Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

beaker

Reaction score
I agree with Jamie's review. The film is perfect for their big comeback...its an amazing experience, the acting by the muppets is insanely well done. Its clearly very smart writing.

But...theres definitely some gaping holes that feel cut out for some inexplicable reason. Its a good movie, but I feel it could have truly been perfect with better editing.

Either way Im excited to see it again tomorrow night, hopefully with a bigger more college aged crowd:smile:

it was great watching it, but it missed the mar on being a great movie. the editing destroyed this thing.
I sadly agree. Like Letters to Santa, I love the heck out of it and to me it feels like a theatrical film...but the thing is so truncated beyond belief.

Puckrox

Reaction score
That's kind of eerie, as that is pretty much my *exact* same favorite moments, though I would also add the camilla translation scene, Behemoth and Droop having their own scene with Jack Black, Kermit and Piggy talking in the streets of Paris at night time, the Rowlf bit about how they found him, and my the funniest moment to me: the Moopets butchering of rainbow connection in Reno
I forgot about the subtitles when I was writing it up last night! I just back from seeing it a second time, and the subtitles for both Camilla and Swedish Chef still got me to laugh out loud. And Rowlf's bit where the found him (ie. his montage bit) is probably my favorite part of the entire film. As Rowlf said "Classic".

I have a bit of advice for all of you: if you plan on going to see The Muppets with a three year old, be warned, your attention from the movie is going to be a little... distracted. I guess I should have expected this, but it's been a while since I've been around children that young. During Pictures In My Head? My cousin decided she wanted to show me how should could count to ten. During Walter's speech to Kermit? My cousin dropped her water bottle. And during Kermit's end speech she was telling her dad that she wanted to go... So yeah. It's wonderful to expose children of such a young age to the Muppets, but...yeah...I'm just glad I saw it already last night. :smile:

(We did have a conversation on the car ride home about how her favorite is Kermit, which was lovely.)

beaker

Reaction score
  • They make this a modern comedy, in terms of cuts etc, though they maintain the classic Muppet humor. I applaud you Segel/Stoller.
  • Fozzie is adorable in this, and I for one love the new Puppet.
  • I'm okay with Rizzo not being in it, though Robin should have been featured with Kermit. Maybe living with Kermit or something.
  • Subtitles from the Chef and Camilla wasn't really necessary but kind of funny.
I agree about the Robin thing. I think its very unfortunate Rizzo, Robin and Pepe are pretty much MIA.

I felt the 'modern' cuts were unfortunate. The first three Muppet films are perfect because they feel natural, organic. Sure theres a couple fourth wall breaking moments, but its not so out of place and jarring like whats seen here

I actually loved the Camilla subtitles but thought the Richman rap substitles were distracting.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Quick question: Rowlf, at the end of the film, is wearing a hat. For some reason the picture really stuck out to me. Is this paying homage to something in the past? I feel like it's referencing something, but I can't put my finger on it... or is it just Rowlf wearing a spiffy hat?

beaker

Reaction score
I forgot about the subtitles when I was writing it up last night! I just back from seeing it a second time, and the subtitles for both Camilla and Swedish Chef still got me to laugh out loud. And Rowlf's bit where the found him (ie. his montage bit) is probably my favorite part of the entire film. As Rowlf said "Classic".

I have a bit of advice for all of you: if you plan on going to see The Muppets with a three year old, be warned, your attention from the movie is going to be a little... distracted. I guess I should have expected this, but it's been a while since I've been around children that young. During Pictures In My Head? My cousin decided she wanted to show me how should could count to ten. During Walter's speech to Kermit? My cousin dropped her water bottle. And during Kermit's end speech she was telling her dad that she wanted to go... So yeah. It's wonderful to expose children of such a young age to the Muppets, but...yeah...I'm just glad I saw it already last night. :smile:

(We did have a conversation on the car ride home about how her favorite is Kermit, which was lovely.)
So glad ya got to see it last night, and Im excited to read your review. Man, didnt that opening scene feel like an emotional gut punch? Thats the closest Ive come to tears in a long time, felt overcome by goosebumps...i mean it perfectly captures both the magic and nostalgia we feel and the whole Muppets beging forgotten. When you see Walter say "but..." and the camera reveals Kermit I almost just lost it. Same with the Rainbow connection. I think thats why I felt so depressed afterwards, as this was such a personal movie to me and it made me very sad with how they had been forgotten and things didnt work out in the end. (tho they kind of did in a way)

Its so weird...my family says when I was 0-5, I was insanely well behaved at the movies. Another reason I need to see the Muppets again soon, as the experience was seriously dampened by this out of control bratty 4 year old next to me...I felt like telling the mom to take him out to the lobby. He was like that during the entire movie, ugh. It doesnt make sense...why would kids act like that during a muppet film? I was in awe of every movie I saw. But a muppet film? I saw Muppets Take Manhattan opening weekend when I was little and was in total awe. I saw MTM again in theaters 2 years ago in a sold out theater of mostly kids, and they were all well behaved and loving it.

I mean I was taken to see Cocoon and On Golden Pond, certainly not fun filled movies for toddlers. ET scared the living crap out of me(not ET the character, but the final act)but I was perfectly still and good.
Speaking of ET, that Halloween costume scene..."what is this, 1979?"

I wanna give Jason a big hug and handshake and tell him thank you a million times over. Maybe it took an outsider to get things back to glory

beaker

Reaction score
Quick question: Rowlf, at the end of the film, is wearing a hat. For some reason the picture really stuck out to me. Is this paying homage to something in the past? I feel like it's referencing something, but I can't put my finger on it... or is it just Rowlf wearing a spiffy hat?
Hmm, there may be some significance attached to the performers or writers...but there's a quiet sort of wisdom and magic to Rowlf...I consider him the true gatekeeper and Gandolf of the muppets at time, as much as people think Kermit fills the role. Rowlf is like that old bluesplayer who doesnt talk much, but when he does you get a grand sense of awe

I was very very "meh" on the ending...it woulda been nice if they woulda had an after credits scene or ending scene of Beauregard or a celeb in the empty theater going "whered everyone go?" The song at the end feels a bit forced...the celeb mahna mahna was cool tho

dwmckim

Reaction score
Basically Rowlf's "outside" clothing. You'll notice a lot of the cast were in coats/hats etc as they made their exit outside.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Okay. That makes sense. It just struck me as something I had seen before, but I guess it was in my mind.