1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Who wants the future Muppet movies to be...

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by caper, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I don't think the majority of us do think CGI is the devil. I actually really like CGI, and I think it's a great thing, as long as it's used properly...the Muppets in CGI = not being used properly. But there are a ton of great uses for CGI.
    Vincent Liu likes this.
  2. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Where is that performance capture clip of Kermit and Rizzo in CG? Does anybody remember that? Someone posted that like 10 years ago. It was odd.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Moderator Staff Member

That was from MuppetFest. There's a picture in the MuppetFest photo gallery under Day 2. Let me see if I can post it here.
  4. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I just saw the pictures people were referring to from Muppet Fest and I still stand by my opinion.
  5. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Thanks! I also thought there was some sort of clip of a head-to-toe walking CG Kermit with a Rizzo scurrying underneath him.
  6. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

No, just no.

One of the core things that seperates the Muppets from any other entertainment property is that they exist in REAL LIFE and we believe they are real. So much of their comedy, if nothing else, revolves around this fact. But also, their improvisational skills, heart, warmth and uniqueness stems from their Puppetry.

No way.
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  7. mo

mo Well-Known Member

WHAT! no! just no! the muppets are puppets! there the only thing left in classic entertainment that I like! evrything is CGI now all the upcoming disney movies...and that stuff! I don't like the look of that movie mainly because I see it evrytime I go to the movies! pleez....pleeze....please! don't make the muppets CGI!!
  8. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

Put it this way, I'd like to see the Muppets as puppets replaced with CGI about as much as I would my own family. They have flaws, could have a few rough edges smoothed out with pixels but I wouldn't have them any other way! Leave CGI for Dinosaurs, Robots and Aliens! I personally feel CGI is the tool of the devil in a lot of peoples hands and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overused!
  9. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Agreed one hundred percent.
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  10. caper

caper Member

Wow, ok so i'm the minority :o

I know I don't want a "digitize" muppets either. I don't want them looking like PIXAR characters.

But TED does not look like CGI or digitized.....he actually looks like a REAL furry Life Like Stuffed animal in a REAL world. That is what I meant about CGI.....I don't want the Muppets to be CGI like Shrek, Kung-Fu Panda, or Toy Story.

They would still look like the actual Muppets with CGI animatronics like Ted.

Actually the new Muppets already went on that direction. Rememeber when they kidnapped Jack Black....Swedish Chef was CGI on that scene. And Walter was also CGI when they showed his full body walking on the sink.

;)
  11. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

For the Walter walking scene, I'm pretty sure they didn't use CGI. They used blue screen, taping the puppet's movements in front of a blank blue screen, then adding in the background. I would imagine the Swedish Chef also was like that.

The problem with using CGI for the Muppets is that it takes so much away from everything the Muppets are. The performers don't just pick up a Muppet and make his mouth move and read a script. That's not how it works. Part of the magic of the Muppets is that each performer feels a personal connection with their characters, and is able to understand and express any emotions the characters may be feeling in the script. If we would eliminate that, it would be the animators' jobs to do this, and because they may not totally understand the character, the characters may fall flat.
  12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I am completely for CGI aided puppetry. I think the member is talking more or less complete and utter CGI replacement. That I'm not a fan of.

If, for some reason the Fraggle Rock film gets made, and they have to have the Doozers CGI for various reasons, I'd be mixed... as long as the Fraggles, Gorgs, and Sprocket are their regular selves... and only if the CGI Doozers are WALDO system assisted.

That's hypothetically of course.
  13. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

CGI would not be the Muppets...Love Cgi...The Pizar films are amazing and I loved the Hulk in Avengers a great deal....and who could forget Gollum in Lord of the RIngs...and Jar Jar Binks performanc in Star Wars was Oscar Worthy...wait forget that last one...but the Muppets need to be Puppets... I agree that some shots could use digital enhancements but I think the atraction to them is the fact they are one of the last areas where puppetry is still used effectively and it brings a very particular life to the performances. Besides scooter warned us about this at the TED conference.
    Muppet fan 123 and Drtooth like this.
  14. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

My reaction to CG Muppets:
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

CGI isn't evil at all. It's a medium, and like all media, it's art when used properly. The only thing that made the overuse of CGI in Star Wars look weird was the wooden-ness of the directing of human actors (serious acting does not equal wooden acting) making the CGI characters look more cartoonish.

I wouldn't be opposed to, say, a CGI Muppet cartoon series, as that's the same thing basically as a 2-D animated Muppet project (that's why I'm comfortable with Abby's Flying School... also because they have claymation Ernie and Bert). But for a film and future Muppet regular TV projects, they need to be their old puppet selves.
  16. Puppet crazy

Puppet crazy Member

ARGH! That would the day I would officially stop being a fan.
  17. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Short answer: no.
    Long answer: nooooooooooooooo.
    Muppet fan 123, dwmckim and Hubert like this.
  18. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

Not to mention if the Muppets were CGI, Scooter wouldn't have made that appearance anyway. I like my Muppets with felt and not pixels.
    DannyRWW likes this.
  19. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Another reaction to CG Muppets:
    Muppet fan 123 and DannyRWW like this.
  20. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

There was an ad done a couple of years ago, I think it was for Chrysler, and it was essentially digital puppets sat around a table discussing the product. It was such a superfluous exercise in wasting money. The CGI puppets were terrible and had none of the charm real puppets do. I can remember at the time cursing the thought of disney doing the same to the Muppets and if that ever happened I honestly think I'd perform a self-labotomy so I didn't have to process the idea! It would be wrong...wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG!! Hopefully Disney are reading this and if that is the case I have one word for them..."WRONG!!!!!" :)