Your Thoughts: Studio DC Hosted by Selena Gomez

What did you think of Studio DC Hosted by Selena Gomez?

• I loved Studio DC.

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Studio DC was good.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • Studio DC was just so-so.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • I disliked Studio DC.

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters

theprawncracker

Reaction score
An update to Dwayne's list with a few extras added in...

Steve Whitmire: Kermit the Frog, Rizzo the Rat, Beaker, Statler

Bill Barretta: Pepe the King Prawn, Dr. Teeth, The Swedish Chef, Rowlf, Bobo

Dave Goelz: Gonzo, Zoot, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Waldorf

Eric Jacobson: Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, Sam Eagle

David Rudman: Scooter, Janice

Jerry Nelson: (dubbed) Floyd Pepper

D'Snowth said:
If The Muppets were going to make a comeback, this sure did kill them even more than Disney has already killed them!
Sorry Snowthy... I really don't see where you're coming from with this one. :smirk:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
An update to Dwayne's list with a few extras added in...

Steve Whitmire: Kermit the Frog, Rizzo the Rat, Beaker

Bill Barretta: Pepe the King Prawn, Dr. Teeth, The Swedish Chef, Rowlf

Dave Goelz: Gonzo, Zoot, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew

Eric Jacobson: Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, Sam Eagle

David Rudman: Scooter, Janice

Jerry Nelson: (dubbed) Floyd Pepper

Sorry Snowthy... I really don't see where you're coming from with this one. :smirk:
Thanks i was kind of lazy on that list! lol

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Has anyone found this complete programme on you tube, as a fan outside the USA its the only way I can get to see it as I had to with the first one!

Please post a link if you know of the complete show, there are several clips but I cant find the whole show?

Thanks

Chris

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm in the minority on this, but I didn't like this one any better than the first one. To me it's just not The Muppets. It's not the humor and tone that we all associate with the Muppet Show, or even Muppets Tonight.

Now having said that, I also realize that a) this is an early effort by Disney to get the Muppets back up and running, so there might be some rust in the gears that they're working out, and b) this wasn't made for my age group. I'm way far out of who Studio DC was supposed to appeal to.

Still, though, I think there's something we as fans and viewers pick up on and really enjoy when we sense that the performers are really into what they're doing. I don't get that sense watching SDCAL. Even in this second one - which I'll concede was a bit of an improvement - it felt like okay, we've gone through the motions, we've performed what's in the script, that's a wrap, let's go home. There was no life, no feeling in it. Maybe it's just me. After all, I am old :smile:
Studio DC is really just a commercial and nothing much more.

The second “special” didn't merely stuff the Muppets between all of those quick jarring cuts; they actually got some breathing room to be Muppets (albeit not that funny, it’s like watching the Muppets make a sandwich or go to the dry cleaners where nothing really happens).

The script wasn’t great, but everyone involved this time appeared to be having a better time than the first DC. This is really nothing more than target advertising - a Disney Channel programming infomercial featuring the Muppets. I wish it could have been funnier or better produced, but it didn’t have to be. We already have that production value with the YouTube, Muppets.com and NBC special.

I think DC reflects more poorly on the state of young people today than as an affront on the Muppets. Youth oriented programming is so watered down and dull than way back when I was a kid and this infoMuppetmercial appears to be right in line with all the Disney Channel has to offer. Hopefully it will inspire its viewers to step out of the box and actually search out a classic like Caper or the Muppet Show. :smile:

Gonzo14

Reaction score
the first special is on youtube (the whole thing), but so far the second one only has clips of certain scenes (i missed it myself, so i've been looking for it too)

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Jim Lewis actually revealed that it WAS David Rudman performing Scooter, and if you listen close enough, Scooter sounds almost exactly like Baby Bear only deeper and sans the lisp.
Where did Jim Lewis say that, Ry? I'd like to read more about this.

Okay, okay; first I have questions, and if someone could please answer them, I'd really really appreciate it.

1. Are we positive that was Jerry doing Floyd? I rewound his short lines on both this one and the last one and couldn't tell, but I was just so hopeful he was a part of this in some way. I ask because it wouldn't be the first time Wikipedia was wrong. Actually, I guess the biggest question, is just how retired is Jerry? Man, it'd be just fantastic if he was able to voiceover everything if he can't puppeteer and be a creative consultant or something.

2. I asked this last time with no answer, but are they using a new type of arm rod or digitally removing them? They're so... invisible!

My nit-picks/tweaks
I didn't feel the chemistry between all the DC kids and the Muppets was in place here.

You want it to feel more like a new Muppet Show? GIVE US MORE MUPPETS! Have AMs walking around in the background, more obscure Muppets just hanging out, why are Statler & Waldorf the only Muppets in the "audience"? They don't have to speak, just face time.

Where's Bunsen? I love Beaker, but he can only be by himself now? Dave is still around! There is no good reason ol' melon head can't show up.

And I was thinking the same thing about Gonzo, actually! I don't know what it was... but it didn't seem like Dave, you're right. Maybe it had to do with the new-ish Gonzo puppet? I dunno, but Gonzo WAS much better in this one than the first.
I've been feeling this way for awhile myself. I understand the character has matured, I just wish he'd cut loose more.

My LOVES
Scooter... ho-lee poop. I got chills all over, it was euphoric.

I couldn't breathe laughing so hard at the Beaker/Demi L. duet.

