Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 37

DTF

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
My PBS also changed the time on me. I thought it was spoused to be at 8 and it was at 7 then at 10. I missed the whole episode. I've been missing a bunch of the new episodes. But I know I'll get to see them sometime soon. Can't wait for tomorrow's episode. Three Bears in Space.

PS: One thing I don't know is "What about Curly Bear?" Hope she's mention.
That was cute - it's nice to see them trying to do a story like that, instead of just one person writing and telling it. Reminds me of when i was a kid and we'd take turns telling part of a story.

As for Curly Bear, it does make sense that she should hve been at least mentioned, but I think even Baby Bear might say to himself thta she's too young to be an astronaut. Would have been nice to have him mention it, though. maybe someone says they want a part and he can't think of a way to put her in, then he says, "Wait - you can stay home and be Curly's babysitter."

It was kind of a catch-22 becasue they try to be inclusive of all kids, too, though. So, maybe they figured it would be unfair to say she was too young for the story. And if kids wonder, they figured the viewers would just assume that she had a sitter.

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
I must say today's episode had about an equal amount of High Points and low points. I liked the fact that they brought back Telly's Doll Freddy. He hasn't been around since the early 90's. But the storyline was kind of dull with Baby Bear and Zoe. It would have been better to see Telly and his doll with Oscar, or Big Bird, or even one of the Sesame Street humans. I liked the fact that they used a Muppet sketch during number of the day. I think that's something they should do more often, instead of always showing those Live action Films about numbers. It was good to see that classic Fat Blue sketch again about Pizzeria Dos. That's one of the only times I remember seeing Fat Blue without Grover.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. These Telly and Baby Bear eps always get kind of boring. I didn't like that they had so many of them last season. They seemed to be improving on that. I did like seeing Telly's doll Freddy. I remember him in the doctor sketch years ago. I didn't see the Fat Blue sketch, so I can't really comment on that one.

I liked the fact that they used a Muppet sketch during number of the day.
Crap. I missed that one too. What happened in it?

Yeah, I would like to see more humans. I mean, Trash Gordon is a good way to get Gordon in every ep (aside from voice overs, I mean). Maybe, they should have some other variations. They could bring back Senor Zero (Luis) or some kind of Wonder Woman (Maria). Food for thought. I guess it would be better to see humans in the street stories instead of that.

I also think it's a bit interesting that everyone else, other than Elmo, tends to treat Rocco like a pet rather than a rock. If that's the case, he must be the one with problems. Elmo, rather than Rocco, I mean.

I really liked Little Richard's version of "Rubber Duckie" though.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I did like the Bob and Big Bird skit with Bob putting Big Bird to bed by singing him a lullaby to Big Bird. I've alwayed loved Bob and Big Bird's skits or scenes on the street. Also Eric did another character in Elmo's world. Or that is he did a character in Elmo's world. He did a Tiger. Which you could tell his voice being that it sounded like Grover/Piggy's voice put together to make a voice for that Tiger. I was glad to see Freddy back with Telly again. And knowing that Elmo wasn't there to put down poor Rocko the rock. But Baby Bear kept telling Telly that Freddy was a doll. It made Telly look like a baby or something just because he talked to Freddy like a real person. I kind of hated that part. Poor Telly. I enjoyed all of it. Can't wait for more to come.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
I didn't have time yesterday to watch Wednesday's episode, (collage is evil) so I'll be talking about both yesterday and today's episode.

This was cuter than I thought it would be. I was actually interested in how the story would turn out, and liked the suggestions Zoe and Big Bird made. Only downside was the echo every time Baby Bear said space. WAY overused. Though it was mildly amusing when the echo didn't work at the end and they made their own. What I don't get is why he didn't put Curly Bear in the story.

Loved the Bert version of "In my Book". Plus the part at the end with Bert being startled at all the storybook characters was very funny. Nice to see a really funny new Bert and Ernie sketch. I haven't enjoyed a lot of the new ones very much. (I know it's from last season, but I've never seen it before.)

I am SO sick of that pattern sketch in "What's the Game Today?" Can that possibly be anymore condescending? At least they used a hexagon this time. At least that wasn't quite as condisending...

