times. There's probably stuff I'm forgetting about that I'll probably post later lol

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I went to the twelve-oh-one showing! It was an amazing movie, with enough muppety moments from almost every old beloved character to fill up your tank for a while. I felt like Jason really knew the characters and understood the things about them that made them unique, and that he treated them and the storyline with respect.

Warning: I'm going deep, so if you don't want my armchair psychologist take, skip ahead.
If you know me, you know that my muppet thing is the frog-pig romance, and I have not been very happy with the way that that epic love story has been treated for the past several years. In this movie, Piggy was everything I always knew she could be. She was gorgeous--every outfit, every hairstyle, and I want to kiss the designer of her "new" full-body design that is--finally--full-bodied! She looked amazing every second, but even more thrilling than her wonderful look was that I finally felt like my sassy, confident girl was back.

Unlike most of the muppets in this movie plot, Piggy was out there on her own making it--and making it wonderfully. When the gang comes for her, she hasn't been sitting around waiting for her life to start, or for some frog to show up so she can start living. When Kermit asks her to come back to help all of them save the theater, she doesn't melt into a puddle on the floor. (Okay--she does have one teensy, weensy frog-tackling lapse, but she recovers from it almost instantly.) When she and Kermit go for a walk in Paris to clarify his request for her to help them (a TOTALLY unexpected treat--I had no warning about this scene), Piggy is strong and in control of herself and her emotions. She knows what she wants and needs and is able to articulate it. Kermit can't do either at that point in the story, still hoping she'll just follow him home without any real work or commitment on his part. Piggy calls him on trying to use his "job title" as the man in charge of the show to further his personal agenda for a relationship with her, and does not fall for that. When Kermit comes back to his friends--alone, without her--the disappointment is not just that Piggy isn't coming to help with the show, but that Kermit wasn't able to heal the very obvious hole in his heart. Scooter's reaction here particularly touched me, as did Fozzie's.

But Piggy has always been compassionate even though she will pretend otherwise and is often demanding and self-interested. (Duh--diva!) She comes back to help--not to fall at Kermit's feel but because she cares about the dream they all made together. She draws the boundary lines very clearly--that she is coming back to help all of them because that's all Kermit asked her to do. And when Kermit's spirit falters in the face of overwhelming obstacles (see aforementioned note about hole in his heart), Piggy comes on strong to save the day--STILL without selling out or selling herself short. And you should notice that all the others are more than willing to follow her lead because--on some level--they know she can (do I dare?) bring home the bacon like no one else. Because of her, the telethon actually makes it to the air and they get their shot at stardom again. If she has an act or acts in the show, we don't get to see them, so she doesn't just come home to steal the spotlight.

When Kermit finally realizes that he could lose her--again--to the life she has made without him, he manages to break out of his diffidence and say what matters. I thought that showed real emotional growth on the part of the frog, who manages to ask for what he needs and wants the most. But none of it--the words or the kiss (FINALLY!) would have happened if she hadn't known him and loved him and given him one last chance.

The muppets have always been very emotionally true characters--full of the good, the bad and the, um, human foibles that everyone can struggle with. Seeing these two epic lovers finally meet where they can both stand tall and confident was worth everything to me. The "what happens after the telethon" clip with them and the reporters was CLASSIC! Kermit's annoyed little "Piggy!" made me laugh and grin my face off. But at least we know that Kermit--and Piggy--are finally back where they belong--with each other.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
I also saw the movie last night at midnight and I really enjoyed it! For a Muppet movie, I give it a 7-8/10.

Like Rexcrk said, so many great throwbacks to the classic Muppet movies, they were sprinkled all over and made me feel warm and tingly inside every time, lol! Truly a great gift to us die-hard Muppet fans!

Walter was wonderful and the complementary roles of Gary and Mary were also great- they had just enough screen time to make them a part of the story but not so much that they took away from the Muppets.

Chris Cooper as Tex Richman was great- definitely one of the meanest and evil-est villians to date- he was a great representation of the greed and pessimism we often see today which made a good contrast with the genuiness and laughter of the Muppets.

The Kermit/Piggy romance dynamic was awesome!!! Since I am a die hard frog/pig romantic, I wish there was more but it was a signficant step and it was done beautifully in the movie. FINALLY, Kermit said, "I miss you" and "I need you"- I have been dying to hear that for Piggy for so long!!! I loved how Piggy was a little more agressive in the way she stood up for herself and wouldn't take any crap from Kermit instead of always trying to gain his affection and his approval- it showed Piggy as a stronger, independent woman which I think is great for shaping Piggy as a role model on some level for young girls. I also loved Kermit's endearing words to her and the adorable kiss (though I thought it could have been longer, lol)- he actually kissed Piggy on the lips, on live television and in front of a full audience- definitely a sign that Kermit is warming up to Piggy again :smile: One thing about Piggy's character that really surprised me though was at the end of the telethon when Tex Richman takes the stage to kick the muppets out of the theater, Piggy backs away from Kermit instead of moving closer and "standing by her man" like she usually does. I know this is a super-small detail but it was so different than Piggy's usual actions towards Kermit that it really struck me- little stuff like that with Piggy throughout added so much depth to her character- finally i think Kermit will need to prove to Piggy that he's worth it.

Rowlf's stuff was great!! He finally had a chance to shine in a lot of parts which was much needed. Bill Baretta did a fantastic job and as always, Bobo was great comedic relief on the evil side. Uncle Deadly was AWESOME, definitely one of teh best parts of the film. The Wayne and Wanda bit when the lights went out was hilarious.

