Your Feedback: Muppet Central Radio on Live365

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As announced earlier today, phase 1 of our Muppet Central Radio updates are now in place. Here is a summary of the updates that were announced.

1. Every song has been re-recorded to optimize the overall sound of the station.

2. The sound quality of the stream has increased 50% while remaining accessible for users of dial-up and higher.

3. Full track listings including artist, title and album/show are on every song.

4. Transitions from one song to another should be greatly improved for all users.

I tried to find the right balance of keeping the stream at a small bitrite, but significantly increasing the quality for all users. Keep in mind, this is only phase 1. Phase 2 will be rolled out in a couple weeks and include more enhancements. I will announce the purpose of the phase 2 upgrade after it is complete.

Let us know your thoughts and feedback on the latest additions.

Click here to listen to Muppet Central Radio...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/radio/index.shtml

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
question

i know this is an odd one...but if you turned it off at midnight...did that mean you did it all at night? shouldn't you sleep?

Sarah

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I uploaded the files throughout the night while I was sleeping. :sleep:

Figured many in the US would be sleeping too, so it was the best time to take the station off-the-air for 10-12 hours.

Got up early this morning to check on the progress. Then rolled it out about six hours later after everything was ready to go.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Lovin the added source credit, very nice.

What bitrate are the files encoded at? The compression artifacts are more audible now that the material is coming over a wider stream and with a higher frequency. The lower stream bitrate and frequency before used to muffle the audible compression that comes across with the MPEG technology. Overall though, there is a fuller sound.

Thijs

Reaction score
Great work Phil. The quality is much better.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
What bitrate are the files encoded at?
They are 24k with a full frequency response up to 20,050 Hz. Before they were streaming at 16k and topped off at a frequency response of 11,025 Hz.

I experimented with going up to 32k (56k modem minimum), however, the quality jump wasn't as significant as going from 16k to 24k. I also didn't want to alienate some of our dial-up users.

In case you missed it, here is some other technical info about the phase 1 updates.

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=102511#post102511

Luke

Reaction score
It's fantastic quality, but on my dial up connection over here on a 33.6kbps (yes i need to get a cable modem soon) the sound breaks up every 8 seconds or so. Maybe it's just that little bit slower internationally.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Is it easy to get MC radio?

I mean, I used to have it a while back, then last time when I went to go get it again, ya had to register through email or some'in', and it seemed too difficult to try (and I can be rully lazy at times). :embarrassed:

Just curious if has lotsa steps, and if yer email'll get spammed.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Byron,

You do need to register to listen, but your e-mail address will not be given out for any reason. I recommend you use the default Live365 player for the best sound. It's a very small plugin and you only need to install it once. I think you will enjoy all the Janice and Mokey tunes once you sign up.

Status
Not open for further replies.