Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School Volume 2

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Dunno why they left out "Kermit the Frog T-Shirt" and "Born to Add". Those are both classics to me :smile:
According to the timeline sequence from The Street We Live On, Born to Add debuted in 1979, I assume that means the eleventh season. I don't know exactly which season the Kermit t-shirt sketch debuted, but I assume that it was during the years that this set represents.

In the meantime, that Kermit skit has been released on Bert and Ernie's Word Play, and Born to Add was included in the out-of-print, hard-to-find video release Learning to Add and Subtract.

ploobis

Reaction score
I just called Best Buy and they still do not have it on the selfs yet but they might have three copies of it there tomorrow like they said earlier.

I hope to GOD they do! No other place I looked had it! :mad:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
So I'm just about halfway through the Classic Cuts on Disc 1 and I'm already in love with this set. It just looks FANTASTIC. I love everything about the packaging, booklet, and discs. The Pinball Number Count cel is incredible as well. I'm just so excited to add this to my collection, all in all, a fantastic set. 5 stars in my book.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Like I said, it's on my Christmas wish list./

gbrobeck

Reaction score
I apologize if I offended anyone. At first I was speculating because when I compared to the original version of the episode it didn't sound like she was singing at all. When I had discovered that she did indeed (barely) sing the song... Phillip alerted me to it by the way... we put that in there as the likely reason. I really didn't realize that the rest of it had remained, even though I approved the version of the review that got published. I also didn't realize that it would offend, but again I deeply apologize to those I have offended.

Greg

ISNorden

Reaction score
I do wonder what made CTW cut "Dialing for Prizes"; was the black-and-white film footage in the middle copyrghted to someone who wouldn't allow its use on home video? That's the only explanation consistent with other edits to the DVD set....

ISNorden

Reaction score
Seems like starting off the season with the #2 is a tradition or something.
Apparently so; at one time, letter sponsors used to follow a cyclical pattern on the show, so why wouldn't the numbers follow one too?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, the only caveat if there is one is that there isn't much variety in the way of number sponsers. other than that, this is going to be an even better set than the first one.

Regarding Muppet Central's review of the set, I think it's pretty disgusting to even suggest that interacial relationships are being shunned. Shame on you Mr Brobeck. Such wild guesswork is how harmful rumors start. I epxect that from a forum, but not in a website review. Quite frankly such assertions offend me deeply, and I'm surprised the review was allowed to be published as is.
Well, the truth is I agree with you there, but then we have to go into the whole Maria falling for Luis speculation (which I don't want to get into it here). I always thought there was a conspiracy there. Plus, unfortunately ,this is still a Taboo in parts of the country. I highly doubt SW would be so blind to edit something like that out for that reason, but I can see where he could have arrived at that conclusion. But it is clearly a music rights thing, not a racial thing as he suggested at first. Those old Crones own the worst song in the world and are billionairs for it. Sorta like Britteny. Ahha ha ha!

I wonder if this would affect SW's releases of EW videos in the future. Maybe they'd just dub out the music with something more public Domain. Like "He's a Jolly Good Fellow" which makes no sense, but it's the most common substitute.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Back in the 1970s, the episodes seemed to be sponsored in numerical order from 2-12 and 20, and then back to 2, skipping one and the numbers 13-19 (though I've seen a talk page at Muppet Wiki from someone who claims that the number 1 did occassionally sponsor the show in the 1970s, and claimed that the season 2 finale was sponsored by 13). The season premier for season 12 was the first season premier to be sponsored by a different number (11), so I guess the show stopped being sponsored by numbers in order then (just like how the shows alphabet sponsors were never in any particular alphabetical order). Although if volume 3 includes the premiers for seasons 11-15, it will still have three epsiodes sponsored by 2.

And the first season was usually sponsored by the same letters and numbers throughout the week. But it was still in numerical order, with shows being sponsored by 1 or 2 numbers, and shows sponsored by 10 were sponsored alone. I think the last few weeks of season 1 were sponsored by different numbers in each show.

By the way, does anybody know what the film clip from Dialing for Prizes is from? I wonder if it could have been produced for Sesame Street, but Sesame Workshop couldn't get clearances from the filmaker of that footage.