Your Favorite Cartoons on Sesame Street

mikebennidict

Reaction score
4 people make a table.

(a lady who hammers naills.) ( a man who saws would.) (a man who paints) ( a lady who paints degigns on stuff.) they all decide to make a table and after they're through and thank each other, the table walks away.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Actually, that guy likes painting things bright colors!

How about where a man goes up to a grocer and asks for 5 pounds of bubble gum, purchased as a bulk-food item. The grocer takes a scoop and loads the scale one lb. at a time with multicolored gumballs. When the dial reaches 5, the guy excitedly jumps up and eats it all right off the scale. He promptly blows a huge bubble which sends him floating away.

In another grocer scene, a man asks for 4 apples. But the man keeps changing his mind for various reasons (e.g., so-and-so has false teeth and can't eat apples, the kids will be asleep when I get home), so the grocer keeps taking apples off and putting it back on the scale and tries to figure out how many are there. After a lot of going back and forth, when there's one apple left on the scale, the frustrated grocer sticks it in the man's open mouth and says "Here, have an apple, it's a present from me."

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
It was only sort of animated, but I noticed no one has mentioned the Teeny Little Super Guy. The guy on the glass was animated, so I think it counts as a cartoon. I always liked that one. I also liked the one where the little boy thinks there's an alligator in his room and it's really just his dog Sparky. I'm sure this one was already mentioned, but I just remembered it today when I saw it in another thread.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
remember this one?

the guy wants to use the telephonr booth and the aligator wants to use it. the man kids him by saying you're going to telephone your wife and tell her you'll be late getting home for supper. aligator says that's right. so while the other person leave the phone booth, the aligator walks in tell his wife he's still downtown and thought he's phone to say he'll grab something to eat here. the man laughs and says to the aligator as he gets out grab something to eat here? aligator says that's right and eats the phone booth. he probably should of eaten the man for teasing him.

Soul H

Reaction score
My top tenfavourtie cartoons are:

10. The meditator counting to 20 with his 20 fingers
9. The Alligator King
8. The Swedish Animation Number Cartoons
7. The E Song with the haunting yet beautiful music
6. H for HELLO?!? Hello this is Henry! Did I get any calls?
5. Jazzy Spies all the way
4. Wanda The Witch
3. Rocks counting to 12
2. The Typewriter Guy

And as I said in "Favourite Sesame Street Songs", my number 1 favourite cartoon is...

(drumroll and cymbal crash)

SOUL H! Since my name is Henry, you can see why I choose that song usually.

(By the way, does the H for Hello cartoons guy named Henry or Harold?)

Ziffel

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
In another grocer scene, a man asks for 4 apples. But the man keeps changing his mind for various reasons (e.g., so-and-so has false teeth and can't eat apples, the kids will be asleep when I get home), so the grocer keeps taking apples off and putting it back on the scale and tries to figure out how many are there. After a lot of going back and forth, when there's one apple left on the scale, the frustrated grocer sticks it in the man's open mouth and says "Here, have an apple, it's a present from me."

This one is one of my all time fave SS cartoons. Loved the increasing frustration of that grocer! When the customer said, "Uh what am I thinking" the grocer hilariously in a defeated way says, " I don't know." Then the customer says "She has false teeth; she couldn't very well eat an apple could she" and laughs. And the grocer laughs too but sarcastically of course!
And the final line of the customer (to which the grocer puts the apple in his mouth) saying,"On second thought..." was a riot! By this time it was more like on 99th thought!
I also loved the Alligator King like a lot of other muppet fans have mentioned. A very well written one, with fun to listen to music.
The one where the bear drums on the bee hive and says, "1,2,3,4,5, watch the bees go in their hive" always appealed a lot to me.
There was also one I haven't seen since the early 70's that involved a talking triangle and a talking square. I had always enjoyed it, but am vague on much of its details now. I do recall the square doing a kind of dance and the triangle laughs and says, "Oh boy, are you square!" - a joke that went over my head as a 4 yr old!
As more great ones come to mind, I'll post on this thread again. By the way, anyone remember that SS once did a brief cartoon with Jughead and one with The Pink Panther? Jughead jumps in a lake and The Pink Panther karate chops the letter k.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
As more great ones come to mind, I'll post on this thread again. By the way, anyone remember that SS once did a brief cartoon with Jughead and one with The Pink Panther? Jughead jumps in a lake and The Pink Panther karate chops the letter k.
Jughead from Archie Comics does a sketch about the letter J. There was a large J beside him as words appeared with the letter leading.

Approximate quote: "Jughead was in a jam-eating contest, but he couldn't open the jar. So, I told the judge, who asked me to see the janitor, and he told me to jump in the lake! (Which we saw him do, off-camera, though with some splashing water visible) Then he said, he was only joking. Uh-heh-heh (embarrased giggle)

With a bit of the famous Henry Mancini theme, a voiceover says (approximately) "A demonstration from the Pink Panther about the letter K. For the word 'Karate'." In the animation, The PP, dressed in a black belt, approaches a rectangular slab of stone and makes three vocal chops, forming into a K. As the good panther takes a bow, the letter instantly crumbles into gravel. PP is a bit perplexed by that.

SesameMike

Reaction score
The fiddler on the numbers

Remember those number animations with that fiddler, the one who looks like he does calls for a square-dance quartet? I've never seen a list of them.

1 -- don't remember; may not have been one

2 -- It's called the 2-step. "You dance 1-2 on the tips of your toes, careful not to step on your girlfriend's nose." The dancers continue: "1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2..."
Fiddler: "Oh that's it, easy to do, all you have to do is count to 2." Then we saw pairs of other animals go by, including caribou and kangaroo.

3 -- An old lady laughing on a rocking chair with three triads of animals. "...3 snapping turtles go snap-snap-snap, and they all play together on a fat lady's lap. 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3. 'hee-hee-hee-hee-hee'"

4 -- Four lions entered his door, sat down, and started roaring. The fiddler was consequently scared out of his wits, and left "to go to the store" for a week or so. (That must be one huge mall he's going to.)

5 -- Some weirdo farm in which the animals, in groups of five course, make the wrong sounds. I think the cat's croaked and the frogs meowed. In the morning the cow's crowed, though number 5 in the group was really an oddball; it (gasp!) moo-ed!

6 -- He counted six snails, then six ships which turned out to be riding on the backs of cetaceans. "Oh those six sailing ships, on six spouting whales, all get home to dinner, long before the snails." At the very end, he spontaneously turned a bit angry and yelled "Get up snails, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6". To each count he stomped his shoe, causing the escargot to bounce into the air.

mikealan

Reaction score
Definately, the word-bubble animations and the sand letters! I loved how the letter word-bubble animations were made and I've created my own SS animated sketches that are alot like the word-bubble animations but I used different words besides the ones we saw! Examples of the classic letter shorts include:

Carpenter: (clears throat) "A-hem! L,...lunchbox!" (Red lunchbox appears in a word-bubble. Opens lunchbox and a scary-looking green clown pops out...like a jack-in-the-box!)
Clown: "MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!"
Carpenter: "L!"

Fat Man: (clears throat) "Ahem! L,...(as the woman's lips appear in a word-bubble) lips!"
Lips: *kissing man* "MMMMMMMMMWA!"
Fat Man: "BLECCH! (getting really disgusted) L!"

Man: (pointing to the candle) "C,...candle!" (Blows candle and candle blows him off the screen!) *high-pitched* "C....." (loud crash heard off-screen)

Man: "C,...(as a cowboy appears in a word-bubble) cowboy!"
(Cowboy hangs man upside-down by rope)
Man & Cowboy: "C!"

Man: (on alligator's back) "I, island!"
Alligator: *rising up in anger* "ISLAND????!!!!!!"
Man: "heh-heh. I!"

Short Man: "Er, this will be Take 11...(clears throat) A-hem! (long pause) I,...iron! (Iron appears in a word-bubble and cleans the word 'iron'. It fades back to an 'i') I! (to viewer) Um, thank you! Thank you very much!"

Bald-Head Man: "H, hair!" (hair grows on man's head) "H!"

(The scene is the forest and the background is yellow. The tree is next to the man in a white suit)
White Suit Man: "Q,....(woodpecker pecks the tree several times) QUIET!! (woodpecker kept pecking the tree several times again, until the tree begins to fall and crush man!) *CRASH!!!!!!* AAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!! Q..."

Football Player#1: (holding the letter 'k' as a football with his finger) "K, kick!"
(Football Player#2 kicks the 'k' into the air and Small Football Player catches it. Football Player#'s 1-2 tackle him)
Football Player#'s 1-2: "AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!! (land on Small Football Player)"
Small Football Player: "K...."

Remember those?

astrotrain

Reaction score
Here's my list ..

10. Ladybug Picnic
09. The Captial I (we all live)
08. Lower Case N (standing on a hill)
07. Typewritter Guy
06. The Counting Segment (1....*woosh*..2..*woosh*...3..*woosh*)
05. Swami Counting (sitar music... very trippy)
04. Pinball Song (1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11.12.....)
03. The Aligator King
02. Store List (container of milk, stick of butter, loaf of bread)
01. Make the First Thing Last (the tripy guy at the end with the yo-yo
who tells the lost kid on the bike..to make the first thing last)

[yes I am showing my age....] :smirk: