Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 37

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive! Just finished watching, here's my thoughts.

Episode 4109: Abby Cadaby Moves to Sesame Street.
The street story plays out much like the episode guide posted here stated.
Oscar at the beginning... Good to start off the day with some grouchiness.
Fairy Wings and Miss Fairy Tale... Classic Oscar.

She meets Big Bird, Snuffy, plays hide and seek with them and Elmo and Zoe, and then...
Yaey! My namesake showed up to teach Abby how to count to 10.
Too much lightning though, her wand broke. So it's off to...

Yaey 2! The Fix-It-Shop!
Just hope they fix more than the ever-ubiquitous toaster.
What I liked was that the street story just kind of faded out to the batch of sketches.

Highlights:
1 Count Me In, song.
2 Letter of the Day SVU parody.
Man, that was good. And what was funny was that the M got unnerved by the chun-chunning musical barb. Funny in that SS sort of way.
3 Hoots singing with this classical pianist, don't know the song's title right now.
But it was a good musical pairing, the song really came off jazzily and it was a good listen.
4 Global Grover: Iceland. Funny when the AM's at the end mistook Grover for a real puffling and put him inside the cardboard box to take him out to sea.
5 Elmo's World: Friends. This had a good intro and closing because a lot of SS characters showed up at Elmo's door.
Just hope he doesn't try putting that brainwashing cap on them again.
*Nod to Revenge of Elmo, go read it in the FanFic section.
6 They used the song "Stick Out Your Hand" with Andrea Martin's Learning Lady character here, liked it better when it was done by Bert and Ric Moranis in the airplane.
7 There was a segment about two kids getting a snack before going out to play... The way they did it was how I'd've kind of liked SS to have handled the whole "Healthy Habits" angle, not clubbing us over the head with it every single segment, but a nice sort of teaching manner and just let it be.
8 Healthy Storytime... Glad to get Bob narrating stories again. Liked the way the had Sleeping/Leaping Beauty as a sort of dancing diva.

Lowpoints.
1 Didn't like the new rock version of One of These Things.
2 Didn't really care for the dancing segment with the animals.
3 Suzy Kabloozy's version of Everybody Sleeps... Why couldn't we have gotten the classic version sung by Joe Raposo?
Heh, just some random thoughts.

BTW: Missed out on Trash Gordon, will have to wait to see it repeated.
And I'd also like to know what the Count's lines were when he first showed up: something about an Institute of Technology...
And at the very end: something about the comedy standard "Is there a doctor in the house?"
That's all for today, check back tomorrow.

dietrich

Reaction score
Count can you describe the Healthy Storytime? Could you tell who performed Sleeping Beauty and if there were other characters in it. I really want to see it. Thanks

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Sleeping Beauty sounded to me like she was being performed by Leslie Carara. The story also featured a character named Prince Cha-cha-charming. I think he was performed by Joey Mazzarino.

The Trash Gordon segmnet took place on the planet Meatball, where Trash Gordon was surrounded by a large meatball, I think it was brown with eyebrows. It kind of looked like the orange Oscar to me.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was good. It seems like every segment (with the possible exception of The Number of the Day) was new. Abby Cadabby is a good character, though at times she sounds a bit like Baby Bop from Barney (did Leslie Carrara perform Baby Bop's voice? Does anybody care?).

I liked Suzie Kabloozie's song Every Kitty Sleeps. It looks like it was new. Is it?

I liked the Friendship episode of Elmo's World, though I wish that some more of Elmo's Friends were there, such as Herry Monster and some Honkers. The running gag with Zoe and Rocco was great, and I liked seeing Rocco imagine Elmo as a rock.

It was good seeing Hoots the Owl in a new sketch. Hoots looks like he was rebuilt. I like the old puppet better.

Journey to Ernie and The Spanish Word of the Day weren't in this episode. I hope that they still appear this season. And Dinner Theater hasn't been seen yet. Dang. Regarding Journey to Ernie, that skit wasn't in every episode last year either, but at least last year there was always an Ernie sketch shown regardless, but this episode didn't havew an Ernie sketch (unless you count Ernie's background appearances in Elmo's World).

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... The Healthy Storytime started out with Bob's narration. Don't remember the exact rhyme, but he said that Sleeping Beauty liked to get her rest to stay healthy. And then there's the character dancing away, she says with this sort of softened diva voice I liked that she's dancing, and calls herself Leaping Beauty when she dances. She then sang a sort of up-tempo rhyme about her moves, finishing with how now she would get her rest because she was tired from all the exercise done before. She falls into a deep sleep, and then the prince character comes into the scene... He's dancing the cha-cha, which explains why he calls himself Prince Cha-Carming, not sure if that's the correct way it should be written.
He comes to get Sleeping/Leaping Beauty for their dance, but she's sound asleep.
Prince: Oh well, wonder if Cinderella's home.
The guy just sort of steps out of frame, leaving Bob to finish the narration.
End scene. Hope this helps.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I didn't notice that Bob narrarated it. Only his voice was heard.

I think it's a bit odd that the Mail-It Shop was turned back into the fix-it shop, but there weren't any episodes regarding this change.

BEAR

Reaction score
Haven't gotten to see the episode yet. It comes on at 2 different times here, 7 AM and noon, and I was not really able to get myself up earlier enough for the first showing. I normally watch at noon time with my lunch. I will be giving my thoughts then.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I liked the fact that some of the more structured sketches were missing, it felt more random that way. I'm so glad the toaster gag is back and I noticed the old green stair is back in the arbor area.

Love the rebuilt Hoot's puppet. Also love the song him and John Legend did. I think it called Sing a Song, not Sing. David and Olivia sang that a long time ago.

Loved it when Zoe kept bugging Elmo with Rocco throughout the whole segment. Also loved the story book Bob read!

Yeah Bear,I had to set my alarm clock because I always get up to late, but I woke up on time for some reason today.

BEAR

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Yeah Bear,I had to set my alarm clock because I always get up to late, but I woke up on time for some reason today.

I thought of setting my alarm to watch it at 7, but figured I might as well just watch it at noon when they show the exact same episode. That is when I normally watch anyway because I get up at 8:30/9.

D

Dil

C'mon, Sesame Workshop! Enough using 'Elmo's World' in every episode!!!!!