Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 37

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks... Will be awaiting the new episodes. And thanks to you guys...
Yeah, was thinking of "Lucille" with Hoots and Rosita.
Guess I was wrong then, Buster's one of Marty's characters then.

Talk to you next week.

DTWolf

Reaction score
Telly and Freddy

Personally I was really impressed with the way they had Telly so concerned about Freddy's feelings. I was ALWAYS that way with certain stuffed animals and other toys (not all of them, just the special ones). I never wanted them to feel left out and I worried that one might be heartbroken if I played too much with another. I knew they weren't alive and weren't experiencing emotions, but at the same time I felt compelled to treat them like they were. I felt guilty if I didn't treat them right.

Uh-oh . . . the next time I'm at my parents' house I may have to take a few of the old animals home with me. . . . Poor things! Stuck in a box upstairs so long. . . .

ssetta

Reaction score
In case you didn't know, that song "See You Tomorrow" Bob sang to Big Bird was actually an old song from the 70s. It was on the album What Time Is It On Sesame Street?

DTWolf

Reaction score
Prairie's Food Pageant

Yay Sesame Street!!
- for giving us another musical play by Prairie Dawn!! Double Yay!! It wasn't as good as the classic plays she did, but I'm overjoyed to see this anyway, and I really hope there will be more.
- for showing the Ernie "Plants can grow high . . ." song again. Always a treat.

Boo Sesame Street!!
- for, um, actually, just the usual stuff I normally wouldn't mention: Elmo's World, the "Party Line" dance number (I still can't figure out why that one boy has a mohawk--scary).

Whine!!
The letter of the day was A. Would it have been too much to ask to show the rhyming ape story from the 1980s in which the gorilla escapes the zoo and goes to a birthday party? ("into a bale--a bale of hay-ay-ay!")

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts for today...

Episode 4122: Prairie Dawn's Healthy Foods Pageant.
First off, my station cut off the "You Never Know Who You'll Meet on Sesame Street!" bit today.

The street story simply opens with Prairie starting off the pageant. Man, that brings back memories. Prairie needs to practice a bit more though, she sounded a little out of tune, and so did the piano when she tried reaching the high notes.
*Sorry Kathy, hope I'm not out of line.
One thing I found odd was that Prairie was saying who was playing what role: "Here's Zoe dressed like a potato."
Uh, that's rully unnecessary, would've prefered it if she just said what food was singing in the play next.

Gabi was backstage helping out the monsters get their costumes... Rully liked that, shades of Scooter at the theater in TMS.
Zoe was on first as the potato, followed by Rosita as a tortilla.
Luis and Big Bird were the most notable faces out in the audience for the pageant.
Points to Sesame Street for having Rosita sing her verse in Spanish and having it all rhyme, though they need to work on the rhyme scheme for the translation.
Telly was on after that, nervous of going on stage because he had never tried asparaguses before. Gabi called to Miles to see if Alan had any, she got a serving, and Telly thrilled at the new taste. He went out and delivered his performance.
Elmo was last, holding up the play because he couldn't remember where he left his broccoli costume. There was a flashback shot of him at Oscar's can and at the piano when Prairie was rehearsing her lines, before Elmo showed up next to her to get the brown paper bag with his costume inside.
Fully dressed, Elmo came out to sing his part of the play, just before everybody came out for the final chorus.

The funny little bit was seeing Telly ham it up as the asparagus, guess Marty was indeed keeping alive the possible nod to his benefactor, Miss Carol Burnnette.

Highlights.
1 Weird operatic segment, mostly background non-lyric vocals.
Didn't understand what it was.
2 Nathan Lane and the Oinker Sisters with their version of "Sing!".
3 Letter of the Day: A, repeat where Cookie Monster and Prairie debate how to say "apricot" before Cookie eats the letter.
4 Soul A animated song.
5 A for Action film segment.
6 A: A-A-Achoo animated segment.
7 Healthy Food of the Day: Potato, sung by Jerry.
8 Prairie Dawn interviewing Jack Be Nimble and Mom Be Nimble about breakfast for Nursery Rhyme News, saw this one last season.
9 Segment (animation/computer either/or) where a girl talks about how different things like kids and horses and birds need different types of "Energy".
10 Vintage Song: "How Things Grow" with Jim as Farmer Ernie, Jerry as the Potato, Kevin as the Beet, Richard as the Lettuce, and probably Camille as the Tomato.
11 Come On and Play: Liked the Octopus Dance song they started with, loathe the annoying Party Line bit that followed it.
12 Global Grover: French Grocery Shopping, repeat.
Funny how Grover ends up as a basket case with the produce taking him home to their grandmother.
13 Wegmen Dogs: Jack Sprat.
14 Number of the Day: 13, New segment where the Count counts how many times a kid named Michael pushed a girl named Itzania (SP?) on the tire swing to get up to 13 swings.
15 Kids counting up to 13, with different sound effects, didn't rully understand this one either.
16 Animated Song: "Thirteen's My Lucky Number."
17 Animated bit, this is the one with the light blue walkway and a sort of marching music as different things come out, each with a number up to the particular number of the day.
If anyone saw this segment and can help, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me about all the different characters that appeared marching along the walkway.
18 Elmo's World: Skin, repeat from last season.
Good that they kept the end line where the Chameleon asks if Elmo and/or the Book know "Rainbow Connection."
19 Trash Gordon: Planet Vacation, New!
Funny how Oscar got upset with the fact that it was a happy chapter for Trash Gordon.

BEAR

Reaction score
Hey, Ed! I DID catch Bob's lullabye to Big Bird and was so thrilled! The biggest thing worth watching in that entire episode for me. Also, very refreshing to hear Bob's singing as a feature again. I've actually heard the song before off of one of Bob McGrath's recordings, but never seen it on the show before. It was quite touching and gave me a warm feeling inside to know that the Bird is still being taken care of. A beautiful, BEAUTIFUL scene! I'd like to see more stuff like that.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh good. BTW: You wouldn't know about the marching count from today's episode would you? Looking for info on that particular segment.

BEAR

Reaction score
Sorry, Ed. Unfortunately, my local PBS stations have been very bizarre in their scheduling lately. The new episodes have not been airing when they are supposed to and I think the schedule has changed. It has been very confusing to say the least. So, each day when I turn on the tv to catch an episode, I don't really know for sure if it is going to be a new one or a rerun from last season. It's weird. Today, it was the Superhero School episode on both airings.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Episode 4122: Prairie Dawn's Healthy Foods Pageant.
First off, my station cut off the "You Never Know Who You'll Meet on Sesame Street!" bit today.
Yeah. That usually happens during pledge drive months. My station didn't even air that ep today. (At least not that I know off. Unless the TV listings for my local station are incorrect) Maybe they figure that if they're going to cut parts out of the new ones, why bother showing them. Though the healthy foods pagent sounds like a good one. I hope I get a chance to see it again.