This had to be the most boring Global Grover ever. They really seem to reaching for material. I also fail to see the educational vale in it.

I'd never seen the number of the day song all the way to 20 before. It sure was nice not to hear her yell "STOP!" for once. It makes the song pretty enjoyable. It was also great to see the postage stamp up to 20 again. I always loved the postage stamp sketches.

I was a disappointed in Telly's part in Elmo's World. All that for a tiny triangle? You can't even use that much wood or a hammer to make that! It was obviously carved. I did, however, enjoy the "Hammer time" reference. I didn't expect them to reference 90's pop culture so soon, but it sure was nice to hear a reference from something that's nostalgic to me, instead of something from before I was born. I always liked that song...

First of all, I can't believe we actually saw Freddy again! That sure was a nice blast from the past. Hope this means they'll be using him more. Liked the rest of the story. Nice to see Zoe get reminded how unintentionally mean she can be sometimes.

Ok, someone goofed. When we got the healthy food scene changer, the next clip was some claymation of someone turning their hair into various hairstyles. Not that I didn't mind not getting a healthy thing for once. They've really over done that lately. The kids eating a healthy snack in the street story was enough healthy food for me.

Great Fat Blue sketch. I hope they keep showing these. Nice change of pace.

My favorite part had to be Bob singing Big Bird a lullaby. So sweet. Big "Awwww" moment for me. Reminded me of the old days.

Does anyone know what Trash Gordon aired today? Since I used the same tape from Wednesday, it ran out of room and it cut out after the lion and mouse story was over in Elmo's World.

DTF

Reaction score
The Little Richard thing was just comical to me, I didn't have any opinion good or bad of it. But...

It did remind me of something I suggested that a friend put into a "FUll House" fan fic a while back. I love wholesome family shows like that, and writing little fics in my spare time for those.. For those who don't know, one of the guys, Uncle Jesse, is a huge rock and roll freak, when his brother-in-law lost his wife, Jesse's sister, he moves in to help raise the girls. But, it's presumed he's helped babysit before, if unwillingly.

So, I had this scene in my fic where they're reminiscing about something, and Jesse's talking about babysitting the oldest girl, D.J., when she was about 4 or so. And, they start talking about how D.J. kept insisting he play some kids' songs, so Jesse wound up doing this wild, rock and roll version of "Rubber Duckie."

When i pictured it for that story, it sounded much like Little Richard's. Not good or bad, just comical.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... Now that we've reached the half-way point of the season...

The hype machine overdid it again: last year it was the whole "Cookie Monster's giving up cookie and will start eating more healthily" that blew up in their faces, this time around it was the blitz promotin the addition of Abby Cadaby.
Only two episodes so far for the fairy godchild in training.
Not rully surprised.

They've done some clever parodies: Law & Order, Special Letters Unit, and The Man of La Muncha...
But I feel they haven't given their Dinner Theater sketches the full parodical potential they could've had.

We've gotten good classics and a mix of new segments.
Frank's still voicing his three main characters from time to time, that bodes very well for us SS fans.
Something that worries me though, other than the Spanish Word of the Day: Good Night/Buenas Noches, and the E-mail where she and Snuffy made a house out of boxes and blankets in Elmo's World: Building Things, we've not rully seen that much of Rosita this season.
Case in point, not sure, but it seems to me she was edited out of the Little Richard version of "Rubber Duckie", unless that was another song she appeared in with the singer and Hoots.

Also... They need to go back into the vaults and bring out classic sketches for the letter and number sponsors. Seems a shame all we got for J was the animated song "Jumpin' With The Letter J".

But there's still another thirteen episodes left before this season ends, and I'm looking forward to each one with an open mind ready to review them all and post my thoughts here.

Drtooth

Reaction score
DTWolf said:
- for airing the animated lion version of "Dance Myself to Sleep" instead of the original Ernie version. The lion version isn't as good, and the original is brilliant and spectacular . . . but the lion version isn't awful. I don't hate it, unlike many other remakes. For a remake of a wonderful song that shouldn't be remade, this is all right. And it gets points in my book for taking the risk of adding "sexy-legged" sheep; contemporary Sesame Street tends to be far too sanitized and unwilling to employ the irreverence so characteristic of Jim Henson.
Well... it's not so much they used an animated reworking of the song so much as I think it's the weakest of Sally Cruikshank's animations. Now... I know myself that digital animation is a LOT easier, faster, and more cost effective way of animationg things, but I've always thought her work looked much better cel animated. Digital doesn't work for her style. It's just way too stiff.

But besides that, a few things of note. Making refference to No Doll Left Behind goes to show even Sesame is getting political. Not a big fan of you know who (you know who NOT being Telly BTW), but I wonder what's gonna happen when he's out of office and they can't make any jokes about the next president. I can't wait to find out... for obvious reasons.

I've noticed they've used way too much repeat stuff. I know that they're trying to save money and everything, but they're using the stuff we've suffered the last 5 months through and have seen a billion times already.

Now, The Tiger on Elmo's world... I'm absolutely glad that Eric Jacobson finally had a character that wasn't someone else's. I feel he does a great job of all the characters he was recast, but he really needs to get out and stretch and immerge (sp?) as his own puppetmaster.

>>The hype machine overdid it again: last year it was the whole "Cookie Monster's giving up cookie and will start eating more healthily" that blew up in their faces, this time around it was the blitz promotin the addition of Abby Cadaby.
Only two episodes so far for the fairy godchild in training.
Not rully surprised.<<

That can be said for 2 reasons. A) they are just trying to intergrate the character without her being on every single episode, so as she's not more overbearing and annoying than she already is or B) (the most likely) they can't really find a place for her yet, and like every other female role after Zoe and Rosita, they plan to slowly phase her out and just let her fade into Lulu/Google/Pheobe/Elizabeth/Biff's Daughter limbo.

Personally, I can wait years before I can see that annoying little pest again.

>>They've done some clever parodies: Law & Order, Special Letters Unit, and The Man of La Muncha...
But I feel they haven't given their Dinner Theater sketches the full parodical potential they could've had.<<

I've only seen 2, and I felt they were pretty good. Not quite as tight as Law and Order, tho... SOme times they are too the letter a satirical jib at the show, sometimes they are a gag in title only. That's why Breakfast Club held no interresting bits for me... also they advertised the dang thing as one of those skits. Problem is, they must have more satirical jibs coming, but they'll be spaced out like last year. And I have a feeling we'll have to wait longer if SW or PBS decides to devide the season into 2 parts again.

>>Case in point, not sure, but it seems to me she was edited out of the Little Richard version of "Rubber Duckie", unless that was another song she appeared in with the singer and Hoots.<<

Definately a different song. Rosita NEVER appeared in that skit... she appeared in "Rosita" a parody of the song "Lucille." Hope that clears it up.

>>Also... They need to go back into the vaults and bring out classic sketches for the letter and number sponsors. Seems a shame all we got for J was the animated song "Jumpin' With The Letter J".<<

I feel that if they need to reuse skits (this goes back to the "In my Room" Ernie song) they could at the very least use GOOD ones. Whoever animates those and SW must be good partners.... they seem to air a lot of their crap.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Count said:
Hmmm... Not sure Ilikemuppets. Always thought Jerry voiced Buster, but you might be right.
As far as I know, Jerry Nelson has never performed Buster. Kevin Clash originally performed him for a brief time, and then Martin Robinson took over, and has performed Buster since.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
abiraniriba said:
ATG was the planet of shoes again.
Thanks. Glad I didn't miss a new one.

The Count said:
5 Some sort of segment I didn't rully understand because it was more visual than auditively dialogued.
Not sure what this segment was, but I think that Sesame has retained rights to and airs from time to time those segments with the green and orange claymation men originally from Eureeka's Castle.
If you heard the scene changer music before it, then it was the claymation one I mentioned where an orange person keeps changing his/her hairstyles with a comb. Pretty boring, but I'll take it over healthy food stuff any day.

The Count said:
So, hopefully someone will come in and tell us what days to watch out for next week.
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday once again.