Bill is doing great with Dr. Teeth. I hope we see Rowlf soon.

Some fun gags, and fun skits. Eric's Fozzie and Animal are just getting closer and closer to Franks and his actual puppetry is becoming much more fluid.

I don't know if I'm in the minority on this, but I didn't like this one any better than the first one.
Okay, this brings up a great point here: I admit, I'm one of the few, that at the very least, felt the first Studio DC was at best hopeful. I didn't love it, but I liked it. Same with this one, and I think what is baffling me, is the extreme oposite reaction to this episode from last. Was it really that different? It was okay, but I think that saying this one is SO much better then the first is a huge stretch for me. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, I certainly appreciate it for what it is, I think it's a step in the right direction, but it was the same thing as the first, they didn't break any new ground here.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Where did Jim Lewis say that, Ry? I'd like to read more about this.
...Okay, so I think I lied. Haha. He did, however, say (albeit not directly) that Rudman was providing the voice of Janice.
From the Ask Jim Lewis Thread...
(on the subject of Janice’s performer in Studio DC: Almost Live!)
So we have 2 [votes] for David Rudman and 1 for Matt Vogel. That would almost be my second guesses if I really thought about it hard enough.
(Can you shed any light?)

I would vote with the majority.
Soooo... yeah, not sure about Scooter, but it appears Rudman did perform Janice, and if you listen close enough I think Scooter was definitely a Rudman performance too.

1. Are we positive that was Jerry doing Floyd? I rewound his short lines on both this one and the last one and couldn't tell, but I was just so hopeful he was a part of this in some way. I ask because it wouldn't be the first time Wikipedia was wrong. Actually, I guess the biggest question, is just how retired is Jerry? Man, it'd be just fantastic if he was able to voiceover everything if he can't puppeteer and be a creative consultant or something.
We're not positive... but again, from the Ask Jim Lewis Thread...
And one more tiny little thing that's been bothering me... In the first "Studio DC: Almost Live," who performed Floyd and Janice? Do you know? Can you share? I heard a rumor that Jerry Nelson came back to dub Floyd's line. And also, if you can share, who performs Scooter in the next special? Thanks Jim
I’m not sure on Floyd (though I’m pretty sure you’re right)…and as for Janice. I know, but not sure I can say. Check the credits, figure it out and I bet you’ll guess right.
So... there's that. :stick_out_tongue:

2. I asked this last time with no answer, but are they using a new type of arm rod or digitally removing them? They're so... invisible!
I noticed this too! ! I was AMAZED that there were no rods on Floyd, no rods on Piggy, no rods on Kermit texting... AMAZED! They MUST be digitally removing them! I have no idea HOW... but they must be!

My nit-picks/tweaks
I didn't feel the chemistry between all the DC kids and the Muppets was in place here.

You want it to feel more like a new Muppet Show? GIVE US MORE MUPPETS! Have AMs walking around in the background, more obscure Muppets just hanging out, why are Statler & Waldorf the only Muppets in the "audience"? They don't have to speak, just face time.

Where's Bunsen? I love Beaker, but he can only be by himself now? Dave is still around! There is no good reason ol' melon head can't show up.

I basically agree with you on all parts here, Dave. The chemistry was kind of off... but I think it was better than the first one (although, Miss Piggy and London had pretty good chemistry going). Demi and Beaker DEFINITELY had chemistry. THAT was amazing. I think David Henrie could've been better... same with the rest of the Wizards cast. And... uch. Don't get me started on The Cheetah Girls.

More Muppets are definitely needed--and I think they see that. We saw an increase of Muppets in this special. We got Fozzie, Beaker, Scooter, Camilla, penguins, and rats--which was awesome. And pictures from the new Christmas special allude to the fact that we'll be seeing a LOT more Muppets.

Once again, agreed. I miss good ol' Dr. 'dew, but I think he'll be around later. It didn't really make sense for him to be in the sketch with Beaker this time around.

My LOVES
Scooter... ho-lee poop. I got chills all over, it was euphoric.

I couldn't breathe laughing so hard at the Beaker/Demi L. duet.

Bill is doing great with Dr. Teeth. I hope we see Rowlf soon.

Some fun gags, and fun skits. Eric's Fozzie and Animal are just getting closer and closer to Franks and his actual puppetry is becoming much more fluid.
Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Scooter was AMAZING. He and Dr. Teeth nearly sent me into a mess of tears of joy.

Beaker kicked some major butt. He stole the show right out from everyone else. I think we'll be seeing big, big things from him.

Eric is AWESOME. His Miss Piggy is basically perfect, Fozzie IS perfect (I think), and Animal is... Animal. His Sam is in top form, and I think Eric doesn't get nearly enough credit for all of the amazing work he does. Rock on Eric! :cool:

And yeah, Dave, I really, really did think this one was leagues over the previous one. More Muppets, a PLOT, better jokes, more chemistry... I loved this one, seriously, and only liked the first one. But again, just my opinion!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I hate not having cable TV! I wish I could have seen the new Studio DC. Did anybody record it?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
They have been taking the Arm rods out with CGI ever since MFS. If you listen to the Brian Henson commentary on MTI he talks brifly about it. They are even doing it on the Muppets.com videos. The question I have is is how the heck did they do Piggys arms like that? Wow Kermit and Piggy can really dance, I had no idea.