Fozzie was adorable- there were a few small areas where the voice seemed strangely off, but overall Eric's performance of Fozzie was wonderful. The scene with Kermit and Fozzie in hammocks in the theater was so cute and I almost started crying!

Steve did an AMAZING job with Kermit- sure Kermit's role in the movie is a lot more dramatic and serious than his typical Muppet Show role but I think it was really needed in the movie to add the dramatic tension and keep the Kermit as a leader spirit. As always, Kermit was the glue that held everybody together and reminded the Muppets who they were and what they can be again and it was such a great foundation for the film- Steve should definitely get an Oscar nod if you ask me!!!

The one blaring thing that really bugged me throughout the film (I'll definitely have to see it again to see if I feel the same way) can be boiled down to one word: EDITING- It seemed like there was a lot of great material and important plot details that were just cut out and in some places it was really obvious. I read the Junior Novel of the Movie which helped me figure out where plot stuff was missing but I think if I would have not read the junior novel, I would be really confused at some parts during the movie. I almost feel like we didn't get to see the entire movie. To me, some of it was just really poor editing choices when they probably had to get the time limit shorter and unfortunately it really shows during some parts of the movie.

For example, the background of Tex Richman (that he doesn't know how to laugh and that everyone laughed at him as a kid because they all laughed to Muppet stuff and he didn't) and why he hates the Muppets is never explained (the part in his rap where he explains it is cut out), so when he does the whole, "maniacal laugh" bit, no one gets it and the joke is lost- you don't find out until the end of the movie that he can't laugh. It would have added more value to Tex as a character if they didn't cut that out and would have taken away a lot of confusion during the movie.

Also, they don't explain why Kermit and Piggy split up so long ago- Kermit says that back then he said things that he regretted but we never find out what those things were and when Piggy talks about knowing that Kermit didn't want to marry her, only die-hard fans would get what she is saying (the novel has a flashback scene where it goes back to a huge argument that Kermit and Piggy had after The Muppets Take Manhattan where Kermit says, "you are not my wife, you will never be my wife", then Piggy takes the wedding photo of her and Kermit and rips it in two and runs out)- NONE of this is in the movie so new fans- fans the movie is trying to create, have no idea what is going on and near the end of the movie where the photo comes up, there is no context- I cannot believe that was edited out- it's such a big part of the Kermit and Piggy side story. I am BEGGING AND PRAYING that this will be put back in when the DVD comes out!!!!

But overall, the movie as a whole was great!!! I definitely want to see it again soon! It's not perfect but it's such a great springboard hopefully for some more Muppet productions down the line- it really brings a big, warm smile to your face that you can't wipe off and it's just the thing that we as Muppet fans have been waiting for so long to see :smile:

I know, "I can't seem to wipe this smile off my face!"

In the words of Animal- "SEE MOVIE, SEE MOVIE" :smile:

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Also, I agree with you 100% Ru- Piggy's newfound confidence and strength in herself was just what she needed and Kermit finally facing the music that he needs her and cares about her is such a wonderful gift for die-hard pig/frog romantics like you and me :smile: I definitely almost teared up a little at the end!

Avilos

Reaction score
I think it is a mistake to compare any film to a novelazation. For one these are based on scripts. Not from actually worked on set with the cast and crew. They may have found out that some of this footage did not work, which is why the absence from the finished film. This is often the case when deleted scenes are viewed on DVDs. Also often film novelazation writers often fill in details of their own invention that have nothing to do with the planned film.

matleo

Reaction score
I saw the movie last week and while it's a funny film it is a very flawed story, as DW said. I felt like Kermit made the decision to gather everyone up purely for the sake of moving the story along and less for any real personal reason. That made it hard for me to care about the story. Equally, as several others have said, the 'happy' ending was tacked on. Not to say that the film shouldn't have had a happy ending but why couldn't be IN the film?

The voices didn't bother me, and in fact, I'm very happy with the work of the new generation of performers. Some are admittedly better than others, but there are some I've definitely seen growth in in the last 5-10 years (Rowlf, Teeth, and Fozzie) nd I hope to see the others grow in the coming years. it's also just nice to see a lot of these characters again and I hope not hat Disney has had them rebuilt we will continue to see them.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I just got back from the premiere of the new movie. First of I want to admit, I'm a real credit when it comes to anything new of The Muppets that comes from Disney. But after watching this movie, I feel for the first time in so many years. I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS! The movie was AWESOME! I was smiling the whole entire time. And cried at every tear jerker moment. That to me tells me that the writing was really really good.

Plus I can't get that song that Walter and Jason sing in the movie out of my head, it's truely a good showtone. I thought I was going to dislike Walter because he was the new guy, but I feel differently about him now. To me Walter was an homage to us, the true Muppet fans. LOL My favorite scene is when they kidnap Jack Black and how misrable he is being the guest star. LOL It reminds me of the ol' John Cleese episode from Season 2. LOL Plus I can't stand Jack Black. LOL And what makes me really happy about the movie is that YES, The Jim Henson Company is somewhat involved in the film. Not only the studios filming certain scenes, but The Creature Shop helped out with the costumes according to the credits. So it's like Disney, Puppet Heap and Henson all together.

Things I noticed. Jerry Nelson is the voice of The Muppet Telephon announcer (uncredited), and if you look in the background, Jim Henson's picture can be seen twice. Once in Kermit's old office and second outside for one of the Jim Henson exibits.

If anyone here still hasn't seen The Movie, GO OUT AND SEE IT! It's so good, I think I'll go to the theaters next month to see it again.

Disney really out did themselves, Muppet Studios L.L.C. Did a wonderful job and I'm very very proud of them.