1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Who wants the future Muppet movies to be...

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by caper, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

One Muppet movie that I wish had been made was "The Next Muppet Movie" (a.k.a. "When Muppets Attack!"). Proposed back in 1999, this was to have began production after MFS was released. Here's Brian Lynch's review of the script:

"The name of it was THE NEXT MUPPET MOVIE, and it was the same universe as THE MUPPET MOVIE, only years and years later, and the Muppets were hugely successful and some were getting kind of spoiled. Kermit’s trying to keep them together and he’s stressing out.

Anyway, an evil Hollywood agent signs the Muppets and starts putting them in solo movies and TV shows (Gonzo is the next James Bond and the next Batman, the Electric Mayhem goes Marilyn Manson-y after Animal starts a solo rap career, that kinda thing).

Kermit has to pull together a makeshift band of Muppets (Robin, Rizzo, Pepe, Bean Bunny, Digit from THE JIM HENSON HOUR, etc.) to re-start the Muppet show.

Eventually Kermit figures out the Agent had an ulterior motive in breaking up the Muppets, goes to confront the Agent, gets kidnapped, and the original Muppets have to work with the newbies to save him. The ending involves a lot of Ninjas, a giant Elephant, a seven foot Kermit, and Gonzo saving the day by crashing through the skylight in his Batman gear.

The Agent runs away, the Muppets all come back together, everyone is happy…
    …but at the very end, we see the Agent gets dropped off by a taxi, fully ready to try to break up a new group. As he walks away, we pan out and reveal he’s on Sesame Street.

Cameos were from Pierce Brosnan, John Cleese, Mary Tyler Moore, Marilyn Manson, all the Sesame Street Characters, Mr. Rogers, the Teletubbies…it was epic.

I talked to Michael Keaton once who had read the script and wanted to meet me because of it. I asked him to play the agent if it ever got made, and he said that would be cool. I’m very sorry it didn’t get made.

That’s the most I’ve ever spoiled about it. It was like a purging."
    Vincent Liu and jvcarroll like this.
  2. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

That sounds hilarious. That would have been a nice movie if it were made. Well hopefully it would be in the idea pile next to The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever, Muppets Haunted Hotel, etc.
  3. mupcollector1

I think it would just be really difficult to do another Walter story. Anyone hear the rumor about there being a Bobo movie that isn't a Muppet movie, like his own solo movie? UGH! bad idea in my personal opinion.

Yeah Cheapest Muppet Movie ever would probably work well as a TV Special. Unless if there are ways to have a rediculous plot and quality slows down until the very end like paper crayon drawn background and popcycle puppets as stand ins or something like that. I got to read the original plot again. If it's unaltered, the original Jim, Jerry and Frank script, that would be great.

Also the Muppets Haunted Hotel script that got passed around for many many years. Anyone still remember that one? lol
  4. Mo Frackle

Oh, sure I remember reading about the "Haunted Hotel" film. Not sure what it was going to about. Maybe an update on the old horror comedies (i.e. "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein")?

Was a script even written for "Cheapest"? Obviously, the film was still in the planning stages for years, and maybe an early summary was written, but I'm not sure if a full script was actually written.

This is the first I heard of a Bobo film. Honestly, I don't think it's that bad of an idea. In fact, I'd like to see somebody flesh out Bobo's character some more.
  5. mupcollector1

If a Bobo film was ever made, I can already guess one celebrity that would defiantly be on there. Cindy Croffered. lol
    Bobo had a crush on her in a Muppet Tonight episode right? Was it Cindy Croffered?

That was a funny episode where cupid was cleaning his arrow gun and it kept shooting everyone, even Sal having a little crush on Johnny. I forgot what Sal told Johnny but his response was his eyebrow raised and said "Excuse Me?" lol
  6. Mo Frackle

Yep, that was Cindy Crawford.

The Johnny-Sal dialogue went like this:

Sal: "Ya know, Johnny?"
    Johnny: "Yeah, kid?"
    Sal: "When the light hits you a certain way, you look awful sharp! Yeah, kinda pretty like!"
    Johnny: "Excuse me?"

