Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Frogster

Reaction score
Completely agree with the above comments. Maybe this was done purposefully. Gonzo and Rizzo aren't the leads. And yeah, I've been saying since before the movie came out that they should have just called this The Muppet Show Movie. Scooter (during the TMS years) had a bigger role on the show than Gonzo.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
Obviously., I am a die-hard Muppet fanatic. Seeing The Muppets last night in the theater reminded me why. When I heard that one of the stars from my favorite sitcom was making a Muppet-comeback movie, I was ecstatic, then skeptical. The Muppets are a huge name, and 12 years had gone by since people had really seen them in their glory. Don't get me wrong, I watch and love the recent Christmas specials every year, and the bits on the Disney Channel are always entertaining, but the fuzzy phenomenon has not been seen by an entire generation of children. Making a comeback would be a huge task.

Not only did I enjoy my time in the theater seats watching The Muppets, but I enjoyed my time before and after the movie as well. I was hearing bits and pieces of conversations of people from early childhood to their fifties and sixties. Such conversations I heard were the tales of Yale University having a special room dedicated to airing The Muppet Show every week, and how everyone would crowd in to watch, to little kids asking for the other Kermit movies and toys from Santa Claus soming up. The Muppets are as alive and thriving as ever, and you all had a fantastic part in bringing back the magic. Sitting in the theater, I could not wipe the dopey grin off my face from enjoyment. And my friends who I attended the movie with, none of whom are as die-hard as I am, thought the movie was fantastic as well.

I understand that these performers are, for the most part, the new generation of Muppet performers who bring these characters to life, yet they are the same as they have always been. Nobody would have guessed that The Muppets had taken a more-than-a-decade hiatus from the big screen, featuring many new performers as the characters we know and love, and new characters joining them, but they all were like greeting an old friend who looks better with age, each of them individually. This movie is fantastic. It is the perfect blend of old and new characters as well as the same feel of the classic Muppets so many have grown up with. I, being only 16, haven't "grown up" with the Muppets of the Jim, Frank, and Richard-era, but I have seen their work from early on. All the movies, DVD-released television shows, and holiday specials are up on my shelf. These are the Muppets that so many know, yet this movie is the start of the new generation of Muppets and the new generation of Muppet viewers. And this movie ranks high on mine and many others' lists.

I just wanted to say thank you to Jason Segel, Disney, the Muppeteers, the actors, the crew, the puppet builders (especially those who reincarnated old favorites! THOG!), the creative team, and everyone involved for allowing me to continue with my obsession, and doing it in such a fantastic way. You all are so amazing, and someday I hope I will be able to join you. I will be back in the theater with more friends, to show them how the Muppets are alive and well.

Go see the movie. You will be glad you did. The Muppets are still on top.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
To add to my above comments: So many people are picking all the tiniest flaws out of this movie, likely because the film could never live up to the amazing expectations we set for it throughout this time of Muppet Domination. That's fine, but I'm a little bit more simple. The Muppets are acting like themselves in this movie. They are the Muppets, the same that they always had been. Truly, the movie lived up to my expectations. I was moved, I laughed, and I had a ridiculous smile on just seeing by beloved childhood (and current day) pals back where they belong: on top.

Frogster

Reaction score
Agreed, Spinney... it was pretty amazing. Plus, the more you pick apart something, the more the value decreases.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I just wanna say that the local theater we tried to go to had Muppet decor all over the front lobby and the screening we wanted was sold out. At 2:30 in the afternoon! I have no doubt this will be a success.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I'm just throwing in my two cents on Gonzo. Personally? I would have loved more Gonzo. I get that they were focusing on the big TMS characters, but Gonzo has been such an important character in the past. Yes, the last twenty years he's really stepped up and taken on a much larger role, but even back in TMM he had a much bigger role than he did in this film. He really only had two scenes, a bit in 'Pictures', and one gag. All of his parts were great, I just could have personally used a bit more of my favorite blue weirdo.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I would have liked to see more of Gonzo too, but, despite being a huge fan of the weirdo, I didn't really miss him. This was an ensemble pic, and I loved seeing EVERYBODY onscreen, interacting just as they should rather than the top six merchandisable characters getting 80% of the screentime.

12Medbe

Reaction score
I would have liked to see more of Gonzo too, but, despite being a huge fan of the weirdo, I didn't really miss him. This was an ensemble pic, and I loved seeing EVERYBODY onscreen, interacting just as they should rather than the top six merchandisable characters getting 80% of the screentime.
I would've loved seeing more Gonzo, perhaps a bit more of Statler and Waldorf, I would've loved to see them heckle an act. Otherwise, the movie is perfection.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed the picture as a whole. A solid B effort.

They did appear to gut some key plot points (whether included in the novelization or not) that would have lent more credibility to the characters' motivations and more cohesion to the plot. I wonder why they chose those elements to delete while some scenes could have used some trimming. I hope they have an uncut version that includes all the edited material for the uber fan. I wanted to see Wanda Sykes, Ricky Gervais and Kathy Griffen!

Kermit may have been a bit too somber, but it works here. He and Miss Piggy have taken on a maturity while maintaining true to their character. I love that. Fozzie is second banana again as it should be! Gonzo is missed, but shines in his scenes. Scooter sounds pitch perfect! He is a shining example of an honorable recast. More Scooter please! Oooh, and Uncle Deadly too! Yes, and the Mayhem could have been included more - why the frog didn't they just have them cover "We Built This City" rather than the lipsinching?

Now to Walter. Fans know what a gamble he is. Muppets are born over a process of trial and error that requires workshopping and exposure. Poor Walter was thrust upon us without the benefit of any of that and he still really shines. He is all of us. He does a wonderful job and I really like his spiffy goggles in the cleaning scene.

So did I like it? Yes! Did I think it could have been better? Well, yeah...it could have been a lot better, but it really didn't need to be. This is the movie that sets the stage for the future of the Muppets and on that measure it delivers 100%.

I welcome the Muppets back to the cineplex with wild, flailing Kermity arms. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!