This episode also had Bobo's suggestive line, "Maybe you'll let me play with them later!".
  7. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

This was discussed a few posts back that the title is just until they know what the storyline is actually gonna be and when their ready to release more details.
  8. Mo Frackle

Another unmade movie that comes to mind, "Muppets in Space" (not to be confused with "Muppets from Space"). "In Space" was a script that Kirk Thatcher wrote, involving Kermit getting kidnapped by aliens (the aliens, who look like Kermit, had the Muppet Show beamed up to their planet; they think Kermit is their leader). It's up to the rest of the Muppets to save Kermit. Jerry Juhl once commented on this script, saying "I hope someday Kirk's movie gets made, because it is really funny."
  9. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Well, that is if the Disney bodyguards don't shoo you away first... ;)
  10. Pinkflower7783

Lol! How true that is!!
  11. dwmckim

The title of "Muppets 2" has been discussed in every third thread in this forum since it was teased. HIGHLY unlikely that will be the actual title of the next movie.

In fact...taking a big risk here since i don't know if i'm allowed to spill the beans here...but i have it on good authority that it will actually be called "The Muppets 3,672"
    Muppet fan 123, Cindy and jvcarroll like this.
  12. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Actually, it's "The Muppets 3.141592653589793"
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  13. Pinkflower7783

HELLO!!! Words from the frog himself!!!

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  14. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

No offense, but I wish there was an "unlike" button.
    No, why would they be called Muppets then. Other wise they should be....The CGIs! (There would be no marionette or puppets, so why would they keep their name?)
    Sorry buddy, but have you seen the new Muppet movie? The puppeteering was amazing and looked very real. And you just have to admit that Walter did some pretty cool stuff.
  15. Yuna Leonhart

Yuna Leonhart Well-Known Member

Good point, Kermit. CGI is nice and all but not for Muppets. The Muppets were puppets, are puppets and will always be puppets. I can't imagine anyone wanting it in any other way.
  16. Muppet fan 123

No they did not. They used blue screen technology. It's all just puppeteering.
    http://www.awn.com/articles/article/finessing-muppets
    Now that I proved my point on that, I don't think Jim would want the characters to be CGI, at all!
  17. Pinkflower7783

Still you can't deny the fact that Jim was very much into technology and how it was evolving at the time. I believe I posted a video about it. However Jim did say inspite of all the latest technology "simple is good too." Like I said before I am not totally knocking CGI I think it's an amazing thing what their doing with it but like most people in another 20 years from now I wanna be able to still shake Kermit's hand. Otherwise I'd look pretty silly trying to do that with a CGI frog.
  18. Muppet fan 123

Just want to say something else.
    The Muppets are REAL. They exist in our world. They are real human beings (actually, frogs, chickehs, bears..and a whatever) who have feelings, like a real human.
    You can actually meet (example) Gonzo in person. I remember they talked about something similar on the MuppetCast (Steve Whitmire episode part 1).
    {quote} "You can go to Walt Disney World, for example, and meet Cinderella, and tell her a secret, but when you come back the next day, Cinderella might be there, but she won't remember what you told her. It might be a different person in a Cinderella costume. If you tell something to Gonzo, and come back two years later, Gonzo will remember you, and so will Dave Goelz. Gonzo is nothing without Dave puppeteering him, without Dave, Gonzo doesn't exist anymore."
    Have you ever met a CGI character? (I didn't think so, and no one ever did, not real, not a possibility.) But I know people, who have met real Muppets! With a CGI character, maybe you can meet the guy who provide the voice, but it wouldn't mean much anymore. These puppeteers bring these characters to life, voice actors, don't. That's the work of a big group of animators.
    Sure, CGI is cool. No denying that TED looks really good. But the magic of The Muppets would be lost forever if they were tranfered to CGI.
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  19. Muppet fan 123

True! There is no way I can deny that. Jim was very interested in CGI. (Where do you think Waldo came out of?)
    But to think that Jim would want his Muppets being tranfered to CGI? Nope. Not a chance.
  20. dwmckim

While i don't want CGI Muppets, at the same time there's no harm or shame if CGI enhanced the Muppets. It's a tool - in itself neither positive or negative - it's how it's used that makes all the difference. No different than arm wires (or later on the ability to remove arm wires from the screen), chromakey or remote control. Or in Piggy-speak, you don't need to dress the Muppets up with a full CGI wardrobe, but it can make a fetching accessory.
    jvcarroll and Pinkflower7783